Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: 2019 Gas or Diesel ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> 2019 Gas or Diesel ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/18 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Supercharged wrote:

Remember if you get a diesel you will have to get new carpet every season, the smell never go away. When you fuel up you will stand in diesel up to your knees. You need ear plugs to drive it.
They break done 3 times as much. Parts close twice as much. When you go to get them fixed you don' t go to and nice clear waiting room, you might have to set on a old dirty truck tire itf your lucky. And the smoke is so bad the niegbor won't speeh to you ever again.
Other then that there not much to say.

In all fairness: I HATE diesels. Despise the smell. Loathe the exhaust. Then Ed bought a 2013 F-350 with the DEF system. Nobody was more surprised than me, that it smelled fine both inside and out - I could actually stand next to a running (quietly I might add) diesel and not want to barf. This held true for the Silverado 2500 that came next; and the Ram that came after that. Here in Michigan's icebox, they started immediately. No smoke. No prolonged idling. I really LIKED those trucks :-)

But they're still not as much fun as the 3.5 Ecoboost....>LOL!

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/18 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the "Ecoboost" in our Ford Explorer and it is one seriously powerful engine! The turbo in our Sprinter isn't quite the rocket as the Explorer, but it does have a tad more weight to move.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

fullmoonoversalem

Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/06/18 11:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

ernie1 wrote:

One of the worst part of dealing with this Sprinter is the turbo lag which is severe enough to make it dangerous when merging into traffic because there's this pause when stepping on the accelerator with a total lack of power for about 3 seconds before the engine catches up. What a joke! Never again!

I have driven all 3 major brands of trucks in diesel and gas - the newer DEF-additive based diesel motors seemed very nice and insanely powerful. Even though I'm not really a fan of Ram, my Hemi-powered 1/2 ton truck was fun ;-)

However - right now, I have a Transit T-250 (homemade converted cargo) with the 3.5 Ecoboost (gas) motor: the thing is a rocketship!! I call it my "9-foot tall Ferrari" - when you touch the gas, the van jumps. Even pulling a tow dolly with my daughter's Prius through the mountains, it had ample power climbing steep hills (and perfectly-controlled manners going back down). I love the thing - it's truly a pleasure to drive. You owe it to yourself to test-drive one ;-)

One of our campers had that problem. They said that it was a problem with “injectors?”

2007 Damon Challenger
2005 Saturn Ion

Moli, our sweet Lab Mix
Gus, our insane, sweet Cat

LoveTheWest

western US.

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/18 11:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

ernie1 wrote:

One of the worst part of dealing with this Sprinter is the turbo lag which is severe enough to make it dangerous when merging into traffic because there's this pause when stepping on the accelerator with a total lack of power for about 3 seconds before the engine catches up. What a joke! Never again!

I have driven all 3 major brands of trucks in diesel and gas - the newer DEF-additive based diesel motors seemed very nice and insanely powerful. Even though I'm not really a fan of Ram, my Hemi-powered 1/2 ton truck was fun ;-)

However - right now, I have a Transit T-250 (homemade converted cargo) with the 3.5 Ecoboost (gas) motor: the thing is a rocketship!! I call it my "9-foot tall Ferrari" - when you touch the gas, the van jumps. Even pulling a tow dolly with my daughter's Prius through the mountains, it had ample power climbing steep hills (and perfectly-controlled manners going back down). I love the thing - it's truly a pleasure to drive. You owe it to yourself to test-drive one ;-)

Thanks for telling me about the ecoboost. I will definitely look into it.

you know... I have always loved diesel. I use to own an old 1985 Mercedes turbo diesel. I had that car for 9 years and loved it. I like the sound of it, I didnt mind the smell of it.
it was fun to drive when the turbo kicked in,

but -- I am one who is never in a hurry to get anywhere so if there was ever any hesitation I didnt care. I am the kind of driver that really waits to merge with traffic when there is a good opening I feel comfortable with.

What kind of gas mileage do you get with the ecoboost?

LoveTheWest

western US.

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/18 11:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wr1032 wrote:

I do not own a diesel, but I seen this on the internet a number of years ago.
https://www.google.com/search?lei=rVXgW6aFBZL_zgL0vpHgBA&q=6.7%20powerstroke%20cab%20removal&ved=0ahUKEwjTtbCbvb3eAhXnc98KHTQUAzcQsKwBCBIoAA&biw=1082&bih=458

Bill that link didn't produce anything. Maybe it's my computer.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/18 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LoveTheWest wrote:

What kind of gas mileage do you get with the ecoboost?

We seem to get 17.6 mpg no matter what. Climbing mountains, doing 80+ mph in Montana.....

We got 14+ pulling my daughter's car home on a dolly (included mountain driving)

My caveat: we have a "naked roof" - the only thing protruding is the low-profile Maxx-Air fan lid. No big safari rack, awning, or solar array - IMO, those can really cut down the mpgs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> 2019 Gas or Diesel ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS