Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Dometic or residential refrigerator?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Dometic or residential refrigerator?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
huntdooly

Southeast

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/18 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am seeing a lot of newer coaches with residential style fridges that run on an inverter. I assume that they cannot run on propane.

Are these or the Dometic 4-door fridges that run on propane/electricity better for boondocking? And overall, in general?

Thanks for your help in advance!

tragusa3

upstate south carolina

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/18 04:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know very little, but will tell you why I chose an 8cf Dometic.

1. We are without power about half the time.

2 Gone with the Wynns has a video that he measured the amp hours used by a residential fridge. His would eat through 200 amp hours of battery in 6 hours. I wasn't interested in the expensive solar and batteries necessary to support this.

3. There is higher than typical negative comments about the 4 door, 12cf Dometic. It has the same cooling power as the smaller models and just can't seem to keep up with 12cf.

New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Rollin'Ragu' YouTube Channel

doc brown

Redondo Beach, CA,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/18 04:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ll throw in my two cents. I had Norcold not Dometic and replaced it with a residential about 4 years after I purchased my new coach. I boondock quite often and I did install 400 watts of solar, added two batteries to my existing four batteries, installed an automatic gen start and upgraded my inverter from msw to psw. All that cost around $4000, I did all the installations. Glad I did it because my fridge has larger capacity, it gets cold within 2 hrs and it’s dependable. The Norcold was ****.

Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/18 04:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dometic also makes an AC/DC compressor fridge that doesn't use propane. We got one in the store in the spring and ran it off a fully charged group 24 marine/RV battery for 40 hours. Draws about 8 ah. Fits in the hole where most of the 8 cu. ft. models go.

Clicky

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/18 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The pluses and minuses.

Residential refrigerators do a better job of maintaining temperature in hot weather. An ice maker is a realistic option !

RV refrigerators give you the freedom to camp without electricity. If you frequently camp without electric hookup, residential refrigerator are probably NOT for you. You would likely need FOUR 6V golf cart batteries and a large solar set up or be willing to run a generator several hours per day.

Obviously a good quality pure sine wave inverter is required.

When driving, a simple parallel battery charging setup should run the inverter but it will NOT recharge your battery bank.

filrupmark

Richmond,Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/18 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am in the residential upgrade process replacing our 8 cuft Dometic rite know. I installed a 9.9 Cu.Ft. Frigidaire last weekend. We generally have hookups but I have the Honda twins if needed.
Our Dometic just didn't have enough horsepower in the Texas heat. Of course DW keeps it overloaded. Hopefully we will have ice cream instead of shakes. Solar next.

2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/18 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had both, and without a doubt, an absorption (propane) type is more efficient. It's slow to get going, but once it does, it sips propane and can run for weeks. Ideal for boondocking.

That said, our new RV has a 22 cu ft residential style fridge. Only works on 120VAC. This vehicle has 4 house batteries, and a 2000W inverter. It can run the fridge up to 2 days, provided not much else is drawing battery power. Takes about 2 hours to cool down, has an ice maker, and a water/ice dispenser built into a door.

There's a 5500W Onan generator onboard. If we are driving, the batteries are charging, and the inverter runs the fridge. If we are parked at a rest stop, we generally have the generator running, which also runs the fridge.

Since we don't really boondock in Florida due to the heat most of the year, not having an absorption style fridge is no impact. And having this much fridge/freezer space is AMAZING.

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

scbwr

North Ridgeville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/18 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're not full timers and don't have any problems staying with our propane/electric fridge. During the time we owned two travel trailers, we've never had a problem with Dometic refrigerators. So far, the Norcold in our Newmar is working well.

But, for full timers, it makes a lot of sense to have the benefits of a residential fridge. And, I tend to think most full timers aren't boondocking very often.

2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/18 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2manytoyz wrote:

I've had both, and without a doubt, an absorption (propane) type is more efficient. It's slow to get going, but once it does, it sips propane and can run for weeks. Ideal for boondocking.

When you put heat in to get cold out I would not say it’s “more efficient” but it does use less electric power.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
How I spend the winter.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/18 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Obviously a good quality pure sine wave inverter is required..

Not needed with a Samsung because they use DC compressors. Even AC compressors will run on MSW but you loose 15% efficiency so I installed a separate 1000W PSW and two batteries (will power for 30 hours) my 21 cuft as we boondock often.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Dometic or residential refrigerator?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS