Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Hurricane Michael Florida Coast RV'ers
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Hurricane Michael Florida Coast RV'ers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't let the media like the breathless TWC scare you unnecessarily. The best information is right from the horses mouth, the National Hurricane Center. The page on their website with the most important info takes some reading but down near the bottom of the page are the storm windfield statistics https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCMAT4+shtml/092054.shtml

Currently the size of the hurricane, i.e. diameter where hurricane & higher force winds are found, is only 70NM/77miles. Future projections are listed also. By looking around the NHC website there is far more info than the repetitive WC or local TV gives you.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Retired JSO

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are in Blairsville GA. We are departing to NE Florida before daylight. It’s imperative we be there by Thursday evening. I’m Thinking or routing more eastward along US 441 and US 1 to miss the mess along I 75.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For you guys living in the windy areas,
if your house gets destroyed build a stronger one next time..

https://tridipanel.com

Btw I have no interest in this company,just sharing

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/18 04:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pray that everyone is safe through these storms. We all experience severe weather no matter where we live. In Southwestern Wisconsin we are dealing with flooding this year. Here in Baraboo we have had almost a years worth of rain in late August, Sept, and Oct. The Baraboo River has been near flood stage for 6 weeks now. We all get bad weather, do the best you can and help out those that get hit worse than you do.
Yesterday we got a little basement time ourselves when the tornado sirens went off. I hat it when the sky turns green. Never a good sign.

Bob & Dawn Married 30 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/18 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WTP-GC wrote:

WOW, nothing like over-hyping the issue. I think rockhillmanor must work for the weather channel [emoticon]

Lifelong Floridian here, and not really all that concerned. Yes, there'll be coastal flooding, downed trees and likely significant property damage of various degrees. But we've dealt with hurricanes almost annually for as long as I can remember. Always a good idea to evacuate if you're stuck in a RV, though many folks will just hunker down and look forward to a little cooler weather this weekend.

There's actually an excellent song for this occasion:

I don't mind the strain of a hurricane
I don't understand the mindset of people who stay in the direct path of a major storm when they can leave and come back to the destruction. If your 3 feet above sea level and a 12 foot surge is predicted staying home can't protect your possessions. You can always purchase more stuff, you only have one life.

I understand riding out the storm ((IF)) your not in the direct path or the storm surge area.

westend

Shorewood, MN

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/18 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nobody in the Panhandle has experienced a hurricane of this intensity. Latest reports were an eyewall speed of 150+ MPH, that is just short of a Cat 5 hurricane and may reach that before landfall.

Get those new wiper blades and head Northwest would be my suggestion. I've been in a few on land and a few at sea. There is potential for great loss of life with this one, no embellishment intended, it's that bad.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/18 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am sitting here also in the Appalach Forest 30 miles from the coast , been thru many , many Canes in Florida and the Carib . What I have learned after 75 years is that a hurricane does and goes any where it wants ! You either run or you hunker done .
The mistake is that we still allow construction in the catastrophic areas !Be it Canes or floods we still allow construction . All home owners in Florida subsidize insurance for homes and business built in and on coastal islands .

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/18 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michael is a growing boy. He's cat 4 now .. If you are in his way GET OUTTA THERE and take your RV with you.. Kansas is looking real nice just now (Ok so that's part joke) GET OUTTA Michael's way. he's not a nice boy MOVE IT.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/18 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingbob wrote:

I am sitting here also in the Appalach Forest 30 miles from the coast , been thru many , many Canes in Florida and the Carib . What I have learned after 75 years is that a hurricane does and goes any where it wants ! You either run or you hunker done .
The mistake is that we still allow construction in the catastrophic areas !Be it Canes or floods we still allow construction . All home owners in Florida subsidize insurance for homes and business built in and on coastal islands .

X2
You got that right!!

And we ALL pay for those homes along and right smack on the coast. They amortize the costs. The insurance companies add up all their costs to rebuild these homes after each hurricane and "OUR" insurance rates go up. More hurricanes per year the more your insurance rate goes up. [emoticon]

Last year citizens insurance revamped their whole system. They found thousands of home owner policies that did NOT qualify for Citizens insurance and booted them out of their system.

And each and every one of them all screamed and moaned about it. You built a million dollar house on the coast? Well pay the dang correct home owners insurance rate for it.

And they also added a "miles from the coast line" disclaimer. Anyone within x amount of miles from the coast can not be insurable thru Citizens.

Hopefully over the next several years our insurance for those of us inland will return to a normal rate policy once we stop having to pay for those million dollars homes on the coast when they get destroyed by a hurricane.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/18 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockhillmanor wrote:

wanderingbob wrote:

X2
You got that right!!

And we ALL pay for those homes along and right smack on the coast. They amortize the costs. The insurance companies add up all their costs to rebuild these homes after each hurricane and "OUR" insurance rates go up. More hurricanes per year the more your insurance rate goes up. [emoticon]

Last year citizens insurance revamped their whole system. They found thousands of home owner policies that did NOT qualify for Citizens insurance and booted them out of their system.

And each and every one of them all screamed and moaned about it. You built a million dollar house on the coast? Well pay the dang correct home owners insurance rate for it.

And they also added a "miles from the coast line" disclaimer. Anyone within x amount of miles from the coast can not be insurable thru Citizens.

Hopefully over the next several years our insurance for those of us inland will return to a normal rate policy once we stop having to pay for those million dollars homes on the coast when they get destroyed by a hurricane.
X-3 They had one homeowner that had his home destroyed 8 time and insurance companies built him a new one every time.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Hurricane Michael Florida Coast RV'ers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS