Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Refill Propane vs Exchange
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Refill Propane vs Exchange

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only did an exchange once as it came with the purchase of a Grill. Turned in a good Tank and received a piece of Junk in return. Couldn't get a different one as this was one of those where get the code from inside, enter it in the cylinder rack outside and a door opens, pull out the maybe full tank and put your empty in. Have Dual 40's on the 5er, so no exchange of them anyway.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not done an exchange since around here they only exchange 5 gallon tanks not the 7's. most people I know only do the exchange when their tanks are ready to expire and then they request a tank that is not beat all to heck

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/18 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was traveling through Maine recently and saw a sign for $11 tank refill. A very nice lady came out and filled my tank to its maximum weight. The tank actually had 20 pounds of propane in it when she was done. She said that during the summer, she fills 10 to 20 tanks a day. She said that they price their refills to be about equal to what they charge for delivered lp only they don't have to deliver it. Most people have partial tanks that they want topped off, it still cost $11. She fills it to the full weight.
Ok, now let someone come on and tell us that a full tank is only 80% capacity, and then claim that 16 pounds is full. Please do some research. These tanks have a 100% volume of 25 pounds.

Bob & Dawn Married 30 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/18 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing about exchanging tanks. Most of them do not fill the tanks. Instead of 20 lbs you will get 16.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Refills are generally more cost effective. First you get more propane and 2nd it costs less per gallon.

There are always Places that can refill.. Google as follows Propane near ##### (The 5 digit zip code of the park)

Depending on where you are
Gas Stations
Hardware Stores
Campgrounds
Pilot/Flying-J
Propane Wholesalers (I like Parker's in Flint. MI. Carmichaels in Tekonsha MI and both the Ace Hardware (I think might be True Value) and the Tractor Supply next door in Seneca SC) to name but 3 places.

NOTE Carmichaels is hard to find for most folks. not for me.. (Farm I grew up on).

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarabooBob wrote:

I was traveling through Maine recently and saw a sign for $11 tank refill. A very nice lady came out and filled my tank to its maximum weight. The tank actually had 20 pounds of propane in it when she was done. She said that during the summer, she fills 10 to 20 tanks a day. She said that they price their refills to be about equal to what they charge for delivered lp only they don't have to deliver it. Most people have partial tanks that they want topped off, it still cost $11. She fills it to the full weight.
Ok, now let someone come on and tell us that a full tank is only 80% capacity, and then claim that 16 pounds is full. Please do some research. These tanks have a 100% volume of 25 pounds.
Even if all the tanks were completely empty, filling 20 tanks in a day is only 100 Gallons of propane. My home and business tanks average around 500 gallons each per fill. My guess is a delivery driver fills 10 or so tanks daily, so they are selling about 50 times the propane as the store on a daily basis.
We quit filling tanks years ago. The profits in filling the tanks was negligible and the labor pretty intense. Seems people on vacation like to fill tanks on the wettest, coldest days of the year when recreation is pretty much out of the question. Filling 20lb tanks is more customer service than a profitable venture.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom_M wrote:

Many Tractor Supply stores refill propane tanks. They are usually the cheapest.

Within 7 miles of my house, I can get cylinders filled at Big R, Ace hardware, U-Haul, and Tractor Supply.
They all fill by the metered gallon (no weight), and I think they are all $2.49/gallon.
I think there are a couple of exchange facilities also, but I have never used them so I don't know where they are.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

LOFAT36

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/18 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

Joseph T wrote:

When I asked him about it he told me that the cost of getting the required licence and the cost of the liability insurance was prohibitive as he simply did not sell enough to justify the cost.

This concerns me that it might be an indication of where the industry is going.

Also I bought a small 10 lb tank for my BBQ. Those are not available at exchange locations.

Hardly an issue, especially if your trailer has dual tanks. That 10 pounder you have can also be used a spare and 16 oz canisters, 'though expensive, are readily available just about anywhere. Carry a "2nd Chance" or "steak saver" adapter and you can even use one to run your camper in a pinch. No way I'd waste $$ on way overpriced, typically underfilled propane exchange tanks when here in Ontario Costco's propane pricing for refills is so inexpensive, about $12 Cdn at the moment for a 20 lb fill.

[image]
. You think $12 is expensive ? Try $21 in BC

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOFAT36 wrote:

You think $12 is expensive ? Try $21 in BC

Just my point - the OP is here in S Ontario where a 20 lb fill at Costco is ~ $12 Cdn. Exchange tanks at many times that are pointless.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/18 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

One thing about exchanging tanks. Most of them do not fill the tanks. Instead of 20 lbs you will get 16.

20 lb propane bottle exchanges are one of the biggest rip offs in the modern world of conveniences. They do tell you (in fine print) that they only put 15 lbs of propane in the tank for "safety" reasons. That is a CROCK OF SH!T. The tank is deigned, tested and certified to hold 20 lbs. There is even a built in Overfill Protection Device (OPD) to prevent this occurrence.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Refill Propane vs Exchange
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS