Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Has anyone seen a Roxor used as a towed?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

 > Has anyone seen a Roxor used as a towed?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

Full Member

Joined: 08/23/2017

View Profile


Online
Posted: 09/29/18 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have watched a few You tube vid's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITzj8r-95BU
and visited the site from Mahindra
https://www.roxoroffroad.com/roxor-offroad-vehicles
I understand that some mods have to be done, turn signals, lights etc, has anyone been able to use these on road? And specific to here, can it be flat towed?
4 cyl turbo diesel willy's copy seems awesome.
I jumped to towed vehicles , why is this here?
Mod please move before the screaming starts.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 10/09/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/29/18 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Better get one quick. FCA initiated a trade dress lawsuit and design infringement suit against Mahindra USA and the parent company last week, seeing unspecified damages and immediate discontinuation of production. They are made (btw) in Farminbgton Hills, Michigan, not India.

If the reliability is as good as Mahindra tractors, I'd be careful about getting one. I hear their tractors are basically junk.


2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

1492

Washington, DC

Moderator

Joined: 04/08/2005

View Profile



Posted: 09/29/18 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Posting Help and Support

Thunder Mountain

Lost in the Four Corners

Senior Member

Joined: 02/09/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/29/18 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

I have watched a few You tube vid's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITzj8r-95BU
and visited the site from Mahindra
https://www.roxoroffroad.com/roxor-offroad-vehicles
I understand that some mods have to be done, turn signals, lights etc, has anyone been able to use these on road? And specific to here, can it be flat towed?
4 cyl turbo diesel willy's copy seems awesome.
I jumped to towed vehicles , why is this here?
Mod please move before the screaming starts.


Do a search on "Roxor Mahindra lawsuit." They started building these under license from Willys. FCA may have a tough road.

Now, back to your question about using on for a towed. This is an off road vehicle. Yes, you will have to make mods to drive in on the street, but you can only license it for on road use in states where UTVs and ATVs can be licensed and ridden on the street. Arizona and Utah come to mind.

I saw a couple of these at a campground in Apache Junction last winter. Thought they were interesting. A friend of mine was looking at them last week and let me look at a brochure and specifications. The ground clearance in only 9". The max speed is 45 mph which might be problematic for on road use. The rest of the specs are really interesting.


2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2012 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2013 Keystone Outback 250RS
2013 Ford F150 FX4 Ecoboost
2 Arctic Cats
1 Wildcat
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

Full Member

Joined: 08/23/2017

View Profile


Online
Posted: 09/29/18 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thunder Mountain wrote:



Now, back to your question about using on for a towed. This is an off road vehicle. Yes, you will have to make mods to drive in on the street, but you can only license it for on road use in states where UTVs and ATVs can be licensed and ridden on the street. Arizona and Utah come to mind.

I saw a couple of these at a campground in Apache Junction last winter. Thought they were interesting. A friend of mine was looking at them last week and let me look at a brochure and specifications. The ground clearance in only 9". The max speed is 45 mph which might be problematic for on road use. The rest of the specs are really interesting.


If it is licensed and plated in one state, do others out west accept that?

I saw a user group that mentioned the speed being a limiting chip, some had deleted or modded it and speeds up to 70 were common.
My curiosity was gearboxes handling 50-60 towed and if there was a major problem with bucking.
Apparently the leaf springs and straight axles on this short wheelbase get quirky.

Thunder Mountain

Lost in the Four Corners

Senior Member

Joined: 02/09/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/29/18 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it is licensed and plated in one state, do others out west accept that?

No, they don't. Even though it is licensed and plated, it is not a motor vehicle. It is a UTV. It is not subject to Federal safety and environmental regulations that govern automobiles. The title will show it as a UTV. I believe that some states title them as a motorcycle. It will have a sticker somewhere on it that states that it is an off road vehicle.


Here is Colorado we have several counties that allow UTVs on public roads. I my county, Chaffee, only a few roads are open. It is a state by state option with some states allowing it to be under county or municipal jurisdiction.

If you live in a state such as Colorado which will not allow you to plate a UTV, you will have to find a way to title and plate it in a state that does. Many snowbirds title and plate their UTVs in Arizona. My Polaris RZR is titled and plated in Montana. The plate is lifetime and cost $200. I have two registrations. One is on road and the other off road.

* This post was edited 09/29/18 04:54pm by Thunder Mountain *

westernrvparkowner

montana

Senior Member

Joined: 11/29/2008

View Profile



Posted: 09/29/18 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Thunder Mountain wrote:



Now, back to your question about using on for a towed. This is an off road vehicle. Yes, you will have to make mods to drive in on the street, but you can only license it for on road use in states where UTVs and ATVs can be licensed and ridden on the street. Arizona and Utah come to mind.

I saw a couple of these at a campground in Apache Junction last winter. Thought they were interesting. A friend of mine was looking at them last week and let me look at a brochure and specifications. The ground clearance in only 9". The max speed is 45 mph which might be problematic for on road use. The rest of the specs are really interesting.


If it is licensed and plated in one state, do others out west accept that?

I saw a user group that mentioned the speed being a limiting chip, some had deleted or modded it and speeds up to 70 were common.
My curiosity was gearboxes handling 50-60 towed and if there was a major problem with bucking.
Apparently the leaf springs and straight axles on this short wheelbase get quirky.
If the jurisdiction does not allow UTVs, ATVs, OHVs or any other such vehicles on the highways, they won't make exceptions due to out of state licenses. You will also be prohibited from many national parks, even if the state allows them.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

Senior Member

Joined: 04/01/2005

View Profile



Posted: 09/29/18 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The vertical bar grille is trademarked by Jeep, so that is a clear infringement. Other than that, not sure what all FCA might be claiming.


Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point


mowermech

Billings, MT

Senior Member

Joined: 06/28/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/30/18 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

The vertical bar grille is trademarked by Jeep, so that is a clear infringement. Other than that, not sure what all FCA might be claiming.


IIRC, Jeep holds a trademark for a 7 SLOT grill. The Roxor, made under license from Willys, has a FIVE SLOT grill, due to a previous (settled) lawsuit.
The Roxor CAN be made street legal in some states, just as my two Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs are street legal here, licensed as motorcycles. In fact, I have seen a Roxor on the street in downtown Billings carrying a dealer temporary plate! As time goes on, and more accessories become available (tops, heaters, "bling", lift kits, etc.) I expect to see a quite a few more of them.
Whether the Roxor is towable or not depends on the transfer case. Some Jeep CJ models were not towable due to a lack of lubrication in the T-case when being towed. That problem was fixable by taking a certain gear or slider out, welding fins on it to splash the lube better, then re-installing it. IIRC, the CJ7 was one such Jeep.


CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 10/09/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/30/18 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thunder Mountain wrote:

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

I have watched a few You tube vid's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITzj8r-95BU
and visited the site from Mahindra
https://www.roxoroffroad.com/roxor-offroad-vehicles
I understand that some mods have to be done, turn signals, lights etc, has anyone been able to use these on road? And specific to here, can it be flat towed?
4 cyl turbo diesel willy's copy seems awesome.
I jumped to towed vehicles , why is this here?
Mod please move before the screaming starts.


Do a search on "Roxor Mahindra lawsuit." They started building these under license from Willys. FCA may have a tough road.Do a search on "Roxor Mahindra lawsuit." They started building these under license from Willys. FCA may have a tough road.

Now, back to your question about using on for a towed. This is an off road vehicle. Yes, you will have to make mods to drive in on the street, but you can only license it for on road use in states where UTVs and ATVs can be licensed and ridden on the street. Arizona and Utah come to mind.

I saw a couple of these at a campground in Apache Junction last winter. Thought they were interesting. A friend of mine was looking at them last week and let me look at a brochure and specifications. The ground clearance in only 9". The max speed is 45 mph which might be problematic for on road use. The rest of the specs are really interesting.


I agree in part. Willy's-Overland licensed Mahindra to build the CJ2 military version many years ago but not to sell them stateside, only in foreign lands..... and, the Roxor may look like a CJ but underneath, it's not.

I believe FCA has a very strong case but we will let the FTC decide.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

 > Has anyone seen a Roxor used as a towed?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS