Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Advice gray/black water tank cleaners
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Advice gray/black water tank cleaners

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/18 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tank sensors are tough to keep clean no matter what chemical concoction is used whether homemade or store bought. You could add an internal tank rinser but ours never works very well, mostly just adds water to the tank rather than spraying internal tank walls with any deliberate force.

We know our tanks are empty after dumping, if we want our sensors to indicate the same we will run a tank wand for a couple of minutes to remove residual debris from tank walls where sensors are mounted. Don't do it every time we dump. maybe every third or fourth dump when we have full hookups.

It always astonishes me how much residual waste is still left even after dumping and refilling tank a couple of times. We just use lots of water and regular toilet paper we purchase in bulk from Samsclub, for us using the tank wand occasionally eliminates the need for odor masking concoctions.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/18 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what Dennis posted will get mine clean on a one time basis.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/18 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dennis12 wrote:

[image]
I use one of these wands, and have never had an issue with my gauges.

I wouldn't get the kind with the whirly gig on the end. The shop at the RV store where I work has seen them come off and get lodged in the dump valves.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/18 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After having an almost new Camco wand blow apart squirting water everywhere, I made my own.

Westcoasting

westcoast

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

After having an almost new Camco wand blow apart squirting water everywhere, I made my own.

What did you make it out of?

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/18 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't worry too much. Very few folks with standard in tank sensors have accurate working sensors and the ones that say they do are lying (that's a joke folks, get over it!).
As mentioned, the external sensors work much better and then to work very well for many years. However, build up on the inside of the tank can lead to poor readings as well and may require a more aggressive tank cleaning. You can hire a company that cleans tanks and improve your results but this does not last long despite your best efforts. The size of your tank matters. Smaller tanks and those wands can work wonders. Larger tank sensors can't be reached with those short hoses.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/18 10:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our tank sensors work great. After the trip I add water to both gray and black tanks while first adding some dishwashing soap to the grey tank. I then drive over to the dump station and dump the black tank and then use the black tank flush attachment with a hose. Then dump the grey. Great to see the last thing that comes out of the sewer hose is soap suds. Both tank sensors read empty then.

While camping we use Walex biopak and portapak tabs in our black tank.

2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Westcoasting wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

What did you make it out of?

It's just 1" PVC pipe with a cap on one end and a hose fitting on the other. Drill 4 - 1/8" holes in the end with the cap. A fancy one also has a ball shutoff.

mikim

Rancho Cucamonga, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use Google and look up the "GEO Method".

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

*IF* your sensors are reading accurately, something is very wrong! The sensors are small metal "buttons" on the inside of the tank at various elevations. The problem is that with all the [email protected]@p, TP and sludge on the tank walls, they get short-circuited and don't indicate properly. False readings are normal. They shouldn't even bother installing them...

There are various cleaners that can be used but false readings will return in no time flat. Our KZ owners manual says to use Liquid Drano. We've used it from time to time and while it does get the tank back to factory original clean condition, false readings are back pdq (sigh). I never look at the level indicator.

After a while, you will simply get to know how long your tank will last before it needs dumping. You can look down the toilet to see how full it is. I installed a shutoff valve at the back of the toilet so I can see clearly into the tank without water spray in the way.

To get the most out of your tank, always add a few gallons of water before each use and don't skimp on water when flushing. Then make sure the tank is filled to, or near full, of water before dumping and rinse well. Trying to skimp on water and rinsing will just make things worse.

I've read of a few cases where owners have found the sensors installed at the wrong elevation or wires connected to the wrong sensors. Then the factories cover up their errors with a sheet of coroplast, pffft.

I hate CAPTCHA. CAPTCHA sux. CAPTCHA is evil. CAPTCHA needs fixing.

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Advice gray/black water tank cleaners
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS