Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Perhaps one should practice a little.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Perhaps one should practice a little.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
azrving

Quartzsite

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam
Yep it's been on an old thread. How about a topic on banging on people door to self enforce park rules. [emoticon]

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah, no I did not threaten to put poop in anyone's generator. I disagreed with you on the generator thread, but I try to voice an opinion not voice a stupid action retaliate against a stupid action...

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 11:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Crowe wrote:

Seems to me it's those that "can do" (or at least THINK they can) are the one's complaining-condescending actually.

Yep, funny isn't that.

Whenever someone comes in as a newbie and asks about towing trailer, everyone replies with how easy it is and all they need to do is practice. Yet, it appears that out in the real world, it is not that easy and when people struggle through their practicing to figure it out, they are laughed at and insulted. Not a very nice community...
Yep - this forum has devolved since I joined. New members don't hang around for too long. They come and ask a simple question, and then people start asking about their setups, then the floodgates open when the OP dares to have a different method for doing something that the old guard on here simply cannot comprehend. After the OP has been gone to never return they post head scratching emoji wondering where they aren't replying. Examples are to numerous to mention - one only has to be a regular reader. And coincidentally, they are the same old posters - over and over defending their turf against all newcomers.

Not sure what level of satisfaction one gets from sitting in a CG and reporting the actions of others on an internet forum.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 11:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Ah, no I did not threaten to put poop in anyone's generator. I disagreed with you on the generator thread, but I try to voice an opinion not voice a stupid action retaliate against a stupid action...
SidecarFlip said he would come at night and pour pop in the gas tank.

Pop is northern speak for soda.

Here is the quote from that closed thread

SideCarFlip wrote:

If it was a open frame noise maker I'd ask to shut it off too. and if it continued I'd wait for dark and trundle over there and pour in a cup full of pop in the gas tank.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

Crowe wrote:

Seems to me it's those that "can do" (or at least THINK they can) are the one's complaining-condescending actually.

Yep, funny isn't that.

Whenever someone comes in as a newbie and asks about towing trailer, everyone replies with how easy it is and all they need to do is practice. Yet, it appears that out in the real world, it is not that easy and when people struggle through their practicing to figure it out, they are laughed at and insulted. Not a very nice community...
Yep - this forum has devolved since I joined. New members don't hang around for too long. They come and ask a simple question, and then people start asking about their setups, then the floodgates open when the OP dares to have a different method for doing something that the old guard on here simply cannot comprehend. After the OP has been gone to never return they post head scratching emoji wondering where they aren't replying. Examples are to numerous to mention - one only has to be a regular reader. And coincidentally, they are the same old posters - over and over defending their turf against all newcomers.

Not sure what level of satisfaction one gets from sitting in a CG and reporting the actions of others on an internet forum.

Hahaha, well said and on point to your observations -- some even suggested I buy a more expensive, supposedly less noisy generator I did a thorough research and noise-testing to see that my genny is compliant, lol.

In one thread, a fellow RVer got slammed on running a junk (I don't know how they concluded that) because he wants to run within the speed limits or lower.

Oh well, part of the fun anyways.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azrving wrote:

Yosemite Sam
Yep it's been on an old thread. How about a topic on banging on people door to self enforce park rules. [emoticon]

LOL! I would have suggested he bring a printer for a re-issue of camp rules adding his own.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azrving wrote:

Yosemite Sam

I think a topic on complaining about people that don’t know how to knock on doors would be better suited to some of us!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

07 Cherokee 32B Dexter EZ Flex
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 12:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

azrving wrote:

Yosemite Sam

I think a topic on complaining about people that don’t know how to knock on doors would be better suited to some of us!

It could be retitled, how to have your face blasted with a shotgun for being mistaken as a bear, lol.

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 02:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2gypsies wrote:

JAC1982 wrote:

When we first got our 5er (our second camper, previous was a bumper pull), we took it on a maiden voyage to a campground not too far from our house. Getting into the pull through spot was not an issue, but getting out sure was, because of some ill placed boulders and a tree. The older folks at the site next to us just sat there staring at us struggling (I literally used our dogs leashes to pull a tree branch down to try to avoid as much damage on the camper as possible). Then when I looked over at him he offered to help, but also laughed and said that was why he kept his old (which was a 1960s tiny bumper pull) trailer. I declined his assistance because I thought he was being a jerk.

So, maybe it was your approach. We are younger (mid 30s), and I've found many older RVers have a holier than thou attitude when talking to us, like we somehow are stupid because we are young.

And, as mentioned, that trip was a learning experience, as it was intended to be. We learned what kind of sites would work, and how to scope them out ahead of time to know what we could handle with our size trailer. We also purchased tree trimmers and put a taller step ladder in the trailer.

I can't see why the old guy offended you. He sat and watched at first as many of us of all ages would do because nowadays folks are afraid to intrude. Many people don't want to admit they need help. Then he offered his help and you refused. He laughed and said that's why he keeps his old RV. That had absolutely nothing against you. He was trying to help and then tried in include some humor.

It was the way/tone he offered the help. Just like this OP may have offered the help in a condescending way. Just saying, I know how it feels to be on that end of things, and it's not fun, and having someone approach you sounding "holier than thou" doesn't help matters.

2017 Keystone Impact 351
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5 Eco-Boost
2016 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Eco-Boost
2015 Polaris RZR 900S

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 02:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JAC1982 wrote:

2gypsies wrote:

JAC1982 wrote:

When we first got our 5er (our second camper, previous was a bumper pull), we took it on a maiden voyage to a campground not too far from our house. Getting into the pull through spot was not an issue, but getting out sure was, because of some ill placed boulders and a tree. The older folks at the site next to us just sat there staring at us struggling (I literally used our dogs leashes to pull a tree branch down to try to avoid as much damage on the camper as possible). Then when I looked over at him he offered to help, but also laughed and said that was why he kept his old (which was a 1960s tiny bumper pull) trailer. I declined his assistance because I thought he was being a jerk.

So, maybe it was your approach. We are younger (mid 30s), and I've found many older RVers have a holier than thou attitude when talking to us, like we somehow are stupid because we are young.

And, as mentioned, that trip was a learning experience, as it was intended to be. We learned what kind of sites would work, and how to scope them out ahead of time to know what we could handle with our size trailer. We also purchased tree trimmers and put a taller step ladder in the trailer.

I can't see why the old guy offended you. He sat and watched at first as many of us of all ages would do because nowadays folks are afraid to intrude. Many people don't want to admit they need help. Then he offered his help and you refused. He laughed and said that's why he keeps his old RV. That had absolutely nothing against you. He was trying to help and then tried in include some humor.

It was the way/tone he offered the help. Just like this OP may have offered the help in a condescending way. Just saying, I know how it feels to be on that end of things, and it's not fun, and having someone approach you sounding "holier than thou" doesn't help matters.

And when you're already stressed, it's hard to ignore a condescending attitude and feel grateful.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Perhaps one should practice a little.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS