Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Time saved/lost versus using motels
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Time saved/lost versus using motels

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For one nighters, it's never taken us more than two phone calls at most during peak seasons to find a spot in private or state parks. Walmart and other large parking lots can be hit or miss due to local ordinances and/or other conditions, although there are various apps and lists that can be useful for that. In non-peak seasons, it's never been any problem at all to find an overnight spot in a park, often not even needing a phone call first.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

livemusic wrote:

Those of you who RV a lot... in another thread people said that the freedom of RVing is a major plus, it's convenient to not have to load in/out, various other pluses... wondering... say you are going to be traveling around the country and deciding whether to RV or just get motel rooms. Can someone discuss if it's easier to get a motel room versus having to find a place to 'camp' for the night, be it a Walmart, state park or RV park. So, I guess it's looking at the time from arriving at a certain city/town to being ready to bed down. Or I could just ask is it easier to find a motel room or find a place to park your RV.

finding a motel...a NICE motel...is no more difficult than finding a nice place to overnight. so that's a wash.

we've been married for 49-years (as of march) but didn't start the RV thing until 32-years ago. before that all of our vacations were in motels. I can tell you that RVing...with all of the hassles and expenses involved in that...is a much more relaxing and enjoyable experience. there has been the rare occasion in the last 32-years where we've stayed in a motel rather than take the MH and while we select nice places to stay that are clean and safe none of them come close in comparison to the comfort of our MH.

our style of RVing has also changed over the past 32-years. in the beginning we'd take turns driving 10-12 hrs per day. we were both working and had to boogy out and back in order to enjoy the little time we had. lots of weekends semi-dry camping (maybe an electric hookup, maybe not) in county, state and national parks. lots of campfires, hiking, biking, etc. we didn't have a toad for the first 17-years. mostly 1-2 nights here and there. we were camping.

over the years my wife has developed mobility issues and my left knee is a chronic complainer; we're both old-er (not old, not just yet). so these days we look for a FHU park after a 4-hr [u[driving day (I do all the driving). don't need pools, spas, game rooms, etc. (although I do like to shoot pool) but we do want the FHUs. more often than not we're in a park for at least several days to a month at a time. the 1-nighters still exist but not for more than 2-nights in a row. we use the toad for day trips or just hang around the park relaxing. I still like to walk or take short hikes (when my knee feels like cooperating). we're no longer camping...we're traveling.

motels have their place but we still prefer the RV.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's a short trip to a wedding or funeral we just hop a flight, overnight in a hotel and come on home.

All other trips are in the motorhome for the same reasons others have mentioned:
No problem finding a clean and safe place to park for one night or several.
No problems with bedbugs and pillows: we have our own.
We know the food is always healthy and no one with the flu has been preparing it.
The pets can go with us with no problem.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Let's keep rolling!
Magnus

Draggo

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like to say that I just tow my motel behind me.

But seriously, we camp because we like to camp and when it's appropriate we will stay in a hotel. It all depends on the overall plans. I'd prefer to use the TT for several of the reasons mentioned above and don't feel it really takes much more time to get the TT stopped and set up compared to finding a hotel and getting settled. But if it's a long trip and time is short I'd rather hotel it because I can travel faster without the trailer.

Mike & Company
2012 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab (5.3L V-8, 3.42 rear gear)
2018 Coachmen Freedom Express 279RLDS
Reese W/D & HP DC, Prodigy brake controller

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magnusfide wrote:

If it's a short trip to a wedding or funeral we just hop a flight, overnight in a hotel and come on home.

All other trips are in the motorhome for the same reasons others have mentioned:
We know the food is always healthy and no one with the flu has been preparing it.

Yeesh, how could I have forgotten about our dogs! Yes! The two times in the last two years that we went away for the weekend to a hotel, we had to make arrangements for family to come in and take care of the pets.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 SD CC DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat, Hensley BD3 with Ford Under-Bed Adaptor
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, and Missy in spirit), Maggie, and Mica!

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG wrote:

magnusfide wrote:

Yeesh, how could I have forgotten about our dogs! Yes! The two times in the last two years that we went away for the weekend to a hotel, we had to make arrangements for family to come in and take care of the pets.

when we take off for AZ in the winter our first night is usually in a motel. we have an app that (AllStays Truck & Travel) that shows us pet-friendly motels & hotels.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

downtheroad wrote:

Motels are easier and faster....and overall could be less expensive if you do ALL the math of owning an RV.

RVing for most is a passion, a hobby, an adventure. There are positive and negatives involved in both RVing and motel-ing.

Sometimes we do motels, mostly we RV. Depends on where we are going and what we will be doing.

^^^^Best Answer^^^^

Hotels/motels are by far easier and quicker to find and to get into. Pull into a hotel and 5 minutes later you are in a room. And in the many places we have stayed at all price levels we have never found a bed bug. Or any of our family or friends have either for that matter. And we always look carefully before unpacking.

But RVing definitely has its place. Depending on where we are going and for how long, we decide which way to go.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG wrote:

As a bona fide RV travel lover of the lifestyle, finding the RV spot to park for the night is easier and healthier. Just like a hotel/motel room, you plan in advance where you're going to spend the night. But, once you get there, it's all ready for you - your own bed and sheets, your own lavatory, your own kitchen, living room, and all other amenities. No packing, unpacking, wondering if the bed is clean, if towels are clean, if toilet is clean, etc. Plus, your own food is healthier. Let's face it, trying to rationalize motel vs RV ultimately comes down to preference and lifestyle. RV'ing is a lifestyle, there is no rationalizing the expenses spent or saved because it's what you like.
Excellent post - couldn't have said it better.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are places you cannot use the RV and there are places where there are no hotels. Taking the RV to Hawaii would be problematic. Finding a hotel sitting on the side a favorite fishing stream atop the Bighorn Mountains doesn't happen. I have seen instances where there are open RV sites and all the hotels are sold out and I have seen the opposite. There is no one size fits all answer.

Campinfan

Washtenaw County, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why do I prefer my trailer to a hotel room? I used to process crime scenes in my past life... . Forensic lights bring out a lot of things you cannot see.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Time saved/lost versus using motels
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS