Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Do I need a WDH with a 25ft TT
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Do I need a WDH with a 25ft TT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/18 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave5143 wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

Personal preference, I tow a TH TT that's only 22 foot with a Ford F-350 and the ride and handling is improved with a WDH. My tongue weight is around 1250#.

What truck are you using?

A 22 foot trailer with a tongue weight of 1250#??? Have you got a load of bricks in the front storage bay?[emoticon]
It's a Toy hauler travel trailer with a built in Onan and over 100 gallons of fresh water and 40 gallons of fuel. The 1250 tongue weight is with the water tank empty and 40 gallons of fuel behind the axle. Does not have a front storage compartment. I also added shocks and center point air ride suspension.

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/18 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pulled a 22H Arctic Fox (they are heavy) all over with a WD hitch and a Reese friction sway bar for a long time. The pull dog was a 2002 F250 PSD. There was one wet curve with the road truck rutted where the sway bar saved the rig and maybe my life.

With that experience I suggest you have one or two friction sway bars.

2014 Leprechaun 290QB Chevy 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/18 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking at a Curt WDH with sway control.

Strangely they sell WDH which are unable to back up with the hitch attached?! Are there a lot of people driving their TT only forward?

* This post was edited 10/10/18 07:43pm by agesilaus *

Glendale Titanium 29E34TS fifth wheel
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
PullRite OE Series Super5th 18K
Superbumper

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recommend a WD hitch for that combo

Bob

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never heard of Curt WDH. If you cannot back up I would not buy it.

Folks with TTs should chime in with current good ones that can be backed up.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Strangely they sell WDH which are unable to back up with the hitch attached?! Are there a lot of people driving their TT only forward?

Sway control, not weight distribution - 2 different animals. [emoticon] Doesn't happen all the time but if you back up at an acute angle with a stand alone friction sway bar really tightened down there is the possibility of bending the sway bar. [emoticon] This has nothing to do with weight distribution nor those WD systems that feature integrated sway control as a function of it's design as a WD system.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AJR wrote:

Curt makes a lot of models and most can be backed. Curt is a well know brand in fifth wheel hitches and a lot of other rv parts.

I looked at Equalizer but the darned thing requires a 1 7/8 thinwall 3/4 inch drive to mount it on the truck. Well over a $100 for the tools and a lot more if you get a 3/4 drive torque wrench. That's a non-starter for me and just plain bad design.

* This post was edited 10/11/18 03:16pm by agesilaus *

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

Sway control, not weight distribution - 2 different animals. [emoticon] Doesn't happen all the time but if you back up at an acute angle with a stand alone friction sway bar really tightened down there is the possibility of bending the sway bar. [emoticon] This has nothing to do with weight distribution nor those WD systems that feature integrated sway control as a function of it's design as a WD system.
The problem is not from it being too tight.
The sway bar operates the same whether the TV is backing or going forwards. On some TVs the angle can become very sharp when going forwards.
My first TV was a 73 Blazer, and with it's short wheelbase and tight turning radius, I could and did once make contact with it to the TT when making a U turn. Slight damage to the TT, but the dual sway controls were undamaged.
The warning about this is because on many lashups, the sway bar will "crash" into the hitch when the TT/TV are at an acute angle. On most lashups, this cannot happen when going forward.

Someone here, (Jbirsh?) did an extensive article with pics illustrating this...
Recomendation is to get a friend to observe the hitch when making sharp turns in both directions forwards and backwards to see if/or you have the issue, and just how sharp you can turn before it occurs....
A good friend that will stop you before damage is done.
[emoticon]

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

AJR wrote:

Curt makes a lot of models and most can be backed. Curt is a well know brand in fifth wheel hitches and a lot of other rv parts.

I looked at Equalizer but the darned thing requires a 1 7/8 thinwall 3/4 inch drive to mount it on the truck. Well over a $100 for the tools and a lot more if you get a 3/4 drive torque wrench. That's a non-starter for me and just plain bad design.
The special socket is to mount the ball to the hitch. Some places (RVW) will do this for you when you purchase both together from them gratis.
RVW happens to have very good prices as well.

I am sure that others will do the same.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVW? Some local place in Phoenix? A bit far to drive for me...heh

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Do I need a WDH with a 25ft TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS