Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Looking at purchasing an RV
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Looking at purchasing an RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Okichewy1

Kimberly, Id

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/18 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Little about myself. Married with 2 young adult children in college and 2 large dogs (75 and 90lbs). Live in southern Idaho but have family in Michigan, Georgia, Alabama and Florida. I am 46 y/o and wife is 43. I retired from the Marines and currently work for the US Forest Service. Have about 14 years till I plan on retiring at age 60. We are looking to purchase an RV in 2021 when we have our car, truck, boat and home heating system paid off. I already have budgeted about 1200.00 max a month for the RV loan payment, 100.00/month for storage and then have a couple quotes for insurance so have that money budgeted in. We initially will be using this for random vacations due to working still, but would like to have something paid off prior to my retirement. We have looked at Class A and Class C's and think were hooked on the Class A's. Any pointers for a new couple looking into these would help. Sorry this is so long.

Thanks,
Ken

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/18 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember, a class A is the absolute most expensive form of RV there is. Not only purchase price and insurance, but upkeep and maintenance costs. Add the necessity of a second vehicle, a "toad" to get around when parked, does it make economic sense? That you have to decide. I would look and make your purchase now. Make time to start your RV experiences by taking weekends, vacations etc to see if this is what you really want. A decent quality used 35 foot MH can be had for under a hundred thousand dollars. Is that within your budget?

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
8 years OSP Camp Host
The Other Dallas

Okichewy1

Kimberly, Id

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/18 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info. We used to own a 26' TT that was good when the kids were little, then they grew and it was cramped. With my monthly budget I have planned, the max I would like to finance is about $144,000, we plan on putting down at least $5k, maybe more. That was the other option was purchasing used from a dealer. The ones I have looked at were were priced between 85k -130k. Similar in size from 33' - 38'. The larger one was a Class A toy hauler.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/18 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would look for a well-maintained used unit, especially for a first RV. If possible, I would avoid financing an RV (or any "toy"), but I do know others have different opinions on fiscal matters.

You will need to budget some for maintenance; how much varies some with different RVs. Tires, in particular, can be a not insignificant expense especially for a large class A; a set of 19.5" or especially 22.5" truck tires adds up to thousands of dollars. If you're not handy (and not willing to learn how to be handy), paying someone to do all the little fixes and maintenance duties an RV requires will also get pretty expensive pretty quickly; they're similar to boats in that regard. It's been said that the main difference between an RV and a boat is that the water can also leak out of the RV.

If you don't have experience RVing, I would heartily recommend renting one for a weekend or preferably a week before buying. It will help you know if you enjoy the mode of travel or not, and give you a better idea of some of the sorts of things that matter to you in looking at various models. (Do you prioritize a larger shower or more kitchen counter space? Is the arrangement for dumping tanks convenient enough for you use easily? Is there space to put a trash can?)

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/18 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many would argue that you should never borrow to buy an RV - they depreciate rapidly and your likely to be underwater soon after you purchase.

RV lose about half of their value in the first 8 years or so and some would argue buying used is better than new because you avoid most of the depreciation and new RV's tend to come with plenty of small/big problems which might be covered by warranty but you might wait weeks for a dealer to get around to fixing them. No fun making RV payments while your rig is sitting on dealer parking lot waiting for warranty repair work.

If it were me - I would buy used - probably a 10 year old rig from owner who kept maintenance records (priceless). I would keep sufficient cash reserve to insure I could keep up with the required maintenance. If you go diesel then make sure you do additional research on the specific engine (some have issues). Also - some rigs have better reps than others - research is key.

Kevin

Okichewy1

Kimberly, Id

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/18 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for the information. It helps a lot with search process. Yeah, plan is to purchase with a 20 year loan and payoff within 12 years.

thanks again for the information and things to think about, I didn't budget for maintenance. Budgeted for monthly payment, storage, annual insurance and vacation money to get us places.

Lwiddis

Cambria, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/18 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you budget for a toad?

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/18 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksg5000 wrote:

Many would argue that you should never borrow to buy an RV - they depreciate rapidly and your likely to be underwater soon after you purchase.

Agreed. It was very enticing to hear how low the payment on my TT would be when buying it, and now, 2 years later, I definitely owe more than it is worth.

Jim G
I don't sleep in the dirt anymore

Okichewy1

Kimberly, Id

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/18 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, when I bought my brand new 2012 Jayco TT, we paid 13,500 out the door at a dealer, 2 years later sold it for 12,000 to a couple. Thought it was a good investment for the 2 years.

Optimistic Paranoid

East Nowhere NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/18 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll give you something else to think about. Instead of a class A, have you considered the idea of buying a commercial bus conversion?

As somebody once said, "When a bus gets into an accident, it looks like a bus had an accident. When a motor home gets into an accident, it looks like a tornado went through a trailer park."

Here's a couple of sites to give you a few things to think about:

RV Insurance Coverage

RV Depreciation

Finally, sir, Thank You for your service!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Looking at purchasing an RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS