Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Grand Design Quality
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Grand Design Quality

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Ralph Cramden

Not on this rag of a forum

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/19 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

If you thoroughly read the forum you'll see they're built like everything else out of Indiana.

Correct, lots of posts like this.

"I just purchased a 2019 Reflection 303 RLS. I thought I did my homework on this trailer. I studied all the web sites, I looked at these trailers in person, I read literature, and I did a search for "best 5th wheels". Everything pointed to a Reflection trailer. So, I bought one. I have had this trailer for a little over a 2 months now, and I am already having problems. The bathroom floor squeaks so bad it's hard to believe GD hasn't come up with a design change. The propane hose running into the bottom of the kitchen slide is run in such a fashion that it has been pinched (almost flat) between the kitchen slide mounting bolt and the frame of the trailer. And, I just noticed a problem with the linoleum in the kitchen where the kitchen slide has made contact with the floor. Again, I have only had this trailer 2 months and I am experiencing problems Oh, I've had the trailer out one time. I can't get an appointment with my dealer until November, and, they are 2 hours away. Very disappointing."

You can go to the Forest River forum, the Jayco forum, Heartland, Keystone, or any and get the same posts. Just take out Grand Design and insert whatever brand you wish. You can line 5 of the same floorplan up on the lot built on the same day and they they'll range from Perfect to Lemon. Or simply drink the Koolaid.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/19 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at GD on line in my > 2 year search for a new FW and, between weight and floorplans, I didn't find a single one that would work for me. Because of that, I've never even looked at one in the flesh, but I wish I had. Not that it would have changed my mind, as I couldn't afford both a FW and truck at the same time, so had to work within my limitation.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/19 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been on GD forum, reading and researching for over a year, so yes, all vendors have "issues". Have been a member of FRF for multiple years. Own a FR product today. GD is probably not significantly more or less issues overall than any other design.

I have no brand loyalty, but stand by my evaluation that GD overall is a cut above even FR Cardinal and Cedar Creek from an overall design as well as customer service etc...everyone has their favorites. Didn't mean to piss off the FR/CC loyalists. I will say Cedar Creek does have some great service, if you can get to the Amish guy (name escapes me) who does a lot of the factory warranty work for them.

Anyone can nitpick any of them. And anyone can say others are a "cut above", or say the others suck. It's a personal opinion, and we all have one.

There's a lot that went into my assessment, not just the three hours on Sunday. At the end of the day, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the higher end guys, but you have to also remember, everyone uses the same components. None of them are perfect. Far from it.

Mike

* This post was edited 01/29/19 09:47am by Walaby *

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ralph Cramden wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

If you thoroughly read the forum you'll see they're built like everything else out of Indiana.

Correct, lots of posts like this.

"I just purchased a 2019 Reflection 303 RLS. I thought I did my homework on this trailer. I studied all the web sites, I looked at these trailers in person, I read literature, and I did a search for "best 5th wheels". Everything pointed to a Reflection trailer. So, I bought one. I have had this trailer for a little over a 2 months now, and I am already having problems. The bathroom floor squeaks so bad it's hard to believe GD hasn't come up with a design change. The propane hose running into the bottom of the kitchen slide is run in such a fashion that it has been pinched (almost flat) between the kitchen slide mounting bolt and the frame of the trailer. And, I just noticed a problem with the linoleum in the kitchen where the kitchen slide has made contact with the floor. Again, I have only had this trailer 2 months and I am experiencing problems Oh, I've had the trailer out one time. I can't get an appointment with my dealer until November, and, they are 2 hours away. Very disappointing."

You can go to the Forest River forum, the Jayco forum, Heartland, Keystone, or any and get the same posts. Just take out Grand Design and insert whatever brand you wish. You can line 5 of the same floorplan up on the lot built on the same day and they they'll range from Perfect to Lemon. Or simply drink the Koolaid.

Funny, though, in the first part of that post, they confirm that they made the decision based on lots of research and a preponderance of information that confirmed they were making the right choice.

Name me one manufacturer that doesn't have negative reviews and posts online?

I don't know where that post was made (since no link was provided), but how can anyone judge a single post without context? What are the other posts in that thread saying? What did the OP say after that? No context = no validity.

On the other hand, there is an interesting thread running on the GD Owner's forum. I'd post the link but there is a rule on here about posting links to other forums, so you can look it up yourself. The thread is called "what issues did you have after bringing your GD home". Some very good posts on there, both good and bad, including this one (which the OP on this current thread might find interesting):

"We bought a new 397 TH Toyhauler spring of 2017.
Since then I've had two substantial issues.
1. Hydraulic ram on L.R. Slide went out,
(a Lippert product) after several attempts by LPI to send the correct replacement I spoke with Grand Design personnel, they pulled the correct cylinder off a unit and overnighted it to me.
By this time I had run up some large costs with a mobile tech trying to get it fixed which I was paying for out of pocket, several thousand dollars.
Once it was corrected I again contacted GD, who had pre approved me getting it fixed.
Reported the cost to them at which time they requested that I take pictures of the receipts and email to them.
Received a check for total cost within a few days.
An understatement to say I was surprised, shocked actually.
The second issue was even more costly, again GD stepped up.
Can not praise GD and their personnel enough, great company, great people.
I realize my post does not specifically address your question but wanted to take the opportunity to express my appreciation of the brand and their willingness to support their customers. "

Go through their forum and you'll find a common theme: Excellent customer service.

Yes, they're all prone to have issues. Parts and pieces are going to fail. But the response of the manufacturer in dealing with these problems should be paramount in your decision to buy from them or not.

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/19 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been reading on the GD forum since 2014 when the 303 was the big new 5th wheel. Yes you get negative posts on owner forums. You also have to decipher those posts as well. Complaining about a vendor supplied part is different than complaining about a leak, bubbled roof, squeaky floor, paint rubbing off the kitchen island, under rated leaf springs etc.

I read the Forest River, Jayco, Keystone, Irv2, Northwood forums. You can pick and choose problems all you want. But spend time on the forums and you get a feel for what problems are MFG related and what are vendor related.

With that said I'd buy certain model GD trailers. Some I wouldn't. Where GD excels is in customer service and IMO unique floor plans.
GD knew they couldn't make a better trailer so to gain some kind of advantage and to try and set themselves apart from the rest, they went the CS route. It worked too. As you'll read many times thats one of the things buyers like. Everyone knows that most all RV's have problems. Knowing that you may get treated better than the rest is comforting to some.
I think it's called 'Marketing'.

* This post was edited 01/29/19 06:31pm by an administrator/moderator *

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/19 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cardinal must have really taken a dive in the last couple years since we sold ours and left the Cardinal forum. Before we bought the Big Horn in May of 2016 we looked at everything out there. They are all pretty much the same, put together in hours not days or weeks. All the vendor products that go in them are the same same. Chris

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

gmcsmoke

Butler

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/19 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sorry I must have missed it where cedar creek and cardinal offer a 101" wide body the same as GD. for the same price there are some key pieces missing.

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/19 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

All the vendor products that go in them are the same same. Chris

I don't necessarily agree with this. For example, the furniture (couch/theater seating) in the Cardinal's, in my opinion was of lesser quality. I couldn't tell the brand, but they were definitely NOT Thomas Paine, which is what is in GD. I bought Thomas Paine furniture for my TT and in my opinion, is the most comfortable and well made RV furniture I've found.

The fridge in the Cardinal was some brand (began with a K) that I've never heard of. It is a commercial fridge. The fridge in the GD is a Samsung fridge. Now, I can't comment about the quality of Samsung's fridge, but at least I recognized the name. Have no clue who FR uses for theirs.

The Cardinals and Cedar Creeks also have various little nits that bug me. For example, the control panels for all their stuff is a single touch panel, that I've read is prone to failure. At least with GD, the individual controls are separate and if one fails, the entire control panel isn't impacted.

Just small examples that, to me, make a difference.

Mike

* This post was edited 01/29/19 03:34pm by Walaby *

slapshot12

FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/19 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We looked at every brand of 5er TH we could find and decided Grand Design was the way to go. We both felt GD was slightly better build quality and I knew their customer service was exceptional. We found a Momentum floor plan that worked for us and haven’t regretted it at all. We’ve had it just over a year and no warranty work.

'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/19 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP was interested in Reflections. Big difference between the Reflection and the Solitude. Our Reflection came with an Atwood Helium fridge. The fridge has been OK but Atwood was bought out by Dometic and the Helium fridges are the only Atwood product they no longer support, so it is an orphan. The other appliances are pretty much standard for the price range. The Furion TV died after a couple of years and an LG sits in its place. Very few problems with the coach itself.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Grand Design Quality
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.