Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Heartland "Bighorn " ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Heartland "Bighorn " ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW, we bought a Big Country last year (made in April '17) and had 2 items repaired under warranty and outside of that, are very happy with it. Wet bolts and 5th Airborne added. Really nothing bad inside or out. Previous coach was a '06 Silverback and was very much considering another, but just couldn't find the right combo within their line. The BC is a heavier coach and so far, nothing moves inside while under tow. I won't say it doesn't have 100% QC, but overall very pleased w/ it and HL took care of our 2 issues w/o a fuss.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, SB, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowingman wrote:

I would be real careful about Heartland. A good friend of ours bought a 40' Heartland with an MSRP of about $125,000. He had 48 warranty issues in less than a year. At the end of the first year, he got rid of it. After many talks with Heartland, he told me that that company has pretty much no quality control inspection, and leaves it up to the dealer to make sure the trailer is in good working order. FYI: He has a fantastic dealer who helped him all they could.

I think this is true of virtually =all= RV mfrs, these days, with the only exceptions being the true custom-built stuff.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 60 Year Member

justme

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both Jayco and Heartland are subsidiaries of Thor. Jayco has a better suspension and is better built in the most important areas like the roof and underbelly. The cabinetry and appliances are basically equivalent.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

justme wrote:

Both Jayco and Heartland are subsidiaries of Thor. Jayco has a better suspension and is better built in the most important areas like the roof and underbelly. The cabinetry and appliances are basically equivalent.

As of what year?

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 SD CC DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat, Hensley BD3 with Ford Under-Bed Adaptor
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, and Missy in spirit), Maggie, and Mica!

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

newman fulltimer wrote:

What’s is a accounts units? ac units *

I do not believe Heartland makes their own AC units! For that matter all new trailers will have the same Dometic or Coleman AC's. Our 2017 Bighorn had a recall on the AC regarding drain holes which I did myself. It has been a great unit.

Chris

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Retired and enjoying it!

neal10a

Madison CT

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco has better engineering in the suspension and other areas that promote for better traveling. Heartland puts their effort into glitz and glamor rather than engineering.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

neal10a wrote:

Jayco has better engineering in the suspension and other areas that promote for better traveling. Heartland puts their effort into glitz and glamor rather than engineering.

Heartland has many different names in it's stable, from higher end to the low end of the market. Are you trying to paint them all with the same brush? I think the Landmarks are over priced! The Landmark, Bighorn and Big Country all go not the same assembly line. The Bighorn has a nice balance between price and what you get for one's money. The elite models have the same high roof lines of the Landmarks.

Chris

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

neal10a wrote:

What's to engineer? They both buy their frames from Lippert. They both use tandem axles with leaf springs and either Lippert or Dexter axles. Look the same to me. It's not like they build any part of the chassis themselves.

B.o.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

jdb7566

minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 05:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Friends have a 2018 Pinnacle and they are quite disgusted with it. It has to go back to the factory for a known problem of stress cracks appearing in the gel-coat of the main wall near the lower front corner of the BR slide, plus staples comming through the roof membrane. $100K and headaches. IMO if you like what you have with no problems, why change?

nea

allen8106

Burrton. KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2010 Jayco and it's been mostly trouble free. I've had a few very minor issues.

-The propane pigtails at the tanks had to be replaced about the third year.
-Had an upper cabinet door break loose and fall off. Was caused by a poor latch and a very rough road that allowed it to open then just hang there bouncing until it broke the upper hinge.
-The air mattress is a less than stellar set up.

Almost 30,000 miles towing this rig and never have had a bearing failure/issue, no blow outs, no axle issues, no frame issues. We've hauled to to Montana, California, Oregon, Arizona about 6 times. Overall it's served us well and we've used it a lot in my opinion.

The only way I would switch to another brand is if and that's a big if, I might consider a New Horizons. They are custom built by hand in Junction City, KS. A New horizons might actually be our full time retirement rig.

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax
1983 DW (love of my life)
2010 Pit Bull Terrier (Jake)

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 52

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Heartland "Bighorn " ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS