Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Perhaps one should practice a little.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Perhaps one should practice a little.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

downtheroad wrote:

Well, aren't we all super cool, and all that smug, and such experts?

and....haven't we all been there when we first started? I sure can remember way back, when I did my very first back in to a difficult site. It was a disaster and the wife and I got grumpy.....

But, how easily we do forget.
It's all part of the adventure.
I disagree, we all didn't act that way.

I wasn't to proud to talk to the long term RV'ERS and gleaned a lot of knowledge from them. I was already decent at backing from years of boat ownership before the RV. The older people were more then accommodating sharing their knowledge with me over a cup of coffee. I also found out about good restaurants and things to see in the area. I enjoyed listing to their stories about travel to other destinations. That's one reason I enjoyed RV'ING the camaraderie.

I have tried to be helpful as well to obvious New RV'ERS. Most are receptive and very greatful. Last month I showed a person how to winterize their new trailer.

If I see a person struggle I will offer assistance, it's up to them to accept or decline. I know I was greatful for other RVer's that shared their knowledge with me. Like you said we all started somewhere.

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Yep, love watching when they don't want help but desperately need it. Still not as good entertainment as a boat launch at the end of the day!!!

That used to be one of my favorite entertainment venues.. the boat ramp on a weekend.

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Old Days

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 08:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Owning a truck camper isn't bad to level, I only have to worry about four tires. Camping in the Rockies I have never had a level site, I see a lot of trailers backing in, and it does look like a challenge.

2oldman

Quartzsite

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 08:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ralph Cramden wrote:

That's Entertainment. A huge shiny Airstream arrived being pulled by a new GMC 2500 Duramax at the campground shortly before dark.
I see a lot of newbies and do get a kick out of watching them. Shortly before dark doesn't help.

azrving

Quartzsite

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just mind my own business and don't even get up to look out the window to enjoy others misery. I have had people come over to ask about my lack of generator noise or where I got my fancy steps etc and I'm glad to talk to them.

If I was having trouble with something I would ask someone. I was at Betties in Louisiana and a guy came and asked me if I knew anything about electricity and getting his DP running. As i started looking at it with him a few clowns showed up with two of them insisting that the six volt batteries needed to be removed and charged. Voltages were ok so I said we needed to be sure the normal things were covered first before assuming it's broke. It ended up being a heavy duty switch near the door that he said was on. I turned it off and on and it started working.

Busy bodies stay home. If others misery is fun to you get a hobby or seriously look at your life.

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never enjoyed watching other peoples misery, although I don't offer to help anymore. Some people welcome the help but others seem to be offended when offered help so I stopped offering. I will always help if asked.

2018 Miramar 35.3
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500
4 fur kids (Murphy, Monty, Lola and Pinto)

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was walking past a struggling couple with a fifth wheel trying to back in. They asked me if I could back up a fifth wheel? I said sure, and was handed the keys to the truck. First try, parked it right where they wanted it in their spot.

They were over the moon and carried on with their enjoyment.

Mike and Carole
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup, do it all the time. Don't camp much, but bet I end up backing someone else's trailer in or off the launch ramp a couple times a year average.
Depends on the person. New lifted Durastroke with a flashy boat and 6 surfboards in the racks and it ain't even a surf boat? Probably going to pass as the Bro knows how to do it....
Normal dude or lady who is just trying to get their Bayliner in the water behind a 2006 minivan, more likely to accept some direction or assistance.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm pretty good at backing and leveling, even at angles, but every so often it's just not in the cards. And then there are those times when for whatever reason tempers are already short before even getting to the campsite. Just give 'em some time and leeway.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TurnThePage wrote:

I'm pretty good at backing and leveling, even at angles, but every so often it's just not in the cards. And then there are those times when for whatever reason tempers are already short before even getting to the campsite. Just give 'em some time and leeway.

X2.

I'll add that as a solo camper, I am better at backing myself up than having someone else direct me, so thank you no, I don't want your help.

Once, I was backing my old TT into my driveway. A man in a car pulled over, jumped out and started directing me. He was being helpful of course. I ended up backing in then waiting for him to leave before pulling out and doing it all over. He had directed in such a way that I couldn't access the TT when it was parked. I knew exactly how to back in and was doing fine - his "help" created more work for me regardless of his opinion.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Perhaps one should practice a little.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS