Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Balancing Trailer Tires - yes or no
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Balancing Trailer Tires - yes or no

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
eflyersteve

Oklahoma

New Member

Joined: 05/20/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/11/18 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The ones I am familiar with look to have a weight welded to them to balance them.

My latest trailer tires I purchased were supposed to get balanced but they didn't. This was after I pointed out that they installed the wrong tires. I gave up and went on without them getting balanced. This was a flatbed trailer that is used for short haul. I certainly will have my travel trailers balanced. Even if just for reduction in vibration. Doesn't matter to me if the rest of the rotating assembly is balanced or not (I can't believe that it wouldn't be), adding more imbalance is never a good idea.


2019 Coachmen Freedom Express 204RD
2011 F150 Super Crew FX4, 5.0L V8
Husky Centerline WD Hitch

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

Senior Member

Joined: 03/22/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/11/18 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you buy from America's Tire/Discount Tire they always balance trailer tires.

Having said that, most of the new trailers I see leaving the dealer lots have un-balanced tires. The factories don't seem to bother.


2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 04/08/2002

View Profile



Posted: 10/11/18 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron3rd wrote:

If you buy from America's Tire/Discount Tire they always balance trailer tires.
And they always do it wrong..... Unless you tell them to use a lug plate, AND watch them to make sure they actually use it.

Yes I have caught them not using it after I told them that was how I wanted it done.

Not using a lug plate means that the tires will not be balanced, and may well end up worse than they were unbalanced.



Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.



GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/12/18 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After reading this thread and others on the internet, it seems the simple solution is adding balance beads to the tire. That would eliminate worries about the drums, wheels, and how they are balanced. Or am I misunderstanding something about the beads?


Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

RCMAN46

NorthWest

Senior Member

Joined: 02/24/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/12/18 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GrandpaKip wrote:

After reading this thread and others on the internet, it seems the simple solution is adding balance beads to the tire. That would eliminate worries about the drums, wheels, and how they are balanced. Or am I misunderstanding something about the beads?


I have been using balance beads in my trailer tires and my truck and they work very well.

I do have them balanced first to take care of the dynamic portion of the balance then the beads do the fine tuning of the static balance.

I also insist that the trailer tires be balanced using a lug plate.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 07/13/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/12/18 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, yes, yes and alignment should be done on your towable too!


2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 SD CC DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat, Hensley BD3 with Ford Under-Bed Adaptor
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, and Missy in spirit), Maggie, and Mica!


Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 04/08/2002

View Profile



Posted: 10/12/18 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG wrote:

Yes, yes, yes and alignment should be done on your towable too!
On 99.9% of the TTs made there are no alignment adjustments like there are on a automobile.

On a TT, the alignment is set when it is made by having a true frame, and the spring hangers welded onto it in the proper location.

IF an alignment problem occurs later, it is due to bent or worn parts. They should be replaced.

There are shops that will BEND your axles to "fix" the alignment.
I am not a fan of this approach. Doing this without fixing the real problem can just lead to more trouble later on. Worn parts will continue to wear often at an accelerated rate, causing the alignment to quickly go out of spec again.
And depending on what parts are bent, (it may not be the axle) bending the axle to compensate has a downside. If an axle that has been custom bent away from stock, has a problem such as a spun bearing necessitating it's replacement... Then the replacement axle would need to be custom bent as well to repair the TT.... But if the "real" problem were fixed, and then an axle needed replacing, it would be as simple as bolting on a new one.

There are some fans here of having their axles aligned (bending them) at a shop. They either do not understand just what that entails, or they figure that they will never experience the downsides of this "fix"

Myself, I have had to replace some axles on the road. It was really nice just to be able to bolt it up and go.

As always, your money, your choice.


ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 07/13/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/14/18 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

ReneeG wrote:

Yes, yes, yes and alignment should be done on your towable too!
On 99.9% of the TTs made there are no alignment adjustments like there are on a automobile.

On a TT, the alignment is set when it is made by having a true frame, and the spring hangers welded onto it in the proper location.

IF an alignment problem occurs later, it is due to bent or worn parts. They should be replaced.

There are shops that will BEND your axles to "fix" the alignment.
I am not a fan of this approach. Doing this without fixing the real problem can just lead to more trouble later on. Worn parts will continue to wear often at an accelerated rate, causing the alignment to quickly go out of spec again.
And depending on what parts are bent, (it may not be the axle) bending the axle to compensate has a downside. If an axle that has been custom bent away from stock, has a problem such as a spun bearing necessitating it's replacement... Then the replacement axle would need to be custom bent as well to repair the TT.... But if the "real" problem were fixed, and then an axle needed replacing, it would be as simple as bolting on a new one.

There are some fans here of having their axles aligned (bending them) at a shop. They either do not understand just what that entails, or they figure that they will never experience the downsides of this "fix"

Myself, I have had to replace some axles on the road. It was really nice just to be able to bolt it up and go.

As always, your money, your choice.


Thanks for your feedback. I'll confirm your reasons with our RV tech.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/14/18 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I doubt that you will find any RV repair facility that can do alignments by bending the axles. Watch this video.





RCMAN46

NorthWest

Senior Member

Joined: 02/24/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/14/18 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

I doubt that you will find any RV repair facility that can do alignments by bending the axles. Watch this video.



I had an axle collapse on my trailer. After replacing the axle and noting how thin the axle tube is I am surprised that the jack used to straighten the axle in the video did not collapse that axle.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Balancing Trailer Tires - yes or no
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS