Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Newbie trying to buy 1st Used RV
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Newbie trying to buy 1st Used RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure where in CO you are going, but none of it is THAT far from TX, especially if you're driving a car.... it's 12 hours from Dallas to Denver so technically you could do it all in a day... my sister in law did San Antonio to Denver in one day in a car with a kid, a bird, and a dog. So I'd just suck it up for the 2 days it takes to get to CO and haul all the pets in your car with just a small overnight bag. I'm sure you can find a hotel or Air BnB somewhere along the way that will allow all the pets.

It wouldn't be the most fun 2 days but spending 10-20k on an older RV and then either having it break down along the way or realizing you don't like RVing sounds way less fun to me.

2017 Keystone Impact 351
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5 Eco-Boost
2016 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Eco-Boost
2015 Polaris RZR 900S

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, look into the cost of moveable "pods" instead of a moving truck. the PODS brand is expensive, but other companies do something similar. When I moved to CO from CA, the U-Pack pod from ABF ended up being cheaper than renting a moving truck once gas was factored in, and it only took about a week to arrive at my new location. My parents did the same thing, only they did a U-Pack ABF trailer.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/18 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

saffikeagan, as someone else said, a Jeep Wrangler is NOT a good tow vehicle for a travel trailer. Maybe a egg ot teardrop shaped trailer or popup/A-frame trailer.
By the way, the term RV can refer to a travel trailer, 5th wheel, popup or truck camper, not just Motorhomes. They are all recreational vehicles.

* This post was edited 10/09/18 02:21am by bikendan *

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you should rent a U-Haul.

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

saffikeagan wrote:

Do you know a place that will rent cargo vans for one way long distance? If so, pleas share! I've looked into that option, but can't find any company willing to do that. Best I could find is a passenger van with a "don't leave a single shred of pet hair in the vehicle or we will charge you out the a** to clean it" pet policy. *eye roll* my critters definitely aren't Sphynx's and shaved Chinese Crested.

Please keep the ideas and suggestions coming; the help is very much appreciated!

Buy a shop vac?

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2gypsies wrote:

I think you should rent a U-Haul.

And based on past experiences, if your finances allow, bypass UHaul and get something from Penske/Ryder. UHaul equipment has been junk more times than not when I've used them.
Been a while, may be their better now?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Newbie trying to buy 1st Used RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS