Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: The Odd's weren't with me: Keystone FRAME CRACK
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> The Odd's weren't with me : Keystone FRAME CRACK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/18 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TXiceman wrote:

Old Buscuit, I hope this was not on your HH. HH did use Lippert frames for a couple of years and went back to Youngs.

Ken

I said this about a year ago about HH used Lippert frames but some of the guys that know everybody didn't believe me. Youngs made their frames white and when somwbody asked about black frames Youngs had to switch to black.

chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

irishtom29

San Antonio

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/18 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ralph Cramden wrote:

Do you have Xray vision? LOL.

An old joke among boilermaker and pipefitter welders who often have their work X rayed.

Dayle1

Spicewood, Tx

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/18 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Charlie D. wrote:

Michelle.S wrote:

That is a weak stress point in the wall, very common on many brands. Many now come from the Factory with a vertical cut at that point with a molding section inserted into the cut.
I would do the measurements on King Pin movement and if within specs, make a clean cut where your crack/tear is and insert a section of molding to seal it.

Agreed. One my previous 2006 rig I had a crack like that. Ran from the corner of the cut out about 3". I checked the crack with and without load on the pin box and it would open/close very little. My new rig has a factory applied vertical strip and I have seen them on many rigs.. I suspect the factory cut the side wall to allow a tiny bit of relief. Hopefully there is not a weld break or failure on your rig. Keep us posted.

The OP's rig already has the cut and vertical trim piece. It is clearly visible in the pic. That didn't prevent his failure. So it is more than just minor flexing of the frame.

Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

edbehnke

North America (from Michigan)

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/18 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i've had 'flexing' in 3 montanas. and the same crack on my first 5th wheel a Terry.

you didn't talk about the model or year of your trailer but that crack would be very normal, in my opinion, of the older models, that is is where the stress is/was when they started doing slide outs up front.

one of the guys above talked about the crack not being frame flexing, that is good. but that is as far as i can tell you.

i'd be interested in the model/year as we are writing.

good luck, not many dealers can correct these problems...maybe it is time to get a new one.

eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
2500HD

allen8106

Burrton. KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/18 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

newman fulltimer wrote:

Well the good news .that's not a frame failure that's a wall stud weld failure theweld broke at the slide side wall and when slide pushed out it pushed the wall out causing the crack. Note the crack starts in the corner going outward

I would venture to guess that that crack is only the beginning. The frame is cracked somewhere I'll bet.

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax
1983 DW (love of my life)
2010 Pit Bull Terrier (Jake)

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> The Odd's weren't with me : Keystone FRAME CRACK
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS