Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Truck Question - duallie or single?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Truck Question - duallie or single?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 01:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get the specs for the trailer you want first....unless you are simply trying to justify getting a dually...then follow the advice of the people who tell you to get a dually if you are pulling a pop up.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Pipeman

Windsor, Ontario,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/18 05:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do your homework on the TVs that you might be looking at. Check out the GVWR of each. I have a dually to haul my 35 ft 5er. I had a 3/4 ton pulling the same trailer and was a bit over the GVWR but now feel much safer and the braking is much better. Mine is a daily driver and I don't park 2 miles away from the place I want to go into. My dually is a long box, crew cab, so it is long.It's also a diesel. I don't understand why people are so afraid of parking lots. If it fits I use it.

Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

irollman

Carlsbad, NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 05:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like dusky is the way to go. Not trying to justify it, I’d rather a single wheel, but I’m most likely to get a big 5th wheel.

Pipeman, you bring up another question. Long box or regular[emoticon]hort box? Or will that depend on the particular 5th wheel as well?

noteven

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 07:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More truck info here:

Click here

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 08:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

irollman wrote:

Sounds like dusky is the way to go. Not trying to justify it, I’d rather a single wheel, but I’m most likely to get a big 5th wheel.

Pipeman, you bring up another question. Long box or regular[emoticon]hort box? Or will that depend on the particular 5th wheel as well?

MegaCab is the only short box Dually out there. Then there is the debate over sliding hitches etc. Get the longBed, then you will have room for a proper toolbox!

[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

2oldman

Salton Sea

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 08:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

irollman wrote:

2oldman, thanks, those were interesting reads.
Welcome.

Pipeman

Windsor, Ontario,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/18 09:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

irollman I have a long box because we dry camp a lot. I have a 50 gal aux fuel tank at the front of the box, in front of the 5th wheel. Behind that I sometimes put a 50 gal water bladder that looks like a gigantic awol bag. Behind the 5th wheel I can put another 50 gallon water bladder that lies flat or a 35 gal blue tote for pumping my black water into and then transporting it to a dump in the vicinity of where we are camping.The 3/4 ton was a short box and I had an automatic slider that took care of the 5er when making turns. When we bought the 3/4 ton my wife wanted a crew cab model. When I asked why, she said "well what about mom and dad and your dad?" Made sense and then when we got the dually and our parents had passed away but we have grandkids whom we babysit and pick up from school 2 weeks out of the month. Believe me when I say sometimes the truck isn't big enough. I would have gotten an HDT but my better half said "NO", so that took care of that. Long box/short box will depend on GVWR of the trailer you get. I prefer the dually. Another thing to remember about a 1 ton dually is, it doesn't ride like a Cadillac and my wife will attest to that. Rougher ride but it's a truck meant to haul heavy things.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/18 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

irollman wrote:

MegaCab is the only short box Dually out there. Then there is the debate over sliding hitches etc. Get the longBed, then you will have room for a proper toolbox!

[image]

I guess if you need a proper toolbox as you say. I found a lot easier ways to carry what tools needed without having to have that monster in my bed . To each his own.

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dually!!!

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 01:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To pull a big heavy 5ver; a dually ... for a daily driver; a one ton SRW. I tow up to 30,000 lbs with my SRW, but for the amount I do that my SRW does just fine. For my 16,000 lb RV, I wouldn't want a dually even if I towed daily but for regular towing of over 16k lbs I would go dually.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Truck Question - duallie or single?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS