Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: 2019 Gas or Diesel ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> 2019 Gas or Diesel ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ernie1

Sacramento,California,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/18 09:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a diesel motorhome and is my first. It's on a Mercedes Sprinter and I bought it new. If I had to do it over again I would stick to a gas engine rv. Why? Well no one mentioned that the newer diesel rvs with a sprinter chassis which is very common today, has a host of emissions related issues to deal with. For starters the def fuel is a pain to deal with and very messy. I use about 1 gal of def/thousand miles and one needs to be aware of where def is available when the dreaded reminder appears on the dash. Then there's the cost of diesel which in California is about $4+/gallon. That's about $.25 more/gallon than gas. Then there's the lessor availability of diesel where occasionally one has to wander about town looking for a station that carries it. Also it's very difficult to fill your diesel tank without spilling and dripping it all over. That's why some stations offer plastic gloves to customers. On a recent very long trip I had diesel pumps not stop running when the tank was full and dumped diesel all over me and the vehicle. this happened 4 times. I've only had that happen to me once ever when filling up with gasoline. One of the worst part of dealing with this Sprinter is the turbo lag which is severe enough to make it dangerous when merging into traffic because there's this pause when stepping on the accelerator with a total lack of power for about 3 seconds before the engine catches up. What a joke! Never again!

LoveTheWest

western US.

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/18 01:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ernie1 wrote:

I have a diesel motorhome and is my first. It's on a Mercedes Sprinter and I bought it new. If I had to do it over again I would stick to a gas engine rv. Why? Well no one mentioned that the newer diesel rvs with a sprinter chassis which is very common today, has a host of emissions related issues to deal with. For starters the def fuel is a pain to deal with and very messy. I use about 1 gal of def/thousand miles and one needs to be aware of where def is available when the dreaded reminder appears on the dash. Then there's the cost of diesel which in California is about $4+/gallon. That's about $.25 more/gallon than gas. Then there's the lessor availability of diesel where occasionally one has to wander about town looking for a station that carries it. Also it's very difficult to fill your diesel tank without spilling and dripping it all over. That's why some stations offer plastic gloves to customers. On a recent very long trip I had diesel pumps not stop running when the tank was full and dumped diesel all over me and the vehicle. this happened 4 times. I've only had that happen to me once ever when filling up with gasoline. One of the worst part of dealing with this Sprinter is the turbo lag which is severe enough to make it dangerous when merging into traffic because there's this pause when stepping on the accelerator with a total lack of power for about 3 seconds before the engine catches up. What a joke! Never again!

WOW ! Thanks for your post. I am sorry to hear about your troubles with the diesel but that is the kind of thing I am looking to hear about from folks that own a van with a diesel engine.

And that business about the pump not shutting off. Thats really nasty.
that is some real bad luck.
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/18 02:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LoveTheWest wrote:

Oh I am so sorry. I didnt mean for this to decend into chaos. lol

I would not be towing anything. My driving would be about 50/50 city /highway.
I wanted to get a Cargo Van and a friend of mine who does van conversions will make it into a camper.

The one thing I would like about diesel is the longevity of the engine. But I am not sure about the extra cost. I have heard people say that in the end the choice between gas and diesel all comes out equal with the cost of fuel and the up front costs of a diesel engine etc.

i certainly dont mean to cause a ruckus here. If you would give me a link to any past discussions I can have a look there.

I remember hearing about the Ford diesel several years ago that the engine was not that great. SO I just wondered if the 2019 was any better.

Thanks for your responses.

No problems, ask away, if someone is offended, they can always ignore the thread.

I wouldn't count on any significant longevity benefit. Reality is your average modern gas engine will outlast the truck. Plus new diesels have lots of complex electronics and are pushed much harder than the old big slow turning diesels of 40-50yrs ago....but the myth of longevity has held on.

You still haven't told us what model you are looking at.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/18 02:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

I wouldn't count on any significant longevity benefit. Reality is your average modern gas engine will outlast the truck. Plus new diesels have lots of complex electronics and are pushed much harder than the old big slow turning diesels of 40-50yrs ago....but the myth of longevity has held on.

Yes it has. We have a 15 F450 6.7 135K thats now at the 3rd different Ford dealer in 5 weeks for throwing a bunch of emmisions codes and going into limp, or just shutting down. The first two dealers were clueless. This one has a rep from Ford coming in from MI this week to figure it out. I say wiring harness or ECM, possibly BCM so maybe not diesel specific per se. Had my scanner hooked up and when I opened the passenger door it erased all the codes lol. Longevity lol.

Somewhere around town is a 00 Silverado I sold in 13 at 260+K miles. Still being driven and I know for a fact the only thing ever done to the 5.3 gas engine was a water pump and a few coil packs, plugs and wires. That's called longevity.

2015 GMC 2500HD SLE Z71 DCLB It's got a cop motor, a three hundred and sixty six cubic inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas.

LoveTheWest

western US.

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/18 04:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not sure exactly what I am considering buying. I am looking at everything right now.
All i know is the time has come to look into buying a van for camping.
I want it make it comfortable and airy inside.

And Ralph ! thats a great post about the 00 Silverado ! Point taken ! HAHAHA !

janstey58

Glenwood, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/18 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They will never get 1Million miles out of a gas Silverado though. And related to fueling, you learn how to do it correctly so you don't have spills. And the DEF, no biggie, we top it off twice a year with jugs from Wal-Mart. No emissions smells or bad stuff coming out of the tailpipe. That is a big plus on any engine for me and the environment!! I'll never go back to gas.

* This post was edited 10/31/18 01:46pm by janstey58 *

Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/18 12:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

janstey58 wrote:

They will never get 1Million miles out of a gas Silverado though. I'll never go back to gas.

And you'll never get a million miles out of a diesel Silverado either, or a Ram or a Ford. If you do by that point you will have spent so much on maintainence and replacing parts you could of purchased two new ones. How do you even do that? Drive 275 miles (4 hrs+) 7/365 for 10 years lol.

These boards are awesome.

BTW, how many years does it take to put a million miles on a diesel pickup if you only have to "top off" the DEF twice a year?

* This post was edited 11/01/18 12:55am by Ralph Cramden *

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/18 12:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

janstey58 wrote:

They will never get 1Million miles out of a gas Silverado though.

Can you point us to data suggesting even 5% of diesel silverado's make a million miles?

Typical annual mileage is around 12k/yr. Most trucks age out around 20yrs...that puts them around 240k miles which most gas engines will do.

LoveTheWest

western US.

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/18 03:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SO let me ask you guys this. If you have a gas engine and you do run it up high miles -
what might the cost be to replace the engine ?

if you want to keep the rig you buy then you have to put in a new engine.
what are the costs that go with it as well ?

thanks

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/18 04:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LoveTheWest wrote:

SO let me ask you guys this. If you have a gas engine and you do run it up high miles -
what might the cost be to replace the engine ?

if you want to keep the rig you buy then you have to put in a new engine.
what are the costs that go with it as well ?

thanks

A loaded question? That would depend if you mean a complete drop in new engine, a long block, or something used from the salvage yard, lots of variables.

I've had quite a few pickups both diesel and gas of GM and Ford flavor, and racked up quite a few miles on all of them. Having the engine check out was never a factor on either. IMO the statements about a diesel outlasting a gasser in the engine department are nothing more than the buyer justifying the extra $8K to $9K they spent on the front end. What's ironic is if and when they ever get to the mythical back end, after driving the million miles it takes to get over to Fantasy Island, the rest of the truck is certainly toast. Especially so if driven in the real world anywhere north of TN.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> 2019 Gas or Diesel ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS