Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Truck Question - duallie or single?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Truck Question - duallie or single?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/18 02:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

irollman wrote:

I'm considering purchasing a 5th wheel to replace my Class A. It would be a full-timer rig, so it won't be hauled a lot. But I'd end up using the truck as a daily driver, or mostly so. Looking to get a 1-ton, as I'm looking for a more comfy 5er, which means bigger.

So, would a rear end with single wheels do OK, or is that a real no no, and should I go duallie?

Will all depend on what FW you get. I know people that full-time in a 32-35' rig, which would fit with most SRW trucks. I also know people who full-time in 40-42' rigs that are big enough to =require= at least an MDT if not an HDT. I'd say that, for full-timing use, you'll almost certainly need a dually, even if you don't plan on moving it very much, just for the extra payload capacity the duals will give you when you =do= move it. Now, if you can FT in a smaller rig, then an SRW could work. You'll really need to run some numbers on what FWs you're looking at.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 60 Year Member

Zoggan

Rochester, Mn, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

To pull a big heavy 5ver; a dually ... for a daily driver; a one ton SRW. I tow up to 30,000 lbs with my SRW, but for the amount I do that my SRW does just fine. For my 16,000 lb RV, I wouldn't want a dually even if I towed daily but for regular towing of over 16k lbs I would go dually.

I agree with this. A modern SRW 3500 is one heck of a heavy duty truck. Up to 16,000 lbs I'm using a SRW. As for using it for full timing I'd much rather have the smaller width to use as my daily driver when living in a 5th wheel. Heck even the simple things like going through a car wash. I'm not hand washing that thing every week!

lcseds

Chapel Hill, NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are not even sure what RV we plan on buying but got a dually to make sure we weren't limited. It's just as long as the long bed we would have gotten anyway for the larger fuel tank. So it's a wee bit wider. Not a big issue thus far with me commuting to work in it and taking it on grocery runs.

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/18 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dually, so much more stable

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly...R.I.P. Dixie/Hanna we miss you
1990 F350 S/C Dually
1990 S&S 11SC
06 Honda CR-V
11 Ford Ranger

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/18 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some here thing only a dually can tow a 5th wheel. Here is a picture on one of their daily drivers.

[image]

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 04:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I understand why you are asking but it is kinda like asking which truck is the best, Ford, Chevy, Dodge. Everyone thinks what they have is the best and if you don't have it you get smart answers. I too went back to a fiver after owing a dp class A mainly due to the room difference. We could have gone with a srw F-350 as far as towing but the dually will give you more stability in all circumstances. I have had both. You will need to be more aware of parking in tight spots but I do that anyway. I don't want some yahoo opening their car door into the side of anything I own.
If you are not sure what fiver you will get I would just hold off on the decision until you decide. Whatever you do just make sure you really make your decision based on how you feel and NOT from others.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

justme

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 01:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The new Ford's F350 diesel SWR with the aluminum body have increased their CCW from 22k to 28k which means it will handle 18K GVW trailers. The weight savings with aluminum body allowed for a more robust frame and suspension while keeping the GVW the same as previous models. Anything over 18k trailer would need a dually.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 05:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

justme wrote:

The new Ford's F350 diesel SWR with the aluminum body have increased their CCW from 22k to 28k which means it will handle 18K GVW trailers. The weight savings with aluminum body allowed for a more robust frame and suspension while keeping the GVW the same as previous models. Anything over 18k trailer would need a dually.

At 18K a lot of 5th wheels will have to much pin weight for SRW Ford or the other two also.

Chris

neal10a

Madison CT

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

justme wrote:

At 18K a lot of 5th wheels will have to much pin weight for SRW Ford or the other two also.

Chris

If pin wieght is 3600(.2 of 18000) that leaves plenty of room for other stuff/passengers. I agree that 18000 GVW trailer would max wieght for a 2017 or newer F350. Also with a SRW F350 with the rear sway bar otpion it would handle as well as a dually.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 06:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

justme wrote:

So you think a 18k 5er with 25% pin of 4,500# would be fine???

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Truck Question - duallie or single?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS