Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Newbie trying to buy 1st Used RV
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Newbie trying to buy 1st Used RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the model you choose is built on a Ford chassis and it is less than 3 years old, see if Ford will sell you and extended service plan for the chassis. These require an inspection before the sale of the service plan.

saffikeagan

Dallas, TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all. I realized through a comment here and Googling that there are mobile RV mechanics all over so I don't need to pay mileage to drive one from south of Dallas up to Sherman, for example.

I'm moving the beginning of November to Colorado. I'm going to rent a moving truck for my stuff and my CDL brother is going to drive it, but the biggest challenge is two fold: I like my Honda Fit (which is towable either on a dolly or four down) and has a cargo capacity large enough that it rivals or out performs many of the small SUVs. So, I'd have to invest in a significantly larger SUV to increase my cargo capacity enough to make it worthwhile (and then drive that sucker for my primary vehicle). If I go the SUV route, I'd want one that could tow a travel trailer. The only SUV that's not absolutely massive that can tow worth **** is the four door Jeep Wrangler. It's all nice and cool until one looks at the safety ratings. I think my previous Miatas have been safer than the Jeep Wranglers are. And two: I'm moving with two cats, a Sheltie, and an 80 lb Golden Retriever/Rottie Mix. I might be able to find a motel to accommodate the pets for an overnight with enough calling around, but that would mean that we would have to stick to a driving schedule tightly. The 80 lber will turn a tent into a hamster wheel with me inside should anything go sniffing around at any hour, so camping is out. As for the drive itself, it's going to be mighty cramped to have all four of them and myself in my car. And, yes, a minivan is out of the question.

An RV sounds like the perfect solution for the move proper, and then a great way to get out and explore the area when there (and see if I like RVing) without the above hamster-wheel worry.

I'm closing on a house with a nice large driveway. With that though, I can't be dropping $40+ thousand (plus tax) on an RV a week or two before closing: I have to keep my debt to income level in the green with insurance and all else factored in.

I was hoping for an old model with a few years of life left in her for around ~10K. I'd be comfortable going up to around $25k if I need to, but I'd really prefer staying under about $15. The last thing I want to do is shell out $50K then realize I hate RVing.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gosh, wish you have said all that first.
What your dreaming about is probably not realistic. A 10K MH is going to be old, have high miles, or absued to the point of needing a lot of cash needed to get it road worthy. You could luck out and find a gem, but obviously you dont have the time to wait for the right one to show up. I would strongly suggest you hold off until you get moved and settled. By then you may decide its actually a waste of resources. Many places do not allow RVs to be parked in the driveway. Some places require them to be behind the front line of the house. There are just so many places with so many regulations, personally I would not do it, unless you specifically bought the new house knowing the rules.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
8 years OSP Camp Host
The Other Dallas

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a crazy thought to get you to Colorado: rent a cargo van (U-haul has low-roof Transits for rent), tow the Fit; and throw a cot in the back of the van to sleep in. I have camped many times in vans using a cot, and a "Luggable Loo" portapotty - enough so that last year I converted a Transit van into a camper with real beds, etc.

Once you are settled in CO, you can pursue what you want to use for camping. And my recommendation is that you not pull a travel trailer (especially in the mountains) with a short-wheelbased vehicle like Jeep. There's safety in long wheelbases when towing.

And since you have been a tent camper - you might (like me!) see the beauty in keeping it simple by turning a cargo van into a camper (plus it will haul a ton of "stuff" as you settle into your new home) My full-sized Transit is a joy to drive!

saffikeagan

Dallas, TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yea, so I'm discovering. Hence I'm looking now to spend a bit more. I did actually check all the rules and regs for the neighborhood I'm moving into; I'm all set for an RV in the driveway, and a neighbor has a boat in the drive. Even if I'm not, my fence will allow parking behind it (ridiculous though as the entire neighborhood has 4' chicken wire fencing).

saffikeagan

Dallas, TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you know a place that will rent cargo vans for one way long distance? If so, pleas share! I've looked into that option, but can't find any company willing to do that. Best I could find is a passenger van with a "don't leave a single shred of pet hair in the vehicle or we will charge you out the a** to clean it" pet policy. *eye roll* my critters definitely aren't Sphynx's and shaved Chinese Crested.

Please keep the ideas and suggestions coming; the help is very much appreciated!

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

UHaul, Ryder, Enterprise all rent cargo vans of various sizes

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It may also be more practical to buy a decent used cargo van for $10K (or less)...and be able to resell it at the other end for about the same amount of money. For that matter, you could probably find a reasonably reliable older (smallish) box truck for that amount of money, one that is light enough to not require a CDL if that is important to you. I assume that a non-CDL box truck would be easier to sell than a barely-CDL one, but I could be mistaken about that.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You realistically only have a week or 2 to find one.
If you find one, great, but Dallas to Denver is only a 1-2 day drive.
You have a moving van and a little car, so enough room for 2 drivers and pets.
Hotels take pets, but if you don't want to do that, just drive straight through, presuming your timing the move after closing so you have the house already.
Either way hotel and pets is not a big deal. Cats are crated I presume.

Yes $10k is buyer beware unless you stumble on a great find. And even the great deals are likely to need something done and does not sound like you're in the position to do much work to it before the trip.
On the upside, all you have to do is test drive it like a car and look at the normal stuff you would when buying a used car.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

Optimistic Paranoid

East Nowhere NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

saffikeagan wrote:

And two: I'm moving with two cats, a Sheltie, and an 80 lb Golden Retriever/Rottie Mix. I might be able to find a motel to accommodate the pets for an overnight with enough calling around, but that would mean that we would have to stick to a driving schedule tightly.

Take a look at this site:

https://www.petswelcome.com/

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Newbie trying to buy 1st Used RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS