Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: 2002 Tracker; Setting up to Tow
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> 2002 Tracker; Setting up to Tow

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
johnhicks

Wandering below the Gnat Line

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/18 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used the Roadmaster diodes and wired straight to the lights; underneath the car was easy aside from getting my large carcass under there far enough.

Note that the Tracker stoplights will illuminate when the brake pedal is pressed no matter the key position; I tied to that wire to illuminate a monitor light in the MH so I could tell if the toad brakes were actually working or had gotten hung up.

One other thing; assuming you have a TPMS add sensors for the toad. How would you know if your toad had a flat or hot tires from dragging brakes etc?

-jbh-

Rolin

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/18 10:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John, the TPMS sensors for the toad are a good idea. I plan to do that. I also like the ability to monitor the toad braking from the motorhome dash. The Roadmaster Even brake has a wireless display showing toad brake action.

Blethen, using 4th gear sounds like a good idea. Don't know why the manufacturer has you put it in 2nd??

Harley, our 2002 Tracker has automatic hubs. Did yours come with automatic and you switched to manual? What benefit do the warn hubs provide?

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/18 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After about 1996, Suzuki products started using automatic hubs and a different front differential. My 2003 Tracker needs to be backed up a few feet to release the hubs.
There is no real advantage to Warn hubs.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

TomandCandy

Olympia, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/18 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 1997 geo tracker I wired the lights brake lights running lights up under the hood I have had no problems wired in to its wiring its been this way for about 10 years no problems with any electric, battery does not go dead no disconnect it works great good luck

eheading

Lakeland, FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/18 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We towed a 2004 Tracker for 9 years and over 50,000 miles and loved it. If you are going to use separate bulbs for lights, where are you going to mount them?? There is no room in the tail light fixtures to add an additional bulb. I had wanted to go that route also, but had to use the diodes since there was no room for an additional bulb.

Regarding the key and the ignition. If you turn the engine off and move the key to the full off position, our Tracker did not lock the steering wheel unless you removed the key. So we always left the key in the "locked off" position with the key still in the ignition.

Ed Headington

FW

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/18 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rolin and all other Tracker towers with 4x4 automatic and transfer case. After owning a 1995 geo tracker with manual hubs and a 2002 chevy tracker with automatic electric hubs and transfer case both with approximately 50,000 miles on each I found early on that when you drive up to hook up if you don't remove the key the lock assembly stays unlocked. I forgot once and towed about 350 miles that day with out turning key to accessory position and the steering wheel turns. Try it. The power to my Brake Buddy through accessory power still works when key is not turned on. I usually travel 200 to 400 miles and have never stopped to run engine. Both vehicles have over 150,000 driven miles on them with 50,000 towed miles. No abnormal consequences. I use magnetic lights and a wi-fi enabled control device for lights.

Frank
Full time since 1/3/03
2005 BTCruiser 28.5' Always
2002 Chevy Tracker 4x4 Sometimes

harley-dave

ummm, where are we again..

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rolin wrote:

Harley, our 2002 Tracker has automatic hubs. Did yours come with automatic and you switched to manual? What benefit do the warn hubs provide?
I put them on because we had to replace a half shaft (axle). I just figured why have them turn all the time for no reason. The manual hubs give a few more MPG so that tells me there is some significant drag with the standard hubs. We just finished towing it 1600 miles behind the RV and all seems fine. We also didn't drive 50-55 mph either. Went our normal 63-65.

Dave

2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

Rolin

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/18 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for everyone's help and expertise.

We just completed our maiden voyage and everything worked great. I didn't leave the key in the off position even though the steering wheel did not lock. I will do that on our next trip. Just wanted to make sure there were no surprises on our first outing with the Tracker so turned the ignition to accessory. Leaving the ignition off will ensure we don't run the battery down on longer trips.

I was able to find space in the rear light case to place an extra bulb so was able to use the bulb and socket kit. I like that we can bypass the Tracker electrical system and just power the bulbs.

The Tracker is lighter that many of the tow cars but I noticed it took more power to accelerate onto the freeway and up hills and braking took a little more effort. I will hook up the Even-Brake system for our next trip.

Baby steps ;-).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> 2002 Tracker; Setting up to Tow
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS