Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Adhesive Removal for Decals/Graphics
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Adhesive Removal for Decals/Graphics

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
DreamComeTrue

Bandon, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live near the Pacific Ocean on the South Oregon Coast. I have a 2010 Cougar Fifth-wheel RV. Because of high winds and driving rain the decals/graphics and stripes on the Cougar have become tattered over the years. I used a heat gun to remove the decals/graphics over two days, but this heavy-duty adhesive is very difficult to remove. I have tried many adhesive (not glue) removers, and the only one that works that does not remove any of the finish is lacquer thinner. It is a tedious job, and I am wondering if anyone has a better idea. Goo Gone and Goof Off don't work at all. Acetone takes off the finish. The heat gun softens the adhesive, but it hardens again almost immediately, and scraping it while warm doesn't work either. I am guessing there are others who don't thank the Cougar makers for this series of RV's because of this adhesive and decals that are guaranteed to shred and peel. I see the newer models (and even the older models) have a totally different way to seal those decals/graphics. I would like to see manufacturers allow buyers to choose not to have any of the graphics.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thats what I have used along with a scraper or a single edge razor blade. Be very careful using a razor blade. You can easily gough the fiberglas.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
8 years OSP Camp Host
The Other Dallas

md_procouple

Parkville, Md.

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not just Cougars... We have a Montana, with the same problem, I also took the heat gun approach. and still have quite a bit of adhesive. One of the things I used was 3M adhesive removal along with the heat gun and plastic scraper. Still have a quite a bit to go. If and when I get it all gone, will "Replace with Painted on designs, a fellow camper did that and it looks good and it's more durable. Good Luck, and Happy Camping !!

Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
">

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try hot cooking oil.

George3037

Upstate NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lacquer thinner and WD40 have both worked for me removing decal adhesive. Both do remove any wax or polish you may have. Also works on black streaks.

Ed9824v

Agua Dulce, Calif. 70 mi N.E. of Los Angeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

there is a rubber wheel about 4 in in diameter that is specifically made to remove the decals. removes decal with the adhesive.
https://www.amazon.com/Remover-Stickers-Minutes-Wheel-toolkit/dp/B00VFACQRE/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1539289060&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=decal+remover+eraser+wheel&psc=1&smid=A2EZNOFZAZVR8

Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After removing my decals, some with heat gun and scraper and some with 3M Eraser wheel, I used 3M Adhesive Remover. I used a towel that I had prewetted with remover. Then I held the towel under a section of adhesive while I moved the can of remover across and above that section of adhesive letting the liquid "sheet" down over the adhesive and soak into the towel. Then I used the soaked towel to wipe away the adhesive. The adhesive remover basically melted the adhesive and it wiped off fairly easily. Key is having the towel thoroughly wet with remover.

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used mineral spirits to remove the adhesive after removing the decals with a heatgun and plastic scraper.

Just be careful around painted surfaces...the mineral spirits will remove the paint.

Wash and wax the siding afterwards....

I did end up with ghost images of the decals but no adhesive. The decals had been on for over 15 years.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Naptha is another good residue remover. Lacquer thinners works too.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

bpounds

Senile, er I mean

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, I don't think you can blame salt spray and wind for the graphics failure. Mine are doing the same thing, on the side that faces the sun. No salt and no wind here.

Second, I have not tackled this job yet, but when I do I'm going to try the Magic Eraser pads in a drill motor.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Adhesive Removal for Decals/Graphics
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS