Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Suspension shackle failure - best replacement?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Suspension shackle failure - best replacement?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
phemens

Montreal, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were packing up to leave from a close-by campground this morning. Raised the 5er with the landing gear, and I heard some creaking didn't give it much thought, continued to pack up. When ready to leave, did our walkaround and were unpleasantly surprised by this:

[image]

On the driver's side, failure of the shackle between the equalizer and the rear leaf spring. Not sure what caused the failure, any ideas or is this just wear and tear? We bought the trailer used last fall so this is our first season with it (it's a 2012).
We were able to carefully get home and the rig is parked for the winter. Looks like a straight-forward repair, but I turn to the collective wisdom of the forum. What would be the best replacement solution? I did a bit of googling and found some equalizers with rubber shocks and what look like heavier duty shackles, is that the best solution? The leaf springs look good, everything else looks normal.

2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1Kw solar, 630 AH Rolls wet cells, Yamaha EF2000 genny

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/18 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you're going to have to do one, do them all. Since you're going to do them all, get a wet bolt kit, that includes heavier shackles, bronze bushings and new bolts.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 60 Year Member

Roger10378

Goodrich, MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/18 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you have greasable pins or just the factory ones with the nylon bushing. Either way get the moryde heavy duty with the bronze bushings and grease fittings. The ungreased factory ones have a very finite lifetime.

2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

Bipeflier

Centralia, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/18 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mor-Ryde

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

phemens

Montreal, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, was planning on doing them all for sure! I have the factory installed ones. I'm not sure what brand I have right now, does it make a difference when ordering the new one if I'm replacing everything (equalizer, shackles, etc)?
The MORyde link is the kit I was looking at, plus the equalizer (Link)

There are 2 options for the equalizer, 33 or 35 inch. What is the best way to measure this on my 5er? Center of hub to hub?

* This post was edited 10/08/18 02:51pm by phemens *

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/18 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went with Dexter EZ-Flex equalizer and their HD Shackle kit with bronze bushings and wet bolts. A little cheaper than those mentioned, but still high quality. I'm happy with them!

* This post was edited 10/08/18 03:09pm by WNYBob *

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WNYBob wrote:

I went with Dexter EZ-Flex equalizer and their HD Shackle kit with bronze bushings and wet bolts. A little cheaper than those mentioned, but still high quality. I'm happy with them!
That's what I installed a couple years ago, and what every trailer should come with. The pivot is at the bushings and not the shackles.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/18 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is normal wear and tear on the shackles. They do not last long at all. I agree with all the others above in getting wet bolt kits along with the new equalizers.

I put the Dexter EZ Flex kit on that included wet bolts and much heavier shackles. The Mor-Ryde units linked earlier are very good also but you need to add the wet bolt kit.

Yes, you need to measure the distance between hub centers to get the right kit. It will probably be either 33 or 35 inches. The one I linked to is for 33 inch but they also sell the other one if I remember correctly.

The install by me and a couple of other members are pictured in a thread started by the former TT moderator Les Adams here. You can see the worn out bushings that come standard with new trailers. It is no wonder they don't last very long.[emoticon]
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicle was 2016 Ram 2500 CTD

phemens

Montreal, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all, ordered the MORryde equalizer and wet bolt kit, look forward to the install. Shackles look impressively thicker.

eDUBz

Oxnard

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just did the moryde leaf spring equalizer and wetbolt kit with 1/2” shackles. Rides smooth with no creaking or popping sound while Turing. They are built pretty stout, You will be happy.
[image]

LBZ - Stealth - RZR - Honda - SUPsurf - Fish - Kayak

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Suspension shackle failure - best replacement?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS