Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Refill Propane vs Exchange
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Refill Propane vs Exchange

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Joseph T

Oakville

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were camping at Killbear Provincial Park recently. It's a park we routinely go to and there is store just outside the park that sells the usual supplies including refilling of propane tanks. I was disappointed to find out that the owner had gotten rid of his refill service.

When I asked him about it he told me that the cost of getting the required licence and the cost of the liability insurance was prohibitive as he simply did not sell enough to justify the cost.

This concerns me that it might be an indication of where the industry is going. We have no problem getting our tanks refilled in major centres, but I wonder if finding refill stations is going to get harder and harder.

Also I bought a small 10 lb tank for my BBQ. Those are not available at exchange locations.

FYI

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always found refills hard to find in the areas I like to camp in as well.

The only time I'll exchange is when a tank is expiring or the valve starts acting up.

I wonder are refilling stations more common in the west, or the south?

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In California nearly every equipment rental yard will ReFill your tanks.

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Joseph T wrote:

When I asked him about it he told me that the cost of getting the required licence and the cost of the liability insurance was prohibitive as he simply did not sell enough to justify the cost.

This concerns me that it might be an indication of where the industry is going.

Also I bought a small 10 lb tank for my BBQ. Those are not available at exchange locations.

Hardly an issue, especially if your trailer has dual tanks. That 10 pounder you have can also be used a spare and 16 oz canisters, 'though expensive, are readily available just about anywhere. Carry a "2nd Chance" or "steak saver" adapter and you can even use one to run your camper in a pinch. No way I'd waste $$ on way overpriced, typically underfilled propane exchange tanks when here in Ontario Costco's propane pricing for refills is so inexpensive, about $12 Cdn at the moment for a 20 lb fill.

[image]

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/18 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pretty much, any RV repair shop will sell re-fill propane as do some Home Improvement stores, sometimes boat marinas.

I found I preferred to have my -previous- 20 pound's refilled instead of exchanged. If I have a good tank, I want to keep it. I no longer have 20 pounders at all, only 30, and those can't be exchanged anyway.

If in doubt, check with your campground host, campground park ranger, or campground store or local bait and tackle shop. There is always someone who will be able to tell you where you can get fill up's opposed to exchanges.

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually

2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 even older folks now, but still lots of love!

The new Montana is now officially, "The Love Shack 2"

Lwiddis

Cambria, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/18 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I treat my propane tanks nicely and I don't want someone else's "beat up" tank.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t know that it is a trend. Just a case of low volume not justifying the effort and expense of maintaining it. Simple economics.

Tom_M

New Hope, MN

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many Tractor Supply stores refill propane tanks. They are usually the cheapest.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Towing 2013 Smart Car

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many municipalities already prohibit refilling propane tanks in high density areas due to the fire hazard and previous accidents.

Refilling propane tanks isn't going away in my lifetime. It's just a matter of "where" I have go to get it done and "how much" is costs. Awareness is the key, just like getting a good price on any fuel.

Chum lee

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/18 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Refill only for me. Never done an exchange.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Refill Propane vs Exchange
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS