Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Camping protocol
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camping protocol

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 02:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

What kind of generator?

I was going to ask but you beat me to it...

If it was a open frame noise maker I'd ask to shut it off too. and if it continued I'd wait for dark and trundle over there and pour in a cup full of pop in the gas tank. But never having camped in a campground with other campers, it was never an issue for us even though we run a quiet inverter unit.

Of course we don't have ac in the RV or at home. Never needed it.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 03:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

2oldman wrote:

What kind of generator?

I was going to ask but you beat me to it...

If it was a open frame noise maker I'd ask to shut it off too. and if it continued I'd wait for dark and trundle over there and pour in a cup full of pop in the gas tank. But never having camped in a campground with other campers, it was never an issue for us even though we run a quiet inverter unit.

Of course we don't have ac in the RV or at home. Never needed it.

I have a Champion dual fuel and set on propane and with noise dampening enclosure. And I did measure dB level for each set up before I even set camping. Read campground rules too.

And yes, you'll be going back with all your front teeth knocked out and maybe some broken bones should I see you attempting that on my generator or camper. And that camping ethics says you have to tell the host if your camping neighbor has violation in camping rules?

But let me guess...

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 03:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

My response would have been "I will do it because we are leaving anyway, but when we come back, the air is going back on. We are old and can't take the heat."

This is the way I would have handled it (at least I hope so!).

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have shut it off.

We were tent campers before kids. If it weren't for our own children, we would have never gone down the RV path (got our first RV when our oldest was 2)! I have a soft spot for families willing to go for it with little ones.

* This post was edited 10/11/18 04:06pm by camperdave *

New addition! 2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

old setup:
1998 Ford E350 extended van, V10, 3.73
1998 Fleetwood Terry 22lw

doxiemom11

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 04:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All babies don't sleep thru anything. It depends on what they are used to. If they are used to a quiet household where Mom is the only one around when they try to nap, then, yes, your generator could keep it from going to sleep, just like it would me. Most campgrounds we have been in have specific hours to run a generator. If your generator was loud even within the specified hours, I wouldn't want to listen to it for long periods of time. Was it possible for you to open windows and use a fan to be comfortable? I would shut off the generator to let baby sleep. I also don't want to listen to a cranky tired crying baby next door.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Babys will sleep through anything. We never attempted to be quiet for ours when they were babys. They were subjected to all kinds of noise.

I'd be more concerned with the type of genny, how long it was being run and, most of all, were others in the area using theirs in the same manner.

We were recently at a music festival. Hot weather & rally style camping so everyone was close. Everyone was considerate & kept genny run time to a minimum around meal times, even though gennys could be run from 8:00AM to 10:00PM. All that is, except one & this inconsiderate individual was right next door with 2 gennys in tandem running full blast to run the AC, even when they were not around.

Turns out that he was not an absolute newb but this was only his second festival. Pointing out that he was the ONLY one running the gennys for hours on end & everyone else was suffering with the heat had no effect. He did not want to move to the area, far away, for 24hour genny use either.

We have been to many music festivals, bluegrass, but never run into such a thoughtless person before.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

marcsbigfoot20b27

Phx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I will turn off my generator now, but at 2am can you please turn off your crying baby."

That would be my instant first thought, lol.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do agree the type of generator makes a difference. My ONAN with Gen-Turi purrs like a cat and is not disturbing to anyone. a honda 2000 at half load. Can't hardly hear it (1000 at half load I can not hear) A Contractor's generator you can hear half a mile away in the city.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

bpounds

Senile, er I mean

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 05:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure if you are exaggerating when you say he "told" me to turn it off. But I am sure that an approach like that would get him a single digit salute from yours truly.

On the other hand, a nice request might result in my moving the generator to the opposite side of the trailer. With a quality Honda generator, that would almost make it silent from his side at even a few yards away.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 06:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

My response would have been "I will do it because we are leaving anyway, but when we come back, the air is going back on. We are old and can't take the heat."

That’s a pretty bold statement to make without knowing;

- what kind of generator?

- how close the 2 RV’s were to each other.

- what the weather was? Cold and windows closed heat on? Hot and windows closed A/C on? Moderate temps, windows open, gender is just charging batteries?

As was stated previously, I sleep directly above my genset, no isssues, so what’s the OP’s genset?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camping protocol
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS