Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: no RV parking
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> no RV parking

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our street was completely redone this summer, parking slots were provided so no vehicles on the travelled roadway. Neighbor got a nastygram for parking his mh in one, apparently there is a four hour time limit for rv's. It is now parked in his yard but the tail hangs over city property, most of his lot is a steep hillside. Nobody has complained...yet.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 06:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Laws on property vary from place to place but in SOME areas the property line is the centerline of the road (in other places it is like the house side of the sidewalk or farther back even) IF the street is "your property" A good lawyer could likely have fun with that ordinance.. But since I'm not a lawyer that's all I can say (This is called stirring the pot. I'll leave now).
I actually do own to the middle of the road and the county is granted an easement 30 feet on either side of that center line. You cannot build on to the easement, you can't plant trees on the easement and there are probably thousands of other things you can't do.
Having a lawyer stir that pot would be more like kicking a hornet's nest. Counties, cities and states have unlimited access to attorneys. They are paid from tax revenues which mean you as a citizen are paying them to fight you. If you were to somehow prevail, they have the ability to use the law to attack you on thousands of other fronts. Very few people want to be put under the microscope by code enforcement officers looking under every rock for something out of place. I prefer to let sleeping dogs lie.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 07:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Novato is just trying to make room for another bank... (count all the financial institutions there sometime - they have more than most big cities).

Seriously, the police in Novato don't have a lot to do otherwise. I grew up there and they would ticket kids for riding double on bicycles.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 07:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

I darn sure made sure it was ok to park my DP next to my house before I bought.

Front of RV has to be even or behind front of house.

So did I. They changed the law.

New addition! 2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

old setup:
1998 Ford E350 extended van, V10, 3.73
1998 Fleetwood Terry 22lw

Gonzo42

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the same 1 night permit to buy here, too. Plus one can't buy ahead of time and must visit the police station every day.

MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

seaeagle2

seattle

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 08:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Seattle, there are areas that are full of people living in all manner of RV's. They've been gradually changing parking regs in some areas, so of turning a blind eye in some so called industrial areas...

2010 F 150 4.6 3V
2014 Chalet Takena 1860
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

bdpreece

Woodburn Oregon / Yuma Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 09:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We sold our house in Woodburn Oregon and one of the main reasons was that they are now enforcing a 2 day on street parking limit. The home owners association also would not let you park your RV on your property. So for now we are full timers.

Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pretty much standard law that has been imposed on many California Cities such as mine. You still have 72 hours,you can get 3 one day passes for your 72 consecutive hours and you can get 36 of these a year that is 108 days a year you can park in front of your house.

Here you just go on line get your permit,no paper in the window or anything,I do it if I need to put it out on the street.Never had anyone check on it,the only way they will if someone complains. I do it just in case something happens and the insurance company could say you were illegally parked.

I don't like it and we fought it in city hall and council meetings for more than 3 years, I see that it is only a year old and it was published in your papers for at least 5 days prior,it looks like no one there was watching your city council.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 10:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a friend whose city has never enforced their 72 hour rule in years. Then a neighbor decided to rent RVs. He parks two to four in front of his house and they block the corner so drivers can barely get through. So people started complaining and now they enforce the 72 hour rule.

Ski Pro 3

Placerville, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 10:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure your vehicle registration fees reflect a lower rate due to the restrictions, right? Right.

What if an RV from out of the area parked on the street? How could everyone possibly know all the unique laws such as that one? Who writes the ticket? Must be local police, not CHP? Register vehicle at another, out-of-area address.

2006 Dodge Ram 4x4 crew cab w/diesel and manual tranny.
2012 Lance 855S camper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> no RV parking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS