Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: inverter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> inverter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
snow0700

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/18 11:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

does anyone know of any companies that might install a inverter. in our class c..my husband said it may be too much of a job for him to do it, and does not know how to tie it in with the generator.. ty

Mandalay Parr

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/18 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What size?
Where are you located?
Ask around for an RV service company or an experienced electrician.

Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
[email protected]
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/18 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An inverter changes 12vdc to 120 vac. Your generator should put out 120 vac so an inverter should not be required. Perhaps you are thinking of a converter which changes the 120vac to 12vdc???

When you plug into house power do you get 12vdc in your MH? Using your generator should do the same thing.

Am I missing something?

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

ronfisherman

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/18 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you live in MI I would look for one of the many service companies in and around Elkhart IN. Many of them specialize in electronic and electrical. Upgrades.
When I did mine I went with a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter and a seperate Automatic Generator Starter. Fairly easy install. Parallels around generator start switch that already should be on RV.
If your DH can do the Inverter install. Then the AGS should be easy.

2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
TST tire pressure monitor system
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad

Super C Group Forum

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/18 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi snow0700,

If your husband is replacing a broken inverter with a new one, the project should be fairly simple & straight forward. Just be sure to be unplugged from a 110V source as well as disconnecting both your RV and chassis battery. Before disconnecting anything in the area of your old inverter, take lots of pictures of how it is currently wired so you can look back at how the old inverter was hooked up.

My brother and I recently replaced his original converter with a new one of a similar design. The pictures we took helped a lot after we were done and some of his outlets were not working when plugged in. We didn't realize how the GFI circuit breaker is designed to function. A minor ground wiring change (we thought for the better) created the problem. We made it back to his original way and all was fine.

If making electrical changes, I would have it done by an RV professional. As someone mentioned before, you might find a company that does it near by in Elkhart, IN.

* This post was edited 10/02/18 07:18am by ron.dittmer *

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/18 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tied into the generator ??? the genny is already 110 volts

Call an RV service center or independent rv shop near you and talk to them.

If you plan to use an inverter for a tv or sat dish then all you need is a $130.00 150w SAMLEX PSW plug in model. It plugs into any 12v outlet so you won't need to have anyone but YOU to install that. Just plug your tv into it. It might work a CPAP as well.

If you need it for a coffee maker, just use a drip cone filter and boil water to pour into it. Its stovetop..no electric needed.

Inverters are quiet power when you can't use a generator .
They invert 12v battery power from a battery bank to 110v household power. If you use a microwave or coffee maker, it will only work for a short period of time before the appliance working off the inverter depletes a 12v battery .

There is PSW (pure sine wave) power which is clean filtered power just like your home.
There are lower priced MSW (modified sine wave) inverters which are not as clean or filtered causing electrical interference while using them in some digital applications such as tv's and other digital circuits.

Read the below links with pix I think you'll get a better under standing of what to expect.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24154290.cfm

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28291240/print/true.cfm

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29205631.cfm

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/18 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most TV have a wall brick that converts 120 volt A.C. into 12 v d.c. so if that is what you are going to use the inverter for you can just get a cord to plug the TV into a 12 volt outlet.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/18 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dusty R wrote:

Most TV have a wall brick that converts 120 volt A.C. into 12 v d.c. so if that is what you are going to use the inverter for you can just get a cord to plug the TV into a 12 volt outlet.
I have seen such TVs but found them to be a rare find, and they are not 12V, but closer to 19V as stated on their power supplies. The TV size cut-off is around 32" for ones having an external power supply. If you want such a TV with enough volume to over-come the noises of a motor home on the road, you'd better have it hooked up to an amp of some sort, for example a 12V sound bar.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/18 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A solar installation company that is familiar with off grid installations should be able to do it. Be careful choosing one as many solar companies only install on grid systems that don't involve batteries and would be very different from an Rv installation.

By the way, I sent you a PM.

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/18 11:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many of those thumper auto stereo/amp/speaker shops can do it and usually have everything needed (with the exception of the inverter) on the shelf including the ability to make custom parts and do custom modification of the RV on the spot.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> inverter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS