Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: possible regulator issue UPDATE
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> possible regulator issue UPDATE

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
pinesman

virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/18 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Dometic fridge is not doing as well on propane as it does electric. I have blown out the burner and flu and checked the normal stuff. The flame is a pretty even blue but I am just not sure it is as big and hot (or loud) as it should be as the pipes do not feel as hot when running on propane. The trailer is an "03 and appears to have the original Marshall regulator. I am thinking the regulator is just old and worn out not allowing enough pressure on the gas line. Any ideas? Thanks.

* This post was edited 10/11/18 03:37pm by pinesman *

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/18 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes I would replace any RV propane regulator over ten years old.
I like Cavagna brand. Replace the pigtails while you are at it.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/18 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you do not have a manometer. This is a quick test and usually will tell you the Regulator is failing. Turn on the Range burners. Turn on the Water heater and Furnace. Watch the Range burner flames. If they dwindle down or pulsate when the furnace and water heater start up and burners ignite and run, your regulator is BAD. Just 1 inch drop in LP pressure will cause loss of correct cooling. Doug

pinesman

virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/18 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the water heater and furnace on, the range burners are jumpy with some yellow and smaller than I think they should be. I noticed this weekend I had to turn my Camp Chef stove up to medium to cook a hot dog. Normally I cook everything on low with that stove

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/18 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pinesman wrote:

With the water heater and furnace on, the range burners are jumpy with some yellow and smaller than I think they should be. I noticed this weekend I had to turn my Camp Chef stove up to medium to cook a hot dog. Normally I cook everything on low with that stove

Replace the Regulator. Doug

pinesman

virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/18 05:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am getting a new regulator and pig tales, hoping that will take care of it.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/18 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best test is the manometer.. and I won't go into how to use it.

But the fridge is a Propane "sipper" not a propane "Guzzler" like the furnace or water heater. So if the latter work well. the first should regulator wise.

Some Fridges do work better on one or the other heat source.. Don't know why. but they just do. And some work better on one some on the other some don't care.

Just now. mine on electric is 34.1 degrees in the top door shelf.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/18 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

But the fridge is a Propane "sipper" not a propane "Guzzler" like the furnace or water heater. So if the latter work well. the first should regulator wise.

Some Fridges do work better on one or the other heat source.. Don't know why. but they just do. And some work better on one some on the other some don't care.

That's correct, mine (and many) always did get colder on ac.
And if you think a new regulator is going to change that, good luck, you'll need it.

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KingDome/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

pinesman

virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess sometimes it is better to be lucky than good. When we were out two weeks ago, the fridge was flirting with 50 degrees when on gas. I replaced the regulator and pig tales and after 8 hours, it is in the 33 degree range on gas.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RJsfishin wrote:

wa8yxm wrote:

That's correct, mine (and many) always did get colder on ac.
And if you think a new regulator is going to change that, good luck, you'll need it.

Funny, MOST responses over the years have stated they thought their RV refer operated BEST on LP and discounted AC current. But, RV refers will operates the SAME regardless of heat source. The reason some will state 120 is better or LP is better is because they do not understand the relationship on the fuel supply.
1. LP pressure is CRITICAL. NOT 11.5 inches and lower, it will not cool adequately on LP
2. NOT 118 to 120 volts but lower, it will not cool adequately on AC current. This is more a problem in CG's that have inadequate Electrical supply and with a lot of RV'ers, the line voltage drops. You need to monitor the line voltage with a DIGITAL Voltmeter. If it drops below 115, put the refer on LP for best results. Doug

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> possible regulator issue UPDATE
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS