Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Another Generator Thread
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Another Generator Thread

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I referenced the Honda 2000I, Yes the newer model the 2200I has a little more capacity.
I still think the Predator would be a better set.
The two smaller gensets are easier to move around.
Neighbor bought the Predator 3500. It was a good price. Runs around 57dbs. He carries his in pick up and it normally remains there.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

el.jefe

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm, I'm reading up on microair now. Sounds like it could be a great solution, for less than the cost of a second gen? And not have to carry two generators and the extra fuel? Sounds too good to be true, honestly.

Seems like also a solution to run the AC in the trailer hen its parked in the back yard in "guest house" mode? Getting 30amp service to it isnt going to happen with the constraints in by breaker panel at the house. But I can run 20amp over there easily.

2018 Keystone Passport 3290bh
2007 Chevy Express 3500
Me, the Wife, and a whole bunch of kids

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

el.jefe wrote:

Hmmm, I'm reading up on microair now. Sounds like it could be a great solution, for less than the cost of a second gen? And not have to carry two generators and the extra fuel? Sounds too good to be true, honestly.

It's not (too good to be true). I've done the installation, and I run my 13,500 BTU air conditioner regularly using my iGen 2500 Westinghouse generator. The Micro Air installation video and documentation is very clear and easy to follow.

-Speak

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

el.jefe wrote:

.. microair now. Sounds like it could be a great solution, for less than the cost of a second gen? And not have to carry two generators and the extra fuel? Sounds too good to be true, honestly.
Imho, it is. One 2kw generator will be working very hard and be very loud.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When overnighting in a temporary location, like a Walmart, running a generator after dark is "frowned upon".

Admittedly, if you are parked off to the side your 2000W inverter generator is probably quieter than a semi idling, so where you park is an issue. Also, using a portable generator in a parking lot is a very tempting item for a thief. Make sure it is locked up well. Late night TV can be done with a single battery and a 300W inverter.

I would go with a either a Predator or Champion 2000W inverter and get a Micro-Easy Start for next year or plan on buying a second generator.

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd go with an inverter for TV watching, let the tow vehicle charge the battery while driving.
Generator - one now, add a second parallel unit later.

Used Honda EU 2k's can be found on Craigslist for 700-850.

Bob

marcsbigfoot20b27

Phx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed a Micro air about 2 years ago. Honda 2000i would not run it (13.5K).
My new Honda 2200i starts and runs it on ECO mode with rpms not even ramped all the way up.

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

I would go with a either a Predator or Champion 2000W inverter and get a Micro-Easy Start for next year or plan on buying a second generator.

The folks at MicroAir recommended against a Champion 2000W inverter generator. They had tested their product with that generator and found the generator didn't actually supply 2000W. One of the reasons I got a Micro Air Easy Start is because of their willingness to answer my questions and guide me toward a generator that was known to work with their product.

-Speak

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the November trip I would just install a small inverter in your entertainment center for overnighting at Walmart or other similar overnighting sites. We could power our HDTV, HD Sat receiver, bluray dvd game console, soundbar, and charge all phones or tablets using our 300 watt inverter with room to spare. We have a pair of golf cart batteries and a couple hours of inverter usage hardly puts a dent in them. Your batteries should be in decent shape upon arrival if they are indeed receiving a charge while towing.

That being said, we have a couple of generators as we do most of our RVing off the power grid, often times in extreme weather where our solar array does not always keep up. Our rig has an onboard Onan and 3 years ago we picked up a Champion 3100 inverter genny with remote start being accustomed to one button power on and off simplicity when genny power is required. Running a portable genny at Walmart is fine as there are no rules that prohibit their use, the fact they can be readily taken is a major concern.

As it pertains to future boondocking, your best bet is a multiphase solution that includes sufficient solar and 12 volt reserves in addition to whatever generator configuration you decide to buy. Having a smart converter to ensure quick recharging will certainly reduce genny runtime, incorporating a psw inverter for low powered 120 VAC items reduces it even further. There are dual fuel generator options if carrying gas is an issue, although propane will be more costly as it is consumed at a much higher rate by comparison.

el.jefe

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 04:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at some inverter options also, but it seems like I still need to charge the batteries, won't I? Will the camper batteries really charge during a day of driving? I also will need to run the furnace and don't want to run the battery too low.

I love the thought of just using battery, but I looked at some other portable battery solutions, but they are quite expensive for the number of amp hours j can get, plus they will take a long time to recharge the following day. For multiple days in a row on the road, it seems like I need to be able to fully recharge each day.

The other issue with battery and inverter is I might want to option of running both tvs. And maybe also the Xbox. I'll be traveling with at least 7 kids on this trip, which means it's very possible I'll have a board game or cards going at the table, a movie in the main tv, and a couple kids on a video game in the back. Not sure about a battery that will run 2 screens and a game system[emoticon]. For this trip I'm going to have at least 7 kids with me, possibly 8 if my adult daughter comes too. So I want to be prepared.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Another Generator Thread
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS