Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Colour of water hose
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Colour of water hose

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/18 02:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy a white hose and keep everyone happy or, use a green hose and tell everyone you use a white hose. [emoticon]

westend

Shorewood, MN

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/18 04:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a couple of white hoses for campground use. I fill my steel tank at home with whatever hose is on the outside valve. Typically, I'll run some water through the hose to eliminate that usual plastic taste. Actually, after I fill the steel tank with 20 gals of water, there is no taste of hose in the water. I bleach-rinse the system every year to remove any bacteria or algae/rust that inhabits the water system.

FWIW, I've had a drink from regular garden hoses in different locations for 60 years, never a problem.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/18 04:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Water Hoses labeled for 'safe' drinking are supposed to be lower in lead than garden hoses. Look for hoses labeled 100% free from toxic chemicals commonly found in garden hoses, such as lead, BPA, or phthalates (plasticizers).

BUT, note that unfortunately the 'cheap china connections' they put on most of these safe water drinking hoses are usually loaded with lead. I.E. camco RV hose.[emoticon]

Here is e erything you ever wanted to know about water hoses and then some!

Here is the link of tested hoses.... the best and the worst. Chose your weapon to beat the wonderful world of chemicals! [emoticon]
https://saferchemicals.org/newsroom/new-study-rates-best-and-worst-garden-hoses/

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/18 04:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

swimmer_spe wrote:

OP here.

I don't ever plan on hooking up water and have it pressurizing my system. It is only to fill the tank and then put it away, out of the sun.

That is a good plan.

I don't hookup to city water connection either
Use to but back in 2008 a $.50 fitting broke and flooded my 5th wheel while sleeping....$6000 repairs/costs

So it has been fresh water tank/pump ever since

BUT I still use a POTABLE water hose to fill tank with

When I am hooked to city water I always turn the water off at the site when I am going to be gone for a few hours or more.

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/18 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

Buy a white hose and keep everyone happy or, use a green hose and tell everyone you use a white hose. [emoticon]
^^^ this is what I do.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/18 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on whether you plan to drink from the tap. We don’t, using tap only for toilet/shower/dish washing, and drink/cook with bottled water.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/18 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MarkTwain wrote:

When I am hooked to city water I always turn the water off at the site when I am going to be gone for a few hours or more.

that is why I hook up to the spigot using a 90 degree throw brass valve making it a 5 second procedure, not a 2 minute twist/twist/twist on a knob buried down a hole.
bumpy

azrving

Oatman

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/18 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a white hose but painted it green just to make people gasp.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/18 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockhillmanor wrote:

Here is the link of tested hoses.... the best and the worst. Chose your weapon to beat the wonderful world of chemicals! [emoticon]
https://saferchemicals.org/newsroom/new-study-rates-best-and-worst-garden-hoses/

I "glanced" at that hysteria and thought that it covered standard garden hoses, not potable water ones. I do't really think that phthalates in my black tank will add much "damage". [emoticon]
bumpy

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/18 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azrving wrote:

I bought a white hose but painted it green just to make people gasp.

a less labor intensive solution would be to use one of the blue ones rated for potable water. [emoticon]
bumpy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Colour of water hose
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS