Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Engine starting issues
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Engine starting issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Ava

Vancouver Island. BC Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/18 11:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my diesel I get a click sometimes when starting and I know it is the ignition switch and moving parts in the column that needs the contacts cleaned then works fine.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/18 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Click clunk or clatter. all 3 mean different things but Battery Low Voltage is almost diagnostic

Battery low voltage means either bad battery or battery not being charged properly (Bad alternator). Though it can mean, under some conditions bad connection..

Stories:
On my RV they used commonm "Ring terminals" on the battery positive lead. not proper battery terminals. what is the difference? The metal they are made of. Dissassimular metals even in a very mild acid enviorment quickly corrode (rust in this case) and I had to keep cleaning them. Depending on how bad I'd get a Click, clunk or clatter. Did this every 2 or 3 years till the batteries finally died (Clatter only) then put in new batteries AND A NEW TERMINAL hookup.. Now I have a proper battery connector on that post.

Story 2. Click only, no clunk, no clatter, last summer (13 year old rv) the key operates not the starter solenoid but a pilot relay in the main chassis fuse box.. This makes a sharp CLICK. not the lower pitched CLUNK of the solenoid.

Removed. cleaned contacts. (Cycled manually several times contacts cleaned themselves) replaced. and VAROOM.

Blocking pumps at a PILOT. Cold wet almost freezing drizzle.. Nasty. Late in the day... (Just starting into twilight) I'm tired. and **SSed over other stuff. Not the best conditions for diagnosing an engine problem... But ... Good thing I know my RV.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

ForestRiverInc

Elkhart, IN

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/18 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brianseay1,

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the issues and any inconveniences as a result of your concerns with your Cross Country. If this issue is unresolved, please contact Tim Buss in our service department by visiting this personalized link: http://www.coachmenrv.com/DirectServiceContact.aspx?ID=636743485122046887.

In order to resolve your concerns as quickly as possible, please use this link to outline your concerns and Tim Buss will respond with 24 hours.

Thank you,
Forest River

* This post was edited 10/05/18 01:28pm by ForestRiverInc *

doxiemom11

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/18 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it a V10 ? We had that happen and there are two (2) solenoids. One not even in any of the diagrams. One by the starter - the other on the passenger side behind the front tire. Very hard to reach. We tried from the dog house first, DH arms were not long enough. Was able to reach by cranking the front wheels to the left and reaching in behind the tire. We had been having problems off & on with it starting sometimes after a 3rd/4th/5th try, just a click as you describe. Had replaced the battery, starter, starter solenoid and ran across someone else's post that told about the 2nd one. Went to leave the campground and it wouldn't start. DH was going to try to reach it - couldn't - tunked the area with a wrench and we got it to start. Went on to our destination (summer job) and didn't shut it off in between. Replaced that solenoid and no problem for 3 years now.

brianseay1

Bridgeport, Ala USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/18 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ForestRiverInc wrote:

brianseay1,

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the issues and any inconveniences as a result of your concerns with your Cross Country. If this issue is unresolved, please contact Tim Buss in our service department by visiting this personalized link: http://www.coachmenrv.com/DirectServiceContact.aspx?ID=636743485122046887.

In order to resolve your concerns as quickly as possible, please use this link to outline your concerns and Tim Buss will respond with 24 hours.

Thank you,
Forest River

Just saw your message, i have been working on the issue all day, and have yet to find out what is wrong. I sent an email to Tim Buss. Thanks for your reply.

Brian & Neena & B.G.
B.G. 2014 Goldendoodle
2007 Coachmen Cross Country 389DS
300 HP Cummins Turbo Charged
03 Sahara Jeep Wrangler & 05 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
2014 800 RZR4
Roll Tide Roll

brianseay1

Bridgeport, Ala USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/18 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

doxiemom11 wrote:

Is it a V10 ? We had that happen and there are two (2) solenoids. One not even in any of the diagrams. One by the starter - the other on the passenger side behind the front tire. Very hard to reach. We tried from the dog house first, DH arms were not long enough. Was able to reach by cranking the front wheels to the left and reaching in behind the tire. We had been having problems off & on with it starting sometimes after a 3rd/4th/5th try, just a click as you describe. Had replaced the battery, starter, starter solenoid and ran across someone else's post that told about the 2nd one. Went to leave the campground and it wouldn't start. DH was going to try to reach it - couldn't - tunked the area with a wrench and we got it to start. Went on to our destination (summer job) and didn't shut it off in between. Replaced that solenoid and no problem for 3 years now.

Mine is a inline 6 cylinder Cummins diesel.I have been looking at it all day trying to troubleshoot it. Starter and solenoid seem to be in working order. I am thinking it must be a relay going bad because of the type of click sound it makes. Unless I have a second solenoid i have not found yet...LOL... Thx for the input, it is appreciated

brianseay1

Bridgeport, Ala USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/18 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a quick update, been troubleshooting all day. I pulled the ignition relay out to look at it. It looked fine, pins were clean. Put it back in and started the RV. Checked the battery connections, all are clean and tight. Checked the starter connections, again, all are clean and tight. The RV will start better now, but it still has the intermittent issue. Out of about 25 attempts to start the engine, it failed to start on the first try about 5 times. So it has improved but the problem is still there. If anyone can think of anything I may be overlooking please let me know. I sent an email to Tim Buss at Forest River, so hopefully I will hear from him soon. Got to get it fixed, we roll out on vacation two weeks from today. Thx to everyone for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

tiffy2000

NH

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/18 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

neutral safety switch, by pass it as a test or wiggle the shift lever

2bzy2c

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a common issue on the F-53 chassis. It is the starter relay, not the solenoid. I had the same issue with mine. [image]

It is a $25 dollar part.

My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

PaulJ2

Northwest Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 11:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not familiar with your engine starter. But if it has a large solenoid attached to the starter that also does the engaging of the gear, it will be that one.
GM used those for years and that was always the failure point.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Engine starting issues
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS