Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: no RV parking
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> no RV parking

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I grew up in Novato. As mentioned above, they are the red headed step child of Marin County. They really are more like Petaluma and Sonoma County outside of their desire to be "Marinites".

And really, next time you drive through, count the financial institutions in Novato.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 11:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HOA rules and seemingly stringent municipal RV parking regulations rub a lot of people the wrong way in this forum, but I'm glad they exist. Without some sort of restrictions, some neighborhoods would look like **** with all kinds of RVs and boats parked/stored in the streets or in front of homes.

As RVers, we must remember not everyone shares in our passion. Most people, and rightly so, view RVs as hulking eyesores. I'm currently living in a community with very restrictive HOA rules, including some rules that are petty and annoying at times. Driving through parts of town without HOAs makes me appreciate what I have.

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 11:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

And really, next time you drive through, count the financial institutions in Novato.

just don't try to go to one, cause it'll be illegal to park there lol.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 11:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camperdave wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

just don't try to go to one, cause it'll be illegal to park there lol.

Actually, if I read it right it's only public parking lots that require a permit. So I guess if the parking lot is owned by the bank, I can park there without a permit. [emoticon]

Either way, I have to reconsider visiting family there with my clipper...

shelbyfv

TN

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 12:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld wrote:

HOA rules and seemingly stringent municipal RV parking regulations rub a lot of people the wrong way in this forum, but I'm glad they exist. Without some sort of restrictions, some neighborhoods would look like **** with all kinds of RVs and boats parked/stored in the streets or in front of homes.

As RVers, we must remember not everyone shares in our passion. Most people, and rightly so, view RVs as hulking eyesores. I'm currently living in a community with very restrictive HOA rules, including some rules that are petty and annoying at times. Driving through parts of town without HOAs makes me appreciate what I have.
+100

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 12:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld wrote:

Not sure why some areas of the country needs HOAs to keep them looking nice. We have no HOA, and I would say at least 1/4 of the households have a boat, rv, or trailer of some sort. None of them, none, park their stuff on the road. It's always on the side of the house.

This is typical of all the neighborhoods we looked in when buying this house.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me, when looking at a neighborhood to move in to, I would see a bunch of RVs and boats and such as a positive - means that the folks there are out doing things instead of spying on their neighbors...

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 02:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm the President of my HOA (specifically to make sure it doesn't overreach when it comes to rules), and even though our rules about RV parking are pretty lenient for the area (we just require that it be parked behind the fence, not in the driveway, and we are all on 1 acre+ so everyone's got the space), there's still so many people that think the rules don't apply to them. Our #1 violation is people who insist on parking their stuff in the driveway... and no not just for a day or two, but permanently. It's pretty darn frustrating because all we're trying to do is keep the neighborhood looking nice to keep our property values up. Most of the surrounding neighborhoods require RVs etc to be inside a garage/building.

2017 Keystone Impact 351
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5 Eco-Boost
2016 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Eco-Boost
2015 Polaris RZR 900S

azrving

Quartzsite

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JAC1982 wrote:

I'm the President of my HOA (specifically to make sure it doesn't overreach when it comes to rules), and even though our rules about RV parking are pretty lenient for the area (we just require that it be parked behind the fence, not in the driveway, and we are all on 1 acre+ so everyone's got the space), there's still so many people that think the rules don't apply to them. Our #1 violation is people who insist on parking their stuff in the driveway... and no not just for a day or two, but permanently. It's pretty darn frustrating because all we're trying to do is keep the neighborhood looking nice to keep our property values up. Most of the surrounding neighborhoods require RVs etc to be inside a garage/building.

Those are the people who grew up getting time out vs some of us who grew up with a somewhat more convincing way of learning. I've been in an HOA and signed papers that acknowledged that we signed papers agreeing to the rules. Some don't think they have to comply after signing. They are special, mom said so over and over.

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 02:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azrving wrote:

JAC1982 wrote:

Those are the people who grew up getting time out vs some of us who grew up with a somewhat more convincing way of learning. I've been in an HOA and signed papers that acknowledged that we signed papers agreeing to the rules. Some don't think they have to comply after signing. They are special, mom said so over and over.

What's sad is, it's mostly older people! And the neighborhood is only a few years old with all the rules posted on a website in addition to them signing something they received them, but still... we get the "Oh I didn't know" or "that rule is dumb so I don't have to follow it" so many times.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> no RV parking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS