Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: replacing 2 of 4 tires on a TT question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> replacing 2 of 4 tires on a TT question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Most will say everything must match. I don't buy that it will make any difference. Get the pair of Endurance this year and replace the other pair in a few years if that is what the budget allows.

This is what I would do too.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

downtheroad wrote:

I would bite the bullet and replace all 4 with the GY Endurance in LRD's and get on down the road.

And I would upgrade to 15" tires and wheels.

Steel wheels are pretty cheap from www.etrailer.com

Sell your current tires and wheels on Craigslist

Bob

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd upgrade to 15s or 16s as well.
Mind boggling that a 30' TT has 14" wheels / tires on it.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2015 Nash 17k (bought pre-owned 5/23/18)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/18 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure I'd buy a 30' TT that only had 14" wheels. That manufacturer is cutting corners, and if it is cutting corners with equipment that easily viewable, where else is the manufacturer cutting corners.

deltabravo wrote:

I'd upgrade to 15s or 16s as well.
Mind boggling that a 30' TT has 14" wheels / tires on it.

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Dachshund (RIP)
www.thetravelingkoala.blogspot.com
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg

And Blue Ox WDH/Sway Control

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/18 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Most will say everything must match. I don't buy that it will make any difference. Get the pair of Endurance this year and replace the other pair in a few years if that is what the budget allows.

^This.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

hawkeye-08

Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/18 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend in his 70s has been camping for years, he replaces two tires every two years, always keeps the best for spare of old tires. Also has bearings repacked while wheels are off.. Never had tire problem on trailer and he doesn't have to pay for 4 tires all at once..

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/18 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless one has hard engineering data supporting installing wheels/tires that exceed the designed and rated axle weights IMO doesn't make sense. For many light and ultra light wt trailers with 3500lb axles putting tires that are rated over 3500lbs is not really needed. I understand why one would try and point to the age old "reserve capacity" concept, but I'm not sure how valid that is today.

I have never seen any valid and documented studies on this area and I personally can only see it being possibly beneficial if one encounters a road hazard like "curbing" or hitting a pothole where a much higher capacity tire might not be as damaged as a lighter tire.

I have for over 25,000 miles on this trailer run my tires to within 25 to 50lbs of their max load carrying capacity and have seen ZERO adverse effects. That is only a data set of one, but is one I know is good and all that is using the dreaded "china bomb" GY Marathon trailer tires. The only issue I have seen is the one set of Kumho 857s tires that had that extra capacity of over 300lbs per tire load carrying capacity where I lost three of them within 500 miles of each other from tread separation and sidewall bulging and they were less than 4 years old and only had around 5,000 miles use on them and had been running with over 300lbs excess load capacity per tire.

Larry

camping cowleys

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/18 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did this exact thing on our vacation last year. 1000 miles into our trip I had 2 GY Marathons LR D go bad on me. Belts separated but no blowouts. Had 2 new GY Endurance LR E installed and put another 2000 miles on during that trip. Finished the summer of 2017 and traveled all of 2018 with that arrangement and no problems. I think the other Marathons will age out this year and plan to replace them with the endurance next spring.

John,Carol
Sarah,Rachel, JJ
2005 YukonXL 2500 8.1 4.10
2008 Sunnybrook 298BH

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> replacing 2 of 4 tires on a TT question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS