Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Heartland "Bighorn " ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Heartland "Bighorn " ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mowingman

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/18 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would be real careful about Heartland. A good friend of ours bought a 40' Heartland with an MSRP of about $125,000. He had 48 warranty issues in less than a year. At the end of the first year, he got rid of it. After many talks with Heartland, he told me that that company has pretty much no quality control inspection, and leaves it up to the dealer to make sure the trailer is in good working order. FYI: He has a fantastic dealer who helped him all they could.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/18 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing you have to take into consideration is the build year. Our Bighorn was built in 2010. Excellent, trouble free, top quality unit. I could not say what the quality of today's build is other than industry wide quality in recent years has declined.

Another thing - go to the Heartland Owner's Forum and ask your questions there and research it among the Bighorn owners section. Here's the link. Logon. It's free.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 SD CC DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat, Hensley BD3 with Ford Under-Bed Adaptor
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, and Missy in spirit), Maggie, and Mica!

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/18 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

newman fulltimer wrote:

memtb wrote:

Accounts.....air conditioner! Looks like a little “unwanted/needed help from the computer!

New phone have not got the stupid word predictions turned off YET [emoticon]

I have that a lot! It helps me spell...but also says what it wants to!

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/18 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowingman wrote:

I would be real careful about Heartland. A good friend of ours bought a 40' Heartland with an MSRP of about $125,000. He had 48 warranty issues in less than a year. At the end of the first year, he got rid of it. After many talks with Heartland, he told me that that company has pretty much no quality control inspection, and leaves it up to the dealer to make sure the trailer is in good working order. FYI: He has a fantastic dealer who helped him all they could.

I think I will stick to my old Montana, good friend has a Heartland, hasn't been that great. Even rims that have cracked, I think he has replaced all four, after having two of them crack.

On edit, but so has the Montana rims on some . [emoticon]

* This post was edited 10/09/18 02:18pm by cummins2014 *

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/18 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super_Dave wrote:

newman fulltimer wrote:

I wouldn't buy a heartland.

We love our Heartland and could easily live full time in it. OP could probably use reasons you'd not buy a Heartland rather than blanket statement, particularly if you haven't owned one.

We get defensive about our Rv's ,and trucks. Good ,and bad with all of them.

You ,and I have been lucky,. I have a nearly 11 year old Montana, and couldn't be happier. Just got back from a week of elk hunting, and dry camping with it, and it performed flawlessly . No issues, my wife ran the Honda 2000, and the furnace non stop for nearly the entire time [emoticon] Among other things.

I have heard everything bad about the Montana's you could possibly think of, and the same with your Heartland. Defend if you want ,but why ??????

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/18 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowingman wrote:

Ouch ! Surprised by all the bad. Off my list after looking at it today. Fit of the cabinet doors was really bad plus my dealer is discontinuing carrying them. Some of the fit/finish just couldn't be fixed no matter how good a makeready tech is. My list of possible new 5ers is getting short

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/18 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Snip...

I have heard everything bad about the Montana's you could possibly think of, and the same with your Heartland. Defend if you want ,but why ??????

Probably because the op asked and that is the purpose of this thread?
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicle was 2016 Ram 2500 CTD

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I vote for the Jayco Eagle, with 7K axles, and Salun G tires.[emoticon]

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/18 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyp4951 wrote:

I vote for the Jayco Eagle, with 7K axles, and Salun G tires.[emoticon]

My local guy has the Eagle with the 1/2 bath with most options . We looked at it also & we could live with it but , & a very big but, we've seen the Pinnicle. Lots more $ but a lot more features. Should have upgraded before retireing, I'm getting too cheap . We could afford more but want to stay under 80k & that Eagle is only 56k. I may be wrong but a real good dealer is really important so have a lot of loyalty to my local guy from past experience.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/18 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sayoung wrote:

I would be real careful about Heartland. . .
Ouch ! Surprised by all the bad. Off my list after looking at it today. Fit of the cabinet doors was really bad plus my dealer is discontinuing carrying them. Some of the fit/finish just couldn't be fixed no matter how good a makeready tech is. My list of possible new 5ers is getting short

When I posted about the excellent quality of our 2011 Bighorn, I should've added that the dealership we purchased it from quit selling them in 2014 due to a drop in quality with the newer years . . .

We're sticking with our 2011, built in 2010. If we had to purchase another, we would go with an older model, period, due to the better quality of them.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Heartland "Bighorn " ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS