Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Super Hot Propane tank when traveling
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Super Hot Propane tank when traveling

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
mjohnwwjd

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/18 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The actual propane tank is what gets hot.

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/18 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll bet that a heat shield was installed when it left the factory. I would spend some time underneath looking for mountings for it, either with broken pieces of it remaining, or tabs, ears or brackets with nothing attached to them.

Possibly it broke, starting rattling, possibly dropped down dragging the road, and the previous owner removed it, and never bothered to do anything about it.

Charles

2007 Winnebago View 523H on a 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles on it, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Chill Grille, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/18 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike, maybe a call to Jayco supplying your vin # would give you the answer you need. They might have the build sheet on your unit. They might have had to add a heat shield specific to your model unit and as said, it was removed by previous owner.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CharlesinGA wrote:

I'll bet that a heat shield was installed when it left the factory. I would spend some time underneath looking for mountings for it, either with broken pieces of it remaining, or tabs, ears or brackets with nothing attached to them.

Possibly it broke, starting rattling, possibly dropped down dragging the road, and the previous owner removed it, and never bothered to do anything about it.

Charles
I was thinking like Charles. Do your own thorough inspection of the area.

I wonder if an RV repair center like Camping World would be best equipped to fabricate and safely install a heat shield. Given the heat thermal-cycling, they might also recommend you replace the propane tank. That will cost some money, but surely worth it.

One thing for sure....I would not drive the rig again, except to have the issue resolved.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

rjstractor

Auburn, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How hot is hot? 110 degrees might be uncomfortable to touch with your hand but harmless in terms of tank temperature. Propane tanks left outside in the Southwest will see temps considerably higher than that. Now if it's 200+ that's a problem. You don't want the tank to vent. Venting is harmless UNLESS the vented propane finds an ignition source, then you have a big problem!

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A muffler shop knows EXACTLY had to fabricate/install heat shields ....it isn't their first rodeo.

It is what they do a living.

Camping World.......yeah that is who I would want working on my propane and exhaust system. [emoticon]

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

ernie1

Sacramento,California,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/18 11:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think camper dave hit the nail on the head. Had the same problem with my 1989 Ford E350. The catalytic converter had fallen apart and was plugged so it got super hot to a point where the paint around the exhaust pipe exit area blistered. Heard ticking also which was the extreme heat up of the converter. At a rv park I sprayed the propane tank and it produced a bunch of steam. I think the original problem was one or both oxygen sensors was faulty and affecting the converter. No I don't think you're imagining that the propane tank is getting too hot.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Super Hot Propane tank when traveling
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS