Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Propane tanks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/18 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jfkmk wrote:

I echo not using the propane until you get the leak fixed!

How old is the trailer/tanks? It is highly unlikely the tanks themselves are leaking. Check out the hoses, regulator, fittings first. You can make a solution of dish detergent/water and brush it on. The leak will be evident by bubbling.

This.

And to be technically correct, what you have are propane CYLINDERS, not tanks. Tanks are the things that are permanently mounted on a motorhome or other vehicle. Cylinders and tanks are subject to a completely different set of rules for inspection and re-testing.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

Lwiddis

Cambria, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/18 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We should be technically correct....tanks and cylinders. TY for reminder.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

George3037

Upstate NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/18 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do like Mitch said but only leave one tank (cylinder) valve open. I then know when that tank runs out as my furnace and HW heater don't work. At that point I open the valve to the full tank and switch the regulator valve to the full tank side.

I always leave one tank valve closed because I don't check the regulator (Red/Green) gauge daily. If both valves were on and one tank runs out the regulator auto switches to the second. This happened to me a couple times where it auto switched to the full tank and ran out in the middle of a cold night and there I was with 2 empty tanks and a cold wife in the TT who was not happy with just me keeping her warm. Leaving one valve closed I know I have a full tank when the first runs out. For some reason my tanks always seem to run out in the middle of the night.

Definetly get the leak fixed. The soapy water works. I have found the o-ring seals dry out and crack as do hoses on my tanks.

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/18 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Must be removed to fill.

To measure how much LPG is in the cylinders, weigh them. I use a digital fish scale. Look on the collar for a TW (tare weight) number. Take the current weight minus the TW and the result is the pounds of LPG inside.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/18 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never worried about my propane tanks, how full or how empty they were on any of my travel trailers. And now that I have a 5er, I'm still doing the same thing. Simple technique:

Keep one tank shut off completely and turn the other one on. Use it. When the gas runs out, close it and open the other one. Then immediately go and get the empty tank refilled. 60 years of camping experience with my parents as a kid, family, friends, and my own campers, and never ran out of propane doing it this way.

I have learned to anticipate my propane usage. If I begin to question how full the running tank is, for example getting ready for a 2 week trip and want to make sure I've got sufficient propane, I simply loosen the tank and lift it up a little. The weight by simply lifting tells me how full it is.

And yes, you take the tank off the RV and take it to a propane refill station. You can drive your camper to the refill station, but you'll still need to take it off the camper yourself.

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually

2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 even older folks now, but still lots of love!

The new Montana is now officially, "The Love Shack 2"

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/18 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know when my main tank is empty when it shows RED on the gauge.. And, the thing has already switched over to the other tank (okay, CYLINDER) automatically, so nothing has shut off in the middle of the night..

It's just a matter of checking the gauge.. I just lift up on the cover and look every couple of days if I know I'm using a lot of gas... If you don't do it, sure, you'll be left empty.. Or, you'll be out there in the middle of the night lifting the cover and turning on the other tank.. And look, the gauge probably shows RED.. [emoticon]

Guess it's just a personal preference thing in the end..

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! "> Happy Camping!

owenssailor

Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/18 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

I know when my main tank is empty when it shows RED on the gauge.. And, the thing has already switched over to the other tank (okay, CYLINDER) automatically, so nothing has shut off in the middle of the night..

It's just a matter of checking the gauge.. I just lift up on the cover and look every couple of days if I know I'm using a lot of gas... If you don't do it, sure, you'll be left empty.. Or, you'll be out there in the middle of the night lifting the cover and turning on the other tank.. And look, the gauge probably shows RED.. [emoticon]

Guess it's just a personal preference thing in the end..

Good luck!

That is what i do as well. I do not want to get up in the middle of a cold night to switch tanks over.

Mitch

2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

seaeagle2

seattle

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/18 10:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Downside of only leaving one tank on, if your fridge is on propane and you empty the tank, your fridge may be off for a while before you catch it.

2010 F 150 4.6 3V
2014 Chalet Takena 1860
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/18 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First get the leak fixed. Could be anything including the cylinder itself.

The regulator will have an indicator that shows the primary tank and another indicator that shows when the primary tank is empty. As long as you check the regulator periodically you will never run out having both cylinders open.

Yes you need to remove the cylinder for a refill.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 12:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

jfkmk wrote:

I echo not using the propane until you get the leak fixed!

How old is the trailer/tanks? It is highly unlikely the tanks themselves are leaking. Check out the hoses, regulator, fittings first. You can make a solution of dish detergent/water and brush it on. The leak will be evident by bubbling.

This.

And to be technically correct, what you have are propane CYLINDERS, not tanks. Tanks are the things that are permanently mounted on a motorhome or other vehicle. Cylinders and tanks are subject to a completely different set of rules for inspection and re-testing.

Coolmom42, I stand corrected! They are indeed cylinders, not tanks. My bad!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS