Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Anyone knowledgeable about fifth wheel construction?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Anyone knowledgeable about fifth wheel construction?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
howardwheeler

West, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An additional clue: when I checked the front running lights, I pulled the whole socket out. Behind it where the wires come through is two layers of at least 3/4” plywood or rigid OSB. Then behind that is what appears to be the back side of the frame because it is a hole in metal. That’s where the wires come through. Also in looking at the exposed frame up where it holds the pin box frame, between the 2x6 metal rails that connect to the main body there is underneath that a thin, maybe 1/8” piece of flat stock that was once tack welded to the 2x6 frame. It is loose but does not appear to have been connected to anything else. That at least 1 1/2 of wood behind the fiberglass exterior has me wondering if that is not supposed to be screwed into the frame from the side. I don’t know why all that wood is there on the front side wall. It’s not the way back in the living room area, I’m pretty sure.

Dayle1

Spicewood, Tx

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On some units, there is angle steel welded along the outside edge of the upper box steel frame. The bedroom wall sits on this ledge. Then there will be vertical screws thru the ledge and into the bottom edge of the wall. In other cases, the ledge is just a means of placing the wall and carriage bolts are installed horizontally thru the side wall and thru the box steel. If hung wall construction was used, then those bolt heads will be hidden under the fiberglass skin, but the nut should be visible on the backside of the box frame. I had such a unit that needed frame stiffening and with the front cap removed an extra carriage bolt was added thru the skin, but was then hidden once the front cap was re-installed. The carriage bolts were not crowned but an oversized flat head. It is also possible that horizontal carriage bolts were used but minus the angle steel ledge. And again they could be under the fiberglass skin.

Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

howardwheeler

West, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you very much for the information. I’m going to tear into it to see where it’s broken.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/18 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This may not be of any help, it’s from an older (‘95) Teton brochure. And, of course, your design may be very different. Our newer brochures, did not give as detailed frame picture.

[image]

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Anyone knowledgeable about fifth wheel construction?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS