Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: 2019 Gas or Diesel ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> 2019 Gas or Diesel ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
LoveTheWest

western US.

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/18 11:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was wondering how the 2019 Ford diesel stacks up.

OR... should I stick with a gas engine.
My driving will be about 50/50 city driving / out in the country driving.

Thanks for your comments.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/18 02:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gas or Diesel

Gas vs. Diesel

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/18 03:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LoveTheWest wrote:

I was wondering how the 2019 Ford diesel stacks up.

OR... should I stick with a gas engine.

LOL, Now look what you have done!

Do the math.

Diesel is roughly a $9K option.
Diesel is $0.54 more per gallon US average, more in some states like here in PA @ $0.64 more per gallon.

A prediction. People on these boards who have diesel will say "get a diesel", people with a gasser will say "get a gasser".

The thread will descend into chaos in short order and most likely be locked down LOL.

2015 GMC 2500HD SLE Z71 DCLB It's got a cop motor, a three hundred and sixty six cubic inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas.

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/18 03:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on the job which tool you’ll want. Towing light and running around town, gas. Heavy towing, diesel. I’ve had both gas and diesel towing TT and 5th wheel. I now have a diesel 3500 and use it for every day driving too. Love it

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/18 04:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you talking about the 1/2 ton diesel?

Assuming the tow/haul ratings are good, it's basically a calculation of miles driven vs MPG:

- What is the up front cost to buy the diesel vs the gas?
- How many miles do you drive per year?
- Take the miles driven and divide by the MPG for each engine type then multiply by the cost per gallon to get the annual fuel cost for each engine type.
- Now it's easy to estimate how many years it will take to recoup the up front cost of the diesel.
- At this point, it's probably too early to know if there will be any impact on resale value.

Personally, I would give it a year or two before buying a new engine design, so they can work out the kinks.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

janstey58

Glenwood, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/18 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ralph Cramden wrote:

A prediction. People on these boards who have diesel will say "get a diesel", people with a gasser will say "get a gasser".

I have another prediction, someone is going to say Ralph missed a few things, like longevity and dependability of a diesel. Paint the whole picture, sure $$$ is a part of it.

Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

LoveTheWest

western US.

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/18 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh I am so sorry. I didnt mean for this to decend into chaos. lol

I would not be towing anything. My driving would be about 50/50 city /highway.
I wanted to get a Cargo Van and a friend of mine who does van conversions will make it into a camper.

The one thing I would like about diesel is the longevity of the engine. But I am not sure about the extra cost. I have heard people say that in the end the choice between gas and diesel all comes out equal with the cost of fuel and the up front costs of a diesel engine etc.

i certainly dont mean to cause a ruckus here. If you would give me a link to any past discussions I can have a look there.

I remember hearing about the Ford diesel several years ago that the engine was not that great. SO I just wondered if the 2019 was any better.

Thanks for your responses.

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/18 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always thought that buying a diesel for my big TT because my 6.0 is getting a little old. don't have a lot of miles on it and that along with info here on the forum about the filters clogging up on the diesels and the need to run the diesel once a week at least long enough to get it good and hot to clean up the filters. well heck, I don't drive my truck that much. my truck is a 02 with 80K miles on it. it would not benefit me to buy a diesel now that this has been brought to my attention

Oldmaple

West Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/18 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford diesels starting with the 7.3L - good engine but the trucks that they are in are getting a little old. The 6.0L is an OK engine after you have one "bulletproofed" at a cost of $5,000 to $7,000. The 6.4 is unrepairable. The current 6.7 has had good reviews after the first year it was out (although those repairs were under Fords warranty) so the same problems have not shown up in the later model years of the engine

LoveTheWest

western US.

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/18 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. Interesting links.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> 2019 Gas or Diesel ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS