Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: horse or cart first?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> horse or cart first?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Riven1950, general rule of thumb is to settle on the cart, then see if the horse is up to carrying the load. If I've learned anything, it's that I =should= have gone 3500 instead of 2500, even though I don't really want something heavy enough to =require= the 1t. It just gives you more options if/when you go to another FW. You're looking at "half-ton" class FW's (a total b.s. marketing tool, IMO) in that weight and size range, along the lines of the Jayco Eagle HT and the KZ Durango 1500 FWs. Given they are "built light", they simply won't have the longevity that a heavier unit likely will have, especially if you're a frequent camper. While I think a 3/4t will easily handle the size FW you're looking at, you also have to look forward to the next FW where you might want a bit more comfort and size. The price difference between the 3/4t and 1t SRW isn't all that much, so consider it.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 60 Year Member

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd get a 3500 SRW diesel before shopping for a fifth wheel if I was feeling quite certain that a smaller fifth wheel would do.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Dtank

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/18 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

riven1950 wrote:

We have always had a 4x4 although rarely use it. We get snow trace about every 5 years and don't offroad, although with a new 5th wheel we would plan on a cross country trip which may involve some boondocking. Ford truck forums indicate a little better mileage with 2wd but we like the looks of the 4wd better and the insurance of 4wd if needed.

Not too concerned about not having enough truck after we find a fifth wheel.

Hope this is not as confusing as we are confused.

thanks

Truck: whether gas or diesel, no good reason to *not* have a 1 Ton.

2 X 4 versus 4 x 4: You answered your own statement/question. Are you purchasing a 4 x 4 'cause it looks better?..[emoticon]

I had TWO different 4x4 vehicles 'cause I had a mtn cabin. CHP would often require chains on the road up. If you had a 4 x 4 - you only had to *have* chains with you - but they never checked.

NEVER used (or needed) the 4 x 4 (s) - even with *LOTS* of snow.
Later, had a 4 x 2 pickup which did just fine in the (same)snow.

(IMO) UNLESS you're planning on off-roading, the 4x4 is a waste of $$.
And, unless you have lockers front and rear - it's just two wheel drive at both ends, LOL.
(Great sport watching the 4 x 4 folks think it conquers all, and go sliding across some black ice.)

Will you re-coop the extra cost when you sell it? Maybe.

BTW - limited slip diffs are pretty amazing and a great "insurance" policy - for less money and possible repairs.

Good luck! Hope whatever you decide - it LOOKS great!..[emoticon]

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/18 10:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dtank wrote:

riven1950 wrote:

We have always had a 4x4 although rarely use it. We get snow trace about every 5 years and don't offroad, although with a new 5th wheel we would plan on a cross country trip which may involve some boondocking. Ford truck forums indicate a little better mileage with 2wd but we like the looks of the 4wd better and the insurance of 4wd if needed.

Not too concerned about not having enough truck after we find a fifth wheel.

Hope this is not as confusing as we are confused.

thanks

Truck: whether gas or diesel, no good reason to *not* have a 1 Ton.

2 X 4 versus 4 x 4: You answered your own statement/question. Are you purchasing a 4 x 4 'cause it looks better?..[emoticon]

I had TWO different 4x4 vehicles 'cause I had a mtn cabin. CHP would often require chains on the road up. If you had a 4 x 4 - you only had to *have* chains with you - but they never checked.

NEVER used (or needed) the 4 x 4 (s) - even with *LOTS* of snow.
Later, had a 4 x 2 pickup which did just fine in the (same)snow.

(IMO) UNLESS you're planning on off-roading, the 4x4 is a waste of $$.
And, unless you have lockers front and rear - it's just two wheel drive at both ends, LOL.
(Great sport watching the 4 x 4 folks think it conquers all, and go sliding across some black ice.)

Will you re-coop the extra cost when you sell it? Maybe.

BTW - limited slip diffs are pretty amazing and a great "insurance" policy - for less money and possible repairs.

Good luck! Hope whatever you decide - it LOOKS great!..[emoticon]

You very obviously have very limited experience with driving in snow and ice. It could very well be that people who don't see snow don't need 4 wheel drive. A two wheel drive truck in snow is useless.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/18 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many city folks just don't get out when a snow or ice storm comes around. So a 2wd with a LSD factory option works for them.
I'm on the other side...... where getting around a muddy worksite or hauling out of a wet pasture make a 4wd necessary.
I also living in a rural area 5-7 miles from the highway and drive on county roads getting to those highways. Most snow/ice storms the county may be several days before they show up to plow the roads.

My 2500 Dodge/Cummins 2wd sits in the tractor shed when the roads have any ice or snow on them or if a pasture or worksite is too muddy. This is where my 3500 DRW 4wd or the wifes 1500 chevy 4wd shines.

There is no one size fits all as we all have different needs and driving scenarios.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/18 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"A two wheel drive truck in snow is useless."

Oh bosh. Of course they aren't useless, they don't get around as good as a 4WD obviously, but will do just fine in moderate snow. Some weight in the back and knowing how to drive in snow helps a lot, and a locking differential helps too.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

jtaylor1920

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/18 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I bought my DRW truck a few years back I ended up getting a 4x4 because it’s about the only thing the dealers order here, but I would probably have bought a 4x2 if I could have found one.

For one the beds sits lower and two the extra payload never hurts. As for the 4x4 feature I’ve used it twice, both times driving on the sand.

Driving in the snow, not if I can help it. I’d rather not have my 60k truck smashed by people that see snow a couple times a year and freak out. That’s what the AWD SUV’s are for. The truck is for pulling the fifth wheel.

John, Laurie & the 2 Schnauzers (Mazie & Obi)
2016 GMC Duramax Dually
2018 Cardinal 3350RLX
B&W Companion Hitch

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/18 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

"A two wheel drive truck in snow is useless."

Oh bosh. Of course they aren't useless, they don't get around as good as a 4WD obviously, but will do just fine in moderate snow. Some weight in the back and knowing how to drive in snow helps a lot, and a locking differential helps too.

There are two parts to driving in snow, go and control!
Yes, you can do a decent job of going with a 4X2, but for great control you really need 4X4. When the front wheels are driving and not plowing control is much better. That and most likely with a 4X2 you will likely loose traction in the most inconvenient place, like half way up a grade. With 4X2 you need to stop and chain up, with 4X4 just engage 4X4! I consider it cheap insurance.

Russ & Paula
The Beagles Precious, and Belle.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins, NV4500, 3.55's, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,RV 275's Bilstein 5100's, 311K miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360# GCVW 20,500#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Learjet

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/18 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the F250 6.2 with 3.73 and pulled 12,000 lbs scaled weight ok....I would highly recommend the 4.30 gears. It's not all about weight...the high profile 5th wheels have tremendous drag going down the highway, especially in a headwind

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW long box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2015 Wildcat 317RL, MoRryde rubber pin box, Titan Disc Brakes, Trojan T105
B&W Ram Companion

Yamaha EF2600c tri-fuel generator
Champion Model 46595- 3000/3500w

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/18 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is an RV forum. What you do with the truck besides tow the RV trailer is not really relevant. If the truck is going to have a dual use then those needs must be considered too.

The facts are that very few have the NEED of FWD during RV use.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> horse or cart first?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS