Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: A 1-ton vs. 3/4 ton
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> A 1-ton vs. 3/4 ton

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
livemusic

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/18 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend bought a lightweight 5th wheel trailer, I don't recall the brand. He likes it. His old truck conked out and he bought a new 3/4 ton Ford. I asked him how it pulls it and he bragged on it, like, nothing to it. But I have read a ton of posts and a good percentage of people say just go ahead and buy a 1-ton and you're good to go. I have never owned a 1-ton. Are dual wheels pretty much required, is that your opinion? Reason I ask is I don't like the look of a dually, lol. If my friend can pull his 5th wheel fine and dandy with a 3/4 ton, seems a 1-ton that is not a dually would be fine. I also don't know how much rougher a ride a 1-ton would provide vs. a 3/4 ton. Buying a 3/4 ton would be great if it's enough! I liked his 5th wheel, far as the layout goes, very nice.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/18 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It all depends on the total loaded weight and the loaded pin weight of the 5er to determine the truck you need. A 250/2500 will work for a lighter 5er. A heavier 5er might need an SRW 350/3500. And an even heavier 5er might need a dually. But in spite of what many want you to believe, you do not need a dually simply because you buy a 5er. An SRW is stable towing a 5er if the trailer is matched to the truck ratings. It is all about the 5er weight and the truck load and tow ratings.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/18 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I read the Trailer Life - Towing Guide correctly, the 2018 F-350 can tow 4000 lbs more than the F250 (both with SRW and diesel) 14,000 vs. 18,000.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited

Lwiddis

Cambria, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/18 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just follow the rule...”buy or select the TT or 5er first then match a TV to it.”

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/18 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If properly matched (actual weights) to the truck capability then 3/4 ton can be a great towing platform.

Same for 1 ton SRW...or a 1/2 ton truck etc

It is all about knowing what the trucks Axle Ratings are vs the Axle Weights so one can make an educated decision on how much 'weight carrying capacity' is available for PIN weight or Tongue weight

I tow a 14K 5vr with a 2007 3500 SRW.......pin weight puts be right at RAWR

Todays 250/2500s are capable of towing that same 5vr

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/18 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you didn't post brand and model of your friend's trailer nor the one you're looking at, its hard to advise you.
As the others said, pin weight first, then the trailer's weight are the determining factors as to what to recommend.
A SRW 1 ton can tow a lot of 5th wheels easily.

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/18 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you plan on towing a 5th. wheel for any extended period of time, go with a 3500 Diesel SWD. The difference in price between a 3/4 vs a 1 ton is not significant in the long run and you will not have to worry about the weight of the 5th. wheel with few exceptions. If you are looking a big 40' or longer 5th. wheel then you might be better off with the dually wheels.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 01:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Historically the difference between a 3/4 and 1 ton (SRW version) is a bigger spring pack for the 1 ton. Nothing else is different.

Some of the newer trucks (Dodge in particular) use different spring designs.

When you move up to a dually, it's a whole different rear axle.

For a 5th wheel, it's all about the pin weight (yes, check all the stats) and each move up will get you more capability to carry pin weight.

Moving up to a 1ton SRW is negligible cost and negligible impact on ride quality empty, so unless there is a big registration fee jump, go for the 1 ton.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This has never been discussed, lol.
In short apples to apples, a 3/4 ton is a 1 ton with less spring capacity in the rear suspension and a lower published gvwr.
Otherwise, same truck, differnet badge on the door.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Historically the difference between a 3/4 and 1 ton (SRW version) is a bigger spring pack for the 1 ton. Nothing else is different.

Some of the newer trucks (Dodge in particular) use different spring designs.

When you move up to a dually, it's a whole different rear axle.

Ford uses 2 or 3 differnet axles. GM is the same 2500 up to dually. Ram is only a slightly larger ring gear, same basic axle. Track width of the axles is typically a couple inches wider on a dually to account for rim offsets.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> A 1-ton vs. 3/4 ton
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS