Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Do your own experiment removing alcohol
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Do your own experiment removing alcohol

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 12:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Especially when armed with a degree in chemistry.

The idea is to remove alcohol from gasoline since there is interest in doing it in the interests of small engine vulnerability.

RAcor makes one of the better units.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 02:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Especially when armed with a degree in chemistry.

The idea is to remove alcohol from gasoline since there is interest in doing it in the interests of small engine vulnerability.

RAcor makes one of the better units.

If you have a bad fuel source, filter before fueling and don't leave fuel in the small engine if not using frequently.

Otherwise, it's mostly myth that ethanol hurts small engines. This was an issue when ethanol 1st started to be used but it's been a long time since engines haven't been designed to accommodate it.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 05:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a problem with my outboard engine 2 months ago. I took a jar of gas out of the fuel line and it was phase separated, with a clear bottom layer. I drained the whole tank and refilled and its working well. I think the water got in by me leaving the tank half empty after fishing trips. I now fill up right after fishing rather than right before. That should stop condensation.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that is one of those proposals that looks good on paper but come time to fly..... like a solid brick balloon.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

If you have a bad fuel source, filter before fueling and don't leave fuel in the small engine if not using frequently.

Otherwise, it's mostly myth that ethanol hurts small engines. This was an issue when ethanol 1st started to be used but it's been a long time since engines haven't been designed to accommodate it.

It is a persistent myth. It's been 15 years or more since I had a small engine fail due to the use of ethanol content.

I use Top Tier premium gasoline in small engines and have one engine that sat for two years without use and it still started and ran.
I simply have not experienced the "old gas" problems that others have had.

2014 Lance 1181
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. . ." -Mark Twain

MEXICOWANDERER

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let's unmyth the fact that sulfur in gasoline is a major contributor to airborne smog.
By all rights gasoline can be de-sulfured to 0 ppm. They burn off isobutane at well heads instead of converting it to alkylate.

Doubling alkylate percentage and extracting sulfur to 0 ppm would reduce emissions more than using 50% ethanol. Gasoline with 10% alkylate produces HALF the CO. Isobutane? LPG. Forklifts in warehouses use LPG.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the West Coast we have been using ethanol based gas for a very long time. It did creates some problems when first converting because it cleaned all the built up sludge in the fuel system which usually ended up in clogged fuel filters. But the engines in my lawn mowers/generators/tractors/cars etc seem to be doing OK.

Kevin

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

It takes a substantial amount of alcohol to remove water from gasoline.

Therefore it takes relatively little water to remove lots of ethanol.

David ... you lost me right after those two sentences.

Ya mean that when alcohol "removes" water from gas - the alcohol is destroyed as far as any further being a provider of energy for the engine it's about to enter?

I assume that the alcohol molecules are still effective as an energy source for an engine even after those molecules have bound up some water molecules.

In other words ... are alcohol's properties also "removed" whenever it removes water? [emoticon]

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

MEXICOWANDERER

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah I could have said it better. Alcohol amalgamates water with fuel.

Some folks here fuss over the effects of alcohol on small engines.

Water and alcohol mix. Capiche? But not water with petroleum.

So water can extract alcohol from fuel.

For those who care to do so.

Me? I care about my siesta. And entertain myself with curious customs...

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

It takes a substantial amount of alcohol to remove water from gasoline.

Therefore it takes relatively little water to remove lots of ethanol.

David ... you lost me right after those two sentences.

Ya mean that when alcohol "removes" water from gas - the alcohol is destroyed as far as any further being a provider of energy for the engine it's about to enter?

I ASSUME that the alcohol molecules are still effective as an energy source for an engine even after those molecules have bound up some water molecules.

[emoticon]

You don't have to ASSUME anything. You are correct! Pure gasoline (E0), for all intent, can be assumed to be a non-polar solvent. Water, on the other hand is a highly polar solvent. That's why to two don't mix well. Ethanol is kind of between the two, hence the term . . . . miscible . . . with both water and gasoline. Ethanol attracts water into the mix without technically "bonding" with water. Because the two are both polar, they attract each other and improve the solubility of water in gasoline. Methanol is the same as Ethanol in that respect. The water simply mixes with the fuel and passes through the system, then out the tailpipe instead of collecting on the bottom of the fuel tank, float bowl, or any other low points in the fuel system. The ethanol is burned as fuel and creates heat. It doesn't matter if it attracts water to it or not. The heat of combustion vaporizes the water before it leaves the engine.

Chum lee

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Do your own experiment removing alcohol
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS