Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Time saved/lost versus using motels
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Time saved/lost versus using motels

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
livemusic

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those of you who RV a lot... in another thread people said that the freedom of RVing is a major plus, it's convenient to not have to load in/out, various other pluses... wondering... say you are going to be traveling around the country and deciding whether to RV or just get motel rooms. Can someone discuss if it's easier to get a motel room versus having to find a place to 'camp' for the night, be it a Walmart, state park or RV park. So, I guess it's looking at the time from arriving at a certain city/town to being ready to bed down. Or I could just ask is it easier to find a motel room or find a place to park your RV.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Off the top it would be easier to find a motel room plus they probably have `free' breakfast. Don't even factor in the cost of the RV and tow vehicle that does not exist with motels.
On the down side we find it much more convenient to have all of the things we need for the day in the same place as yesterday; clothes, food, shower, beer, etc. and we know who has been using the bed. in addition to our bicycles that travel everywhere with us. On the road the toilet is in the same place and we know who has been using it.
My summary of RVing can be summed up in the word `convenience' rather than `freedom'.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

evanrem

WI

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Motel room, there are way more motels than campgrounds. If you RV its not really about that though. It's about having all your stuff to cook, eat, shower,sleep and all the other comforts of home. Plus the ability to get out in nature to some places that dont have hotels.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a bona fide RV travel lover of the lifestyle, finding the RV spot to park for the night is easier and healthier. Just like a hotel/motel room, you plan in advance where you're going to spend the night. But, once you get there, it's all ready for you - your own bed and sheets, your own lavatory, your own kitchen, living room, and all other amenities. No packing, unpacking, wondering if the bed is clean, if towels are clean, if toilet is clean, etc. Plus, your own food is healthier. Let's face it, trying to rationalize motel vs RV ultimately comes down to preference and lifestyle. RV'ing is a lifestyle, there is no rationalizing the expenses spent or saved because it's what you like.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 SD CC DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat, Hensley BD3 with Ford Under-Bed Adaptor
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, and Missy in spirit), Maggie, and Mica!

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Motels are easier and faster....and overall could be less expensive if you do ALL the math of owning an RV.

RVing for most is a passion, a hobby, an adventure. There are positive and negatives involved in both RVing and motel-ing.

Sometimes we do motels, mostly we RV. Depends on where we are going and what we will be doing.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, definitely an RV is going to cost you more in the long run. It's literally a life-time investment in pure recreation. A motel is a one-time expense and you are done with it. Considering the cost factor only, RV's are not practical. They just aren't. Very expensive in the long run.

However, motel vs RV??? We've done both over the years and this is our preference.

If weather is permitting, no matter where we go, we take the camper and use it for even a single overnight.

If weather is freezing and snowy and our destination is freezing and snowy too, then a motel makes better sense. Once a camper is winterized, you are limited to the ways you can then use it.

So, for example, in the middle of the Winter (like we did last January), we went to a motel for 2 days, actually Eisenhause (Middlebury, Indiana), because there simply are no campgrounds open this time of year.

As far as prepping, arriving, and reaching the point where you hit the bed, I think the time factor is probably about the same.

Assuming you boondock at a Wall Mart, hitting the bed can be done as soon as you turn your engine off.

If you make reservations for a campsite, you'll want to check web sites and maps to make sure your spot is suitable for you wants and needs (trailer length and obstacles getting into the camp site.) So, actually, to settle on a campsite vs settling on a motel room, I think it takes a little more planning and thought into the campsite.

Now, you arrive. With both you have to register (equal time for both). Now you get your assigned campsite number, or the key to your motel room.

You now have to set up your camper. Unhitch (if a towable), jacks down, plug into shore power, maybe attach water, and you're ready for bed.

Motel? You have to go check the room, then drag all your luggage to the room. And if you forget something, you have to constantly go back to your vehicle to get it. Not to mention something you might have forgotten completely, like a tooth brush or your deodorant. So now you have to make a quick trip to the closest Walmart or grocery store.

With an RV, you already have everything there. Just go to bed.

I think the RV is more time efficient. If you already own an RV, it only makes sense to use it, opposed to letting it sit in the drive way and then you have to spend even more money on a motel room.

This is just my opinion from my personal experiences. Someone else may have different views. And that's perfectly OK.

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually

2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 even older folks now, but still lots of love!

The new Montana is now officially, "The Love Shack 2"

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do a search on the internet for any town or city. Look up "hotel", "motel", RV Park" and "campground". You will find more options for hotels and motels by far. Staying at Walmarts, etc., is dependent upon the laws of the town - many have banned overnight parking in parking lots, on the streets, etc.

Hotels and Motels are usually centered around the tourist or business section of towns, whereas RV Parks and campgrounds are usually on the outskirts.

So for ease of a place to stay, the hotel/motel route wins.

It's all the other things that will decide whether an RV makes sense to you. Do you prefer to eat out; do you mind sleeping in a different bed each night; are you OK with a drive to get to the tourist areas; and so on.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bed bugs.

Mike.
2018 Navion 24V "Goldilocks" 2016 JKU "Red" (sold @ ???)
2016 Sunstar 26HE (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We traveled constantly and never found it difficult to find a spot for the night. It depends if you need the best amenities for an overnight. All we want to do is sleep so the best isn't necessary. If you need the best then pull in before 3pm not when everyone else is pulling off the road at 7pm... or make reservations. We didn't do reservations. I'd rather sleep in my own bed and not have to pack and re-pack a suitcase. For us, it would be way cheaper to RV.

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

185EZ

Lake Havasu City, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

Bed bugs.

BOOM!
Even having to stay at high end resorts gives me the creeps knowing someone else's hair gel or drool was on that pillow let alone something worse.
We even got rid of the mattress in the rv when we bought it.
I'll take my own bed any day even if it costs me twice as much as a motel and i don't get a free breakfast

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Time saved/lost versus using motels
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS