Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Sub-freezing weather and Exposed Tanks.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Sub-freezing weather and Exposed Tanks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
kknowlton

southeast Idaho, formerly IL/WI border

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/18 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing to bear in mind is the line that feeds water from from the freshwater tank to the pump. Ours is above all the tanks, and no way to reach it. We have tank heaters and a heat tape wrapped around the (long) drain tube from the freshwater tank, and our pump & accumulator are in the same compartment with the water heater (something I wish was true of all RVs!), so even with exposed tanks we have been able to camp down to & just below freezing (overnight) temperatures - of course, temperatures rose at least to the upper 40s in the daytime. However, one night in mid-October in West Yellowstone, our water line to the pump froze up - turned out the overnight low was 16! So we now know our water system's tolerance. (Fortunately nothing broke, and the line thawed out over the next day.)

2007 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2013 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2502S

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/18 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder how hard it would be to locate and install waste tank bottom-mount heating pads and made-to-fit insulation blankets. I think many class C's use the same size waste tanks given how well they fit and attach to the frame of an E350 & E450. If the tanks are a standard item, then the bottom-mount heating pads and insulation blanks on our rig may also be standard off-the-shelf items. Just buy and install, add a 12V supply with an on/off switch and you will be well prepared for much colder temps.

Our Phoenix Cruiser 2350 two waste tanks are 35 gallons and 23 gallons. Phoenix USA uses the same exact tanks on all 9 of their models going back at least 11 years now. The floor plan dictates which tank is gray and which tank is black. Phoenix heats and insulates all tanks identically, I assume with purchased kits. CLICK HERE to see a few pictures of our insulated waste tanks. The insulation blankets appear to be custom-fit.

What is the tank capacities the rest of you all have on your brand rigs?

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/18 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Consider a radiant heater pointing it at the valves.

You should be ok to 27 f. Local temperatures can vary a lot from the forecast.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

whizbang

Kenmore, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/18 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron,

Yes. I am going to install heat pads on the waste tanks and valve pipes. Its not especially difficult. It just takes time.

I debated installing insulation around the tanks. I never imagined there might be off the shelf parts. I will dfinately check it out.

Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

whizbang

Kenmore, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/18 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kknowlton,

Our fresh water tank and pump are inside the RV under the rear bed. Two heat ducts pass thru the compartment. I suspect the fresh water would be okay down to 20 degrees for sure, perhaps much less, depending on how much we ran the furnace rather than an electric space heater.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Sub-freezing weather and Exposed Tanks.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS