Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Propane tanks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
DM6156

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just an FYI which may apply to some.

My home runs off propane and that company that I use does fill up propane cylinders for cheap. Way cheaper than any place I've found - Cheaper than tank exchanges, RV dealers, hardware stores, costco, etc.

If you're house runs off propane, ask them about filling your rv/grill cylinder.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/18 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced the cylinders with ones that have a built in gauge that works off a float. Just have to open the top of the cover to see how much is left.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/18 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I do is weigh the tank and I have one of those strips that you stick in the side to guess at fill level.

Always check the connections with soapy water and a brush for leaks if you smell gas.

With two tanks the chances of running out of gas are slim. When one tank runs out you switch tanks. Your next tank exchange is usually waiting where you buy gasoline.

I wait until I am home an refill at my local dealer.

Yes you do have to unbolt and exchange or refill your tank.

As mentioned, you will hear the word cylinder used, which I believe is the correct technical term. Locally tank and cylinder are used interchangeably, except for small 1 lb. Units.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 09:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I camp mostly in the desert with no hookups and I open both tanks. Fortunately in Southern California the temperatures are mild. It takes me a season or more to go through a tank. And since I'm only camping for a few days at a time I always see the red indicator long before I ever run out.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/18 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP never told us how old her trailer is. I will assume it is new enough to have an automatic switch over valve. If so, fill both cylinders and open them BOTH up slowly. Notice which direction the valve is turned. WATCH for the red to show up in the valve and when it does, switch the valve to the other direction, turn off the valve to the empty cylinder and remove it. Refill it and put it back on the trailer, hook up the hose and slowly open the valve.

Now, if you don't want to check for the red indicator you should turn only one tank on and wait for this to run out. As posted, this will happen usually in the dead of night, during a cold and often rainy night as it turns out. Get out of bed, get dressed, get a raincoat on and grab a flashlight and go out and switch the valve over to the full tank. Enjoy the black cold and rainy night while you are out there.

In my state I pay by the gallons I have used. I just traveled into the middle of the country and took an empty cylinder to be filled while is was in Wisconsin. The guy put it on a scale and weighed, told me it was empty and filled it. After weighing it he charged me for 7 gallons. After asking him, he told me they don't measure by the gallon but when I was watching him run the pump I noticed a second system that did measure by the gallon just like we have here at home. He told me that larger motor homes and some campers can't remove their cylinders so they measure the gallons in those situations. What? I asked him the obvious question and he told me doing it by the gallon cost the customer more in the long run. Never heard of such nonsense.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Junket

Klamath Falls Or.

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced the cylinders with ones that have a built in gauge that works off a float. Just have to open the top of the cover to see how much is left.

This works best for me also with the little round things that hold propane in the tongue of my trailer[emoticon]
Ken

2005 Dodge Cummins 610 325Hp 3.73 Auto
2016 Wildcat 26FBS
Go Fast 66 Cobra replica 500+HP Richmond 6sp
2015 Jeep unlimited
23ft. Striper boat

LScamper

Los Alamos NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/18 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try TankCheck bluetooth tank monitors.

Lou

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My brother-in-law has a 90's vintage class C. The tank is permanently mounted. He fills locally by the gallon.

When I travel for long periods of time, I carry an extra tank along with my extra can of gasoline.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put a gauge on each of our 2 tanks. They basically give you 3 readings - full, almost empty and empty. If I check them and see one is reading at the low end of green, I know it's gonna be empty pdq. Kinda works okay. They were on sale cheap in a store so no big loss of $$.

The factory installed the changeover valve facing to the rear and you couldn't see the indicator. I rotated it 180 degrees but the hose was a bit too short but solved that by moving the tank tray closer towards the rear of the trailer.

I hate CAPTCHA. CAPTCHA sux. CAPTCHA is evil. CAPTCHA needs fixing.

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS

Integritas

NV

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry I did not post the age of my trailer. It is a 2004 Fleetwood Pioneer. We pulled in to my friends house the other night where we are staying for a few days. I opened both cylinder valves and tried to light the oven pilot and nothing. I pulled the cover off the cylinders in front and found a lever so I moved it to the down position and in the dark with a flash light the best I could see was MAYBE a green ring came up in the plastic housing and then I was able to light the pilot. I have not checked it since we got here but will be doing that today. We will be getting the cylinders filled today and changing over the tongue jack and a few other little things on the trailer before we move on to AZ.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS