Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Sensar IV Antenna
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Sensar IV Antenna

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/18 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we bought our Winnie, the Sensar II I think, may have been a II, was not working well. It had been hit and straightened out and the PCB was no longer weather proof, I replaced it with an old 1989 Batwing, model unknown and I've been happy with that. Well were going to be doing some boon docking and I decided to get the Sensar IV w/the Wingman.

I just installed it and did a search and got 188 digital station and 20 some analog. So from where we live, we can receive Channel 6 from Santa Barbara, not well but almost watchable. With the Sensar IV, clear as a bell. A real surprise to me. I had to get stuff put away so I haven't done any exploring, channel 64.1 is as high as it goes.

Before the changeout, I got 63.5, so there is some change.

More tests later. We are spending next week in a campground with no TV reception. There were two channels before the conversions but none now. Maybe we'll get something now.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
95 Suzuki Sidekick 4X4
Stowmaster 5000

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/18 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might as well pop for the SensarPro signal strength meter and amp. Lets you rotate antenna to peak the signal and amplify or attenuate your signal.

Can make a big difference.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/18 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sensar IV best you can buy. Follow above advice on the Sensar Pro.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

lj2654

Weeki Wachee, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/18 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i replaced mine with the sensar IV and also put in the senser pro, what an amazing improvement.

2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/18 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well lets wait untill we get back, maybe the DW will like the improvement and would like more.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/18 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

Might as well pop for the SensarPro signal strength meter and amp. Lets you rotate antenna to peak the signal and amplify or attenuate your signal.

Can make a big difference.

AMong other things the Sensar Pro is a signal strength meter that makes aiming easier..

it has 3 buttons. Starting from the OFF (Park cable selected) position tap the top button one time

SCAN mode it will seek out the strongest digital carrier and display the carrier channel number (NOT necessarly the station number. your TV figures that out later) and strength. You can then peak.. Generally TV transmitters are all close so that should work less you are too close to the towers.

Next mode I forget what they call it but you can page through ALL the carriers it found and choose one to peak on if you wish (uses the other two buttons)

Next is manual YOU use use the two (Up/down) buttons to pick the carrier channel. I often use this mode when I know what to peak on

Next is GAIN.. adjustable. I am guessing "10" is the same as the old wall plate. you can make it stronger (up to 20) or weaker (NOTHING).

Next is VOLUME (You know about those annoying sattelite beeps. It does the same thing) for use when you can not see it and rotate the antenna at the same tine.. Mine is set to ZERO.

IT added several stationns and greatly redued aining time.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/18 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With my Sensar IV antenna and the Sensar Pro inside, I am good for over 60 miles over flat country.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 wife, 1 dog(?)

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/18 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

When we bought our Winnie, the Sensar II I think, may have been a II, was not working well. It had been hit and straightened out and the PCB was no longer weather proof, I replaced it with an old 1989 Batwing, model unknown and I've been happy with that. Well were going to be doing some boon docking and I decided to get the Sensar IV w/the Wingman.

I just installed it and did a search and got 188 digital station and 20 some analog. So from where we live, we can receive Channel 6 from Santa Barbara, not well but almost watchable. With the Sensar IV, clear as a bell. A real surprise to me. I had to get stuff put away so I haven't done any exploring, channel 64.1 is as high as it goes.

Before the changeout, I got 63.5, so there is some change.

More tests later. We are spending next week in a campground with no TV reception. There were two channels before the conversions but none now. Maybe we'll get something now.

Are you concerned that the reception of 188 digital and 20 analog is "not enough"?

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/18 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have said this before.. Some folks have done independent lab testing on teh SENSAR line v/s the JACK and a few others.. NOTHING and I mean NOTHING beat the Sensar IV for range.

Tom_M

New Hope, MN

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/18 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No one has done an actual lab test of RV antennas. SCVJeff did use a spectrum analyzer (which is a lab grade unit) to compare the Jack antenna to a Winegard Sensar (aka Batwing) antenna. Here's a link to his results:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27171026.cfm

He did an exceptional job, but it was not in a laboratory. Jeff seems to have abandoned this forum. He has not posted for quite some time.

I have both a Jack and a Sensar IV and I find that the Jack is on par with the Sensar for UHF. For VHF the Sensar outperforms the Jack big time.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Towing 2013 Smart Car

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Sensar IV Antenna
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS