Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Am I on the right track???
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Am I on the right track???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/18 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never heard 9% suggested as acceptable. Usually it's 12-15%...some say as low as 10%.

Your 12% assumption is probably Ok. Assuming 6000lb is the Max weight (not empty), you have about 720lb hitch weight.

Don't forget to add the weight of the hitch, bed cover and anything else in the truck.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/18 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BeerBrewer, are you sure about the hitch capacity? You should have two weight ratings on the hitch. One for weight carrying, and one for with a weight distributing hitch. Even my old mid-sized SUV had a higher capacity than 700# when using a wdh, so I would be surprised if the Tundra had such a low capacity.

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/18 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What does the tire loading sticker on the door of your tundra say? That will tell you what the weight of passengers and cargo (tongue weight) can be.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/18 11:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BeerBrewer wrote:

I'm not sure why the GVWR is so important, other that knowing how much you can pack into the trailer.
You can use dry weight and guess what ever you want. Often this translates into being over the max weight, just a matter of how much. Or use the GVWR and have a reasonable cushion to be under the rating. Either way ACTUAL weight is what matters. You can tow over the rating too and that is your choice. Unfortunately no dealer will let you test drive a trailer to the scale after you load it up. Likewise there is no return policy if you discover you are over weight after the first few trips.

How about list all the ratings and GVWRs and get some real calculations going?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/18 02:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nickthehunter wrote:

What does the tire loading sticker on the door of your tundra say? That will tell you what the weight of passengers and cargo (tongue weight) can be.

actually, the payload sticker usually says "Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs".
driver is considered an occupant and the WDH weight and tongue weight are considered part of cargo.

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/18 02:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BeerBrewer wrote:

So am I on the right track?

No, sounds like you're buying into the RV Forum Weight Police Hoopla Hoodoo and overthinking things. Listen to about 90% the foolishness that goes on at these boards, and the next thing you'll be doing is running off to a Scale every time the wife packs an additional pair of shoes or roll of TP.

All one needs to half assed worry about is hitch weight to payload, and GVW to towing capacity, and those can be taken with a grain of salt to some extent depending on the amount of common sense being used. Percentage of hitch to overall is what it is, as long as the rig tows fine. Drop it on the ball and give it a try. Are you going to load the rig the same every time you head out?

BeerBrewer

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/18 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I totally understand that you shouldn't exceed the trailer GVWR and I won't.

I read on this forum and others that a typical couple (not a family of four) packs between 500 and 1000 lbs of "stuff" in there TTs, including propane and batteries, etc. Which means, after their TT was loaded and ready to go that it weighed 500 to 1000 lbs over the weight of the trailer empty. Now assuming that the local dealer didn't add a lot of stuff into trailer, shouldn't actual weight rating be close to the weight rating stamped on the door? Now just because one trailer can handle more cargo doesn't mean that we'll pack that much.

Below are the numbers from the sticker on the Door and manual for my 2006 Tundra. As you can see these aren't very big numbers

GVWR 6300 lbs
GAWR: FRT 3500 lbs
GAWR: RR 3650 lbs
Total Combined weight of occupants and cargo never to exceed 1309 lbs
Towing Capacity: 7000 lbs
Max towing weight (including truck, occupants, fuel, cargo and trailer): 12,600 lbs
Maxium Tongue weight: 700 lbs
Truck Weight (As weighed with me and full fuel tank): 5000 lbs

I have the last model year of the first generation Tundra. Its a great truck but it's basically nothing more than a stretched out Tacoma with a small V8. I'm told that a lot of the parts are interchangeable. I knew it wasn't a robust full size pickup truck when I bought it and I even thought it was ugly as sin and still do. I mainly bought it because of Toyota's reliability reputation and because it was the largest truck that I could find that could fit inside my garage and still fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood or drywall between the wheel wells.

My wife and I have never RV'd before. So neither of us know how much we'd pack or how it affects the towing, but we are learning. We both love the out doors. As for a pop-up, I'd be okay with it, but not the wife. I'm an avid hiker/backpacker, but my wife grew up camping in her parents old pop-up and doesn't want to go that route. We were hoping that we'd be able to find a used starter Travel Trailer and tow it with our Tundra, but that doesn't seem very likely. I have located a couple possibilities, but they were sold before we got there. I'm also considering buying a another truck.

Lastly, I have to apologize for asking so many stupid questions. I'm fairly sure that we're going to love RVing as long as we do it safely. Unfortunately, my wife knows someone from her office that got into a serious solo traffic accident while towing a TT that ended very tragically. So I'm just making sure that I learn as much as I can.

Thanks

Bob

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/18 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have all the info you need. Now go Here to get unbiased info on how it all fits together. You may need a new hitch to handle more tongue weight but you have the payload to handle the trailer as long as you don’t go hog wild and load a ton of stuff in the truck.

Optimistic Paranoid

East Nowhere NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/18 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might take a few minutes to look at this YouTube video:

Travel Trailers and Half Ton Trucks

He goes into why weight alone is not the only factor you need to consider. A flat trailer with a load of bricks is going to tow completely differently than a hollow box trailer with high walls, even if they weigh exactly the same.

BeerBrewer

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/18 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow that is a interesting but VERY depressing tool. I played around with it a bit and I put the numbers in for my truck and let it run using different safety margins

For 20% safety margin and 15% Trailer tongue weight percentage override it said:

Maximum Trailer Weight was 4,667 lb (This is the maximum trailer weight based on the most restrictive tow vehicle ratings provided (tongue weight rating at 15% of trailer weight))

Maximum Trailer Weight with Margin was 3,733 lb (This is the maximum trailer weight based on the most restrictive tow vehicle ratings provided, reduced by a safety margin of 20%)

For 15% safety margin and 12% Trailer tongue weight percentage override it said:

Maximum Trailer Weight was 5,833 lb (This is the maximum trailer weight based on the most restrictive tow vehicle ratings provided (tongue weight rating at 15% of trailer weight))

Maximum Trailer Weight with Margin was 4,958 lb (This is the maximum trailer weight based on the most restrictive tow vehicle ratings provided, reduced by a safety margin of 20%)

So if I use the recommended 20% safety margin it says that I can only tow a 3,733 lb trailer based upon my limited tongue wt capacity. [emoticon]

I had been looking at a used 2017 Rockwood 2109S trailer that I saw on line. The photo of the door sticker says the trailer weighs (empty) 3924 lbs, can carry no more than 1273 lbs of cargo and is 21 ft long. I guess that makes the trailers GTW equal 5197. The brochure says the dry tongue wt is 415 lb, not that means much. So If I follow these guidelines, even this trailer is beyond my truck. This is very depressing. Am I reading this correctly?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Am I on the right track???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS