Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Perhaps one should practice a little.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Perhaps one should practice a little.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 04:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's Entertainment. A huge shiny Airstream arrived being pulled by a new GMC 2500 Duramax at the campground shortly before dark. They had reserved a pull through dorectly across from us. Nothing is close to level in the campground.

10 trys to get the trailer on some blocks to do his side to side leveling. Its tough when you pull up with the truck at a 45 degree angle to trailer, set the blocks, then attempt to back onto them. I offered to help and was told no thanks, rather unpolitely I might add.

So after 11 tries and much husband and wife arguing, they gave up and switched sites to a back in. A half dozen tries and a full hour and a half after arrival later. Oh brother. This guy is actually on the highway with other vehicles around?

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 04:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ralph Cramden wrote:

I offered to help and was told no thanks, rather unpolitely I might add.

That's when I would have smiled, walked back to my site and started to record the entertainment.
We can't fix stupid or rude.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 05:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, love watching when they don't want help but desperately need it. Still not as good entertainment as a boat launch at the end of the day!!!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

07 Cherokee 32B Dexter EZ Flex
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

tuna fisher

joshua tree ,ca.

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 05:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Yep, love watching when they don't want help but desperately need it. Still not as good entertainment as a boat launch at the end of the day!!!
X2

2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!">

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I gave up on offering people help. I watched a guy with a new-to-him Monaco try to figure out how to use the slide-out locks to hold the slide-out out. Just before I left I asked him if he ever figured it out. He said he couldn't see how they were supposed to do anything and I told him that's because they were supposed to hold the slide-outs in while rolling down the road. Dawn breaks.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 06:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a man having issues getting his trailer up on blocks. I finally told him that get it level even if it's only half on the blocks and we will pick it up and move the blocks.. I can only lift 12 tons. (You can imagine the look I got) while he leveled it I returned across the street and loaded ther 150 PSI air compressor and ther 12 ton Air/Hydraulic bottle jack-jack.

Then he understood and we got 'er done.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 07:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, aren't we all super cool, and all that smug, and such experts?

and....haven't we all been there when we first started? I sure can remember way back, when I did my very first back in to a difficult site. It was a disaster and the wife and I got grumpy.....

But, how easily we do forget.
It's all part of the adventure.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my opinion, one of the worst things one can do is offer help in a situation like this, unless you are at an RV park and you are guided to your spot. Sometimes these people are very helpful. Each has to learn on their own and make their own mistakes. They'll get it. I'm sure we've all been there, even with practicing. Real life is not the same as practice.

How do I know? Been there and done that.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 SD CC DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat, Hensley BD3 with Ford Under-Bed Adaptor
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, and Missy in spirit), Maggie, and Mica!

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 07:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple in there 70 with an older truck and camper trying to back in next to us. After about six tries we went to help. Just walking along side and telling him which way to steer. They had obviously been camping for years because the wife was telling us places they had been and everything they had was well used. We asked the wife if they needed help hooking up and she said she could do it, then she looked at us and said "I hate ****ing camping".

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 07:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never offer to help anymore unless asked. Sides it is entertaining to watch.

I just love it when folks start peeking when I pull up to a tough back. But you know, I am guilty of the same thing if I am not busy and need some entertainment.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Perhaps one should practice a little.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS