Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Condensation on upper inside walls ral cold morn
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Condensation on upper inside walls ral cold morn

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Padlin

W. Ma.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/18 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We carry and use a 15 pint dehumidifier, works perfectly but our trailer is only 140 sq' so you'd need to size one for your trailer. On the down side, they kick off quite a bit of heat, good when it's cool, not so good when it's warm. At times I run the A/C and the dehumidifier at the same time.

Something about running the vent fan with an open window when it's in the 40's just seems a bit off to me so I go this route.

Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/18 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Padlin wrote:

We carry and use a 15 pint dehumidifier, works perfectly but our trailer is only 140 sq' so you'd need to size one for your trailer. On the down side, they kick off quite a bit of heat, good when it's cool, not so good when it's warm. At times I run the A/C and the dehumidifier at the same time.

Something about running the vent fan with an open window when it's in the 40's just seems a bit off to me so I go this route.

on the heat, a dehumidifier is basically an unvented self contained AC unit. water condenses on the cooling unit, just like a AC unit, drips into the collection pan. but the high side (heat) of the AC isn't outside, it's in the dehumidifier. So, yes they do put out some heat.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/18 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got a 25 quart per day by Whirlpool that I picked up at Lowe's about 4 or 5 years ago. It has casters on it and I can roll it around if I need to. I don't have slide outs but it will fit under the table of the dinette and still have plenty of room for air to circulate while running. If I needed to use the Dinette I can roll it over by the jack knife sofa or down the aisle towards the bathroom.

It holds about 2 gallons and has an automatic shut-off when the bucket is full. I usually empty it once a day. That's after a 7 to 8 gallon shower every other day while running the bathroom vent, using only the microwave to cook or heat up food and using a 4-cup Mr. Coffee machine once a day.

JJnLilly

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/18 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Learned a long time ago with our first pop-up to let air flow to avoid the condensation. Even on the coldest night our bedroom roof vent stays open some. Would rather have it a little chilly than let that moisture do its dirty work (mold).

2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2014 Open Range 337RLS

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/18 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Though the De-Humidifier does kick some heat into the house (Note the watts on the id tag and do the watts-BTU math same as if it was a heater).

It is basically an air-conditioner.
Sucks in warm moist air over evaporator coils.. Same as your A/C does. then passes the same now cool dry air over the condenser coils. (The A/C has the condenser coils outside and uses outdoor air on them. passing the cold air back into the RV.)

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

SageCrispin

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/18 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boy, I really hate to admit ignorance, but my 10 year old Carrier AC units have a "Dry" setting on the controller. I guess I should look up what that does....

We've run out in the house, but the RV has two.

Damon Challenger.
Jeep Unlimited toad

mchero

Henniker, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/18 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great information!
We have been full timing for last 3 years. We squeegee the shower walls after showering.
We also run ventless propane heater and also keep window/vent cracked.
Looking at de-humidifiers BUT want a low amp draw unit. How many amps these smaller units draw?

* This post was edited 10/07/18 08:22pm by mchero *

Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/18 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mchero wrote:

Great information!
We have been full timing for last 3 years. We squeegee the shower walls after showering.
Looking at de-humidifiers BUT want a low amp draw unit. How many amps these smaller units draw?

a ventless propane heater will dump about 3.5 quarts of water into the camper air for every gallon of propane burned. works against keeping the trailer dry in wet climates. works nice in very dry places to humidify. Same with your stove/oven. Furnace and HWH vent the exhaust outside so no water inside.

smaller units draw around 2-3 amps @ 120V figure 200-300 running watts.

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/18 10:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my small, D/H draws 6 amps and works good in my 27ft. T/T.
Jay D.

Padlin

W. Ma.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/18 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mchero wrote:

Great information!

My discontinued 15pt comes on at bout 4 then drops back to 2 amps. Other 15pt'ers I've seen draw from 300-600w depending on the setting.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Condensation on upper inside walls ral cold morn
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS