Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Hurricane Michael Florida Coast RV'ers
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Hurricane Michael Florida Coast RV'ers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/18 11:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sure hope most of the snowbirds and full timers have not left early for Florida.

Michael is due to hit the panhandle dead on as a Cat 3.

Rock Crusher, Crystal River, Cedar Key are all VERY popular coastal places for RV camping and destination for snowbirds.

These popular CG's are right in the line of site for a 12 foot surge of historical magnitude. Evacuations have been ordered for the coast line in these areas AND inland.

Cedar Key is under actual hurricane warning.

All towns inland will be affected also because they are on the backside dirty side of the hurricane as it passes the entire west coast of Florida. High winds and rain.

Take heed anyone with RV's in this area. Stay safe and if they issue an evacuation order please for your safety leave. Stay safe my fellow RV'ers!

Well here i go once again with hurricane number 3 for me and my winter house since I bought it. I keep telling myself its better than shoveling snow, its better than shoveling snow!

First hurricane took my roof clean off. New roof is on, and thankfully has stayed on thru the last 2 hurricanes. Wish me luck on this one! [emoticon]

[image]

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 04:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were due to head for Florida yesterday, but had earlier changed those plans to meet up with some friends. As that storm progressed, it became a good thing that we had postponed our trip. Don't care to get into a hurricane. Since our son moved to Florida, we have had to wait out a couple big storms before visiting him in the fall.

Stay safe rockhillmanor. Thanks for the update.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
Mom to Scottish Terrier, Duchess
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

westend

Shorewood, MN

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 04:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck, Rockhill! These big hurricanes are no trifling deal if you live on the coast. It's better to pack up and go, returning to a mess than trying to struggle through it and keep the damage down. That's what insurance is for (and what can you actually do when in the throes of the storm except get hurt).

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/18 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW, nothing like over-hyping the issue. I think rockhillmanor must work for the weather channel [emoticon]

Lifelong Floridian here, and not really all that concerned. Yes, there'll be coastal flooding, downed trees and likely significant property damage of various degrees. But we've dealt with hurricanes almost annually for as long as I can remember. Always a good idea to evacuate if you're stuck in a RV, though many folks will just hunker down and look forward to a little cooler weather this weekend.

There's actually an excellent song for this occasion:

I don't mind the strain of a hurricane

2017 Chevrolet 2500 Duramax Crew Cab Z71
2014 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 6.7 Cummins w/ Aisin, Flatbed
2018 Grand Design Reflection 150 Series 290BH w/ B & W Companion (T/O Ball)
Old Rig:
2005 Wildcat 29BHBP w/ Andersen UH (Aluminum, lowered version for flatbed)
SBGTF

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your outlook all depends on what you are used TOO, where you grew up

I grew up in the midwest, for me thunder storms are nothing but heavy rain and a light show, but scare the xxxx out of many people

Tornados you can't predict the path and evacuate, I was there for Black Wednesday, I watched funnels go by North and South of me, the damage was tremendous, more than any hurricane, over a much wider area covering many states
From Alabama to Michigan and Kansas to Pennsylvania

I think the count was 156 tornadoes in one 24 hr period
(148 in 16 hrs afternoon and evening of April 3rd 1974)
So while a life long Floridian might be Blasie about hurricanes a transplant is not

And if that Floridian moved to the midwest, he might not be so calm when facing a tornado threat, while an Okie will climb into the storm cellar when the sirens go off, and hope his home up above him is still there when he comes out

* This post was edited 10/09/18 04:09pm by MrWizard *

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/18 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

So while a life long Floridian might be Blasie about hurricanes a transplant is not

And if that Floridian moved to the midwest, he might not be so calm when facing a tornado threat, while an Okie will climb into the storm cellar when the sirens go off, and hope his home up above him is still there when he comes out

I will take hurricanes all day over a tornado. I've experienced a tornado many years ago. I remember a dark night with multiple tornadoes, our home shaking, and watching friends mourn the loss of life in the aftermath. I've never been so scared in my life. So to me, I don't mind a hurricane.

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My son had a week booked at San Blas, already prepaid. Thnak goodness for vacation insurance

horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

Your outlook all depends on what you are used TOO, where you grew up

I grew up in the midwest, for me thunder storms are nothing but heavy rain and a light show, but scare the xxxx out of many people

Tornado's you can't predict the path and evacuate, I was there for Black Wednesday, I watched funnels go by North and South of me, the damage was tremendous, more than any hurricane, over a much wider area covering many states, From Alabama to Michigan and Kansas to Pennsylvania

I think the count was 156 tornados in one 24 hr period

X2
I'm from the Midwest also.
You most certainly don't get a weeks notice for a tornado like you do for a Hurricane! You're lucky if its 2 minutes! Look up, erie green sky, and you better take cover.

And yup X10. You get in the basement.
Where it is safe and you hope there is still something standing above the basement when it's all over. But most do survive IF they get the time to take cover in a basement.

None of the houses in Florida have basements.
Try wrapping a midwestern brain around that! When since the day you were born, every house you lived in had a safe secure basement. I still have a hard time with not having a basement.

Oh, and by the way when a Floridian claims that tornadoes are 'no big deal', and they have them in Florida too?

Yea they do have them. They have F0 and F1 tornadoes.[emoticon]

Come on up North sometime and experience real tornadoes at F5's and F6's!! Been there did that and lucky to still be here alive![emoticon]

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/18 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WTP-GC wrote:

MrWizard wrote:

I will take hurricanes all day over a tornado. I've experienced a tornado many years ago. I remember a dark night with multiple tornadoes, our home shaking, and watching friends mourn the loss of life in the aftermath. I've never been so scared in my life. So to me, I don't mind a hurricane.

Hurricane = 3 to 5 days notice it’s coming.

Tornado = 30 minutes warning it’s coming, if you’re lucky.

Give me a minute to think about my preference ........

Xflyhighx

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/18 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anybody who thinks that this hurricane will just be a little property damage is crazy. I will be more than happy to let you stay and watch the weather channel free with a complement bottle of fine wine.
My home is located 30 miles from the coast in Apalachicola national forest. Please respond If you are one of those people.

2019 Cedar Creek Champagne 38EL
TrailAir Pin Box
Hensley TS3 trailer saver
2017 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 dually
14' Porta-bote
Honda 3000is or 2 Honda 2000’s
Life is good in the good old USA

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Hurricane Michael Florida Coast RV'ers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS