Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Whoever said 5er's were easier
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Whoever said 5er's were easier

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
Sponsored By:
laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/18 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"1. loop your break away cable to the 5th wheel handle."

Not a good idea, you should be attaching to the truck it's self.

If the entire hitch comes out of the bed, I probably have bigger issues than if the trailer brakes engage.

So true!

What I was thinking! [emoticon] I suppose I could go down and grab the safety chain loop for my TO Ball GN hitch, though...

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 60 Year Member

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/18 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Cummins12V98, you should patent that thing! Find some young guy who wants to make some spare change and have him build them for you. [emoticon]

Lyle

I'm just happy to share the idea since no one makes a step anywhere near this one. I do have one in a box that will fit the newer RAM's.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bpounds

Senile, er I mean

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/18 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the OP, it seems to me you are making things tough on yourself, by keeping a lot of habits from the old TT days. Like carrying too much stuff, fooling with the awning, and more.

Regarding the brake cable, I can reach mine to attach it to the hitch, but only barely, but we don't have a dually. I won't go into the debate on where to attach it, except to say that on the hitch handle works fine for me. I have homemade steps on the side of my bed, and have used them for the cable when the mood struck me (probably when my back was hurting). I also recently picked up one of the folding aluminum step stools from Harbor Freight, and I carry that at all times, even when not out camping. I also use it as the first step into the trailer, when we happen to camp on a site so out of level that it leaves that first step too high. I found the HF step to be about 2 or 3 inches taller than I preferred, so I cut the legs down a little. It's a handy little thing to have along.

All of these things are learned, and pieces acquired, over years of camping and practice. It would be a big job to compress all that into the first month of ownership. You might be smart to start at ground zero again, and start packing stuff only after it has proven useful. The past is a heavy thing to carry.

This is my homemade step;
[image]

[image]

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

bpounds

Senile, er I mean

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/18 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Meant to mention, about not seeing the hitch when backing up, you can get a mirror to mount on your pinbox, so you can see the hitch head. My Cougar even comes with one. I don't use it because I can see my hitch head in my long bed, but it would be handy if needed.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/18 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

" . . . the past is a heavy thing to carry."

Excellent phrase and oh so true.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 SD CC DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat, Hensley BD3 with Ford Under-Bed Adaptor
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, and Missy in spirit), Maggie, and Mica!

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/18 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I drove semi's we never had a back window, you just line up to trailer equal on both sides.

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/18 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ordered one of these today: Click here. Pick it up Tuesday next week.

Purchased 2 step ladders today, a 4 step and a 2 step. The 4 step is what I really needed for the truck bed. The 2 step will come in handy inside the trailer. Those cabinets are high! It sucks being short you know!

Put the awning strap in the slot on the awning roller last night. Now I can pull the awning down at an angle. I still can't reach the knob to tighten the arm in the down position, it's just too tall, but now that I have a shorter ladder I can keep with the camper, I think the problem is solved!

Getting easier? Or getting more creative? I dun-no?? Hey! The "old dog" is learning new tricks though!

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually

2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 even older folks now, but still lots of love!
And yes, it really does have a door on the opposite side:

gkainz

Arvada, CO, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Ordered one of these today: Click here. Pick it up Tuesday next week.

Purchased 2 step ladders today, a 4 step and a 2 step. The 4 step is what I really needed for the truck bed. The 2 step will come in handy inside the trailer. Those cabinets are high! It sucks being short you know!

Put the awning strap in the slot on the awning roller last night. Now I can pull the awning down at an angle. I still can't reach the knob to tighten the arm in the down position, it's just too tall, but now that I have a shorter ladder I can keep with the camper, I think the problem is solved!

Getting easier? Or getting more creative? I dun-no?? Hey! The "old dog" is learning new tricks though!

Heck - I'm 6' tall and those upper cabinets are tall for me. Got a little single step stool that folds up nicely.

Thinking about your "easier" opening comment, I found my 5er was so easy ...
"How easy was it?"
It was so easy that I went and got an Andersen Ultimate hitch, just so I had to get out of the truck once in a while to make sure I was completely under the ball socket. Then I commandeered my wife's iphone and use it like a backup camera to get the ball exactly under the socket. [emoticon]

'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Hey...GOOD to hear, and proves that old sayings do not apply to everyone!! Congrats on moving forward!![emoticon]

Jerry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Whoever said 5er's were easier
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS